Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If U Got LosT And U Could Have 1 Thing What Would It Be

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    I don't mean to harp on it, but one on one, not many dogs are going to take on a cougar or a wolf, and oftentimes, people who claimed they were attacked by wolves, it turned out, that wolves were attacking their dogs. I know of situations where wolf packs have chased after dogsledders. Conversely, I've walked within 25 yards of a wolf in the wild and he followed me just out of curiosity. Bears are generally more bothered by small dogs than big ones because they're harder to swat away.
    I agree that wolves can be vary dangerous to dogs, they are intelligent hunters. One method wolves get dogs is by one wolf running out of the woods in front of a dog and his master, once the wolf has the dogs interest the wolf runs back into the woods luring the dog away from the human, once the dog has followed the wolf into the woods the rest of the pack jumps him and its all over.
    I don’t think a dog would win if it got into a fight with a cougar however I do think a big dog would discourage a cougar from attacking. I’ve seen small and big dogs stand up to things that could kill them and yet they were able to ward them off just by there ferocious attitude. Cougars have been known to attack humans and I still think they’d be less likely to if I had a dog. The combination of a dog and human would be more discouraging than just a dog or human alone. And like I said before, at the vary least it could distract the Predator away from me. I still feel safer with a dog then by my self. Though I have to say I’d prefer a human instead.

ya,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    wAs Up SuRvIaLiStS

Talking

Very good points, owl girl, one of the other things that wolves will do is let a female in heat go prancing around in front of dogs to lure them out of town and they (the males obviously, one of the weaknesses of the gender, not necessarily just the species..the gender) become wolf food. People often underestimate the physical prowess of wild animals. There is one caveat I still want to add though is...it depends on the dog. Unfortunately, these days most dogs can't hunt much better than we can and they're more likely to scare prey away than they are to help hunt it. Remember any animal that you or I would hunt for food is also hunted on a regular basis by those other predators and so has developed pretty keen senses of smell and hearing. A dog that is bred or trained for hunting, by all means. My favorite would still be a dog with its' own satellite phone though (Call for help Lassie, call 9-1-1, good girl Lassie, good girl,)
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

owl girl
    1. r u really a girl
    2. i have always wanted to go 2 alaska and ur profile said u wer raised in alaska
    wAs Up SuRvIaLiStS

Blog Entries

Cool Here puppy!

Quote Originally Posted by owl_girl View Post
    I’ve seen some really big dogs. Not that a cougar couldn’t kill a big dog but how likely would it try considering they don’t like to take risks. Predators go for the week. A good example would be a bear, they are scared of dogs not because dogs are more powerful than they are but because they stand there ground and make ferocious and loud sounds. I would however worry about wolves getting my dog because they hunt in packs, but if I’m there I don’t think wolves will try it. So if a predator sees me and a big brave noisy dog it will probably leave us alone where as if it just sees me alone I look a lot more week to it. Also predators like the element of surprise and considering dogs have better senses and are more alert it could warn me of the presence of a predator giving me the upper hand. And in the sad and unfortunate event the dog dos get attacked at the vary least it has distracted the Predator away from me. Plus they can hunt, keep me warm, be good company and discourage humans with ill intentions. So I’m still not convinced a dog is all that bad of an idea.
    Not to mention that if you were really in bad shape and you had to have food or die Fido would make a nice stew. Okay, before you all start jumping down my throat how many of you saw the film: "Shackleton"? Also my wife is part Cherokee and you know what they used to serve honored guests, right? Finally, we are talking about survival here, right?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by LiL' bunny fufu View Post
    owl girl
    1. r u really a girl
    2. i have always wanted to go 2 alaska and ur profile said u wer raised in alaska
    Lol yes I’m rally a girl, why? And yes I was raised in Alaska it’s a beautiful place and powerful, for example today something happened in Juneau AK where I lived part of the time I was up there. Just a few second ago I got a call from my uncle saying that part of the glacier broke off and is going to flood east Juneau. And as you probably know glacier water is very very cold. Its just another reminder of how powerful nature is, even in the city. Luckily my uncle isn’t in that part of Juneau. He said he felt shaking so my assumption is an earthquake broke it loose.

thats so cool
    wAs Up SuRvIaLiStS

not the glacier part
    wAs Up SuRvIaLiStS

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Not to mention that if you were really in bad shape and you had to have food or die Fido would make a nice stew. Okay, before you all start jumping down my throat how many of you saw the film: "Shackleton"? Also my wife is part Cherokee and you know what they used to serve honored guests, right? Finally, we are talking about survival here, right?
    If I kill the dog, after I eat him all the food will be all gone, but if he hunts I could get food over a longer span of time and not all at once which would be bad in the summer because he would rot and some would go to waist, and it would be bad in the winter because I could freeze.

where do u live now owl girl
    wAs Up SuRvIaLiStS

thats so cool
    Just wondering why did you want to know if I was really a girl? That would be pretty weird if my name was owl girl and I wasn’t

where do u live now owl girl
    In Minnesota.

i know but some people do stuff like that like make a USER NAME
    wicked girl
    and there a boy
    wAs Up SuRvIaLiStS

i probbly suund like a creep now
    wAs Up SuRvIaLiStS

i probbly suund like a creep now
    Well it was an odd question but don’t worry about it.
    I was just thinking, I hop my user pic doesn’t, look like a boy lol

huh,,,,,`,,,,,,,
    wAs Up SuRvIaLiStS

o it dosnt
    wAs Up SuRvIaLiStS

o it dosnt
    Ok good lol . So where are you from, is there god camping?

idaho and yep awesome
    wAs Up SuRvIaLiStS

owl girl. I see that you live in Minnesota and that you must like to camp. Have you ever been to the Boundary Waters up around Ely? I have made alot of trips there in the past several years. It is some of the best camping and canoeing in the world in my opinion. bear