Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive mostly complete FAK?

Default Inexpensive mostly complete FAK?

I know everyone has their own opinion on what should be in a FAK. I also know that all of the prefab ones always need a little extra something to make them more complete. I'm curious to see what ones you all have used or use currently that are very capable with very little extras needed for around $30-50 or less to put in my b.o.b.

If it is for a BOB, then you want it a little more comprehensive. Personally, I think a BOB should have a blow out kit. That means a minimal of gauze and compression bandage. Of course, a hemostatic agent will add a lot to it. Beyond the blowout kit, everything else is just drugs, tape and gauze.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I don't use prefab ones and I don't own one that has less that $30-$50 in it. A first aid kit, to me, should be like anything else. Plan for the worst. Since it's my life or the life of a loved one or friend that I will most likely use it on I didn't spare the coins. I laid out what I thought I needed and put it together based on that. I have a FAK in each vehicle and one that I keep at home or take hiking. I also have a couple of trauma kits.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Scout185,
    Build one that fits your level of training and skill. I know that sounds kind of condescending but I promise it is not meant that way. Just not much use in packing suture supplies if you do not know how to use suture supplies.
    GLOVES, bandaids, tape, 4X4s, a couple of rolls of Kerlix, some Coban are good to have in a simple, inexpensive kit. I am a pretty big fan of the SAM splint also. a tube of superglue maybe. Tweezers, trauma shears, maybe a clamp or some forceps??After that it is gonna be pretty much up to what you know and how comfortable yo are with using stuff. There is tons and tons of information on the net about first aid kits. Go do some reading. Please come back and tell us what you decided and why. We can always learn from each other.
    Last edited by DSJohnson; 12-28-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

Scout185: Both DS Johnson and Rick make excellent points. There's a time to watch your spending, but anything that can save life and limb is not it! Check out post #8 of this thread:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...t=Condor+Pouch

and see what Rick packs in a Condor Rip-Away EMT Pouch. Somewhere there are even pics if he could post them!....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Here's one FinallyMe put together.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...t=condor+pouch

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...t=condor+pouch

Here's mine:

First Aid Kit – Condor Rip Away Pouch

Total weight including pouch is 2lb 9oz.
    1 oz triple antibiotic ointment
    2 bandage guage roller 2" x 6 yards
    1 EMT shears
    1 needle forceps
    2 tweezers
    1 nail clippers
    2 closure strip 1/4" X 1 1/2"
    4 6-0 Polyester Fiber Suture with 3/8" scalpel point needle (1 per pack)
    2 Povidone-Iodine Prep pads
    18 Alcohol Prep Pads (fire starter, too)
    1 instant cold compress
    2 Little Hotties hand warmers
    1 4" x 4" sterile pad
    1 5" X 9" ABD Pad Extra Absorbent
    1 3" X 8" gauze bandage
    3 Butterfly closure
    11 regular bandaids
    1 one inch self-adhesive bandage
    4 sets of gloves
    30 Hydrocodone 500 Mg tabs
    12 Cipro 500 Mg tabs
    30 Amoxicillin 500 Mg tabs
    1 50 g QuikClot Sport
    2 6" wooden splints
    Assorted sizes of Moleskin Plus
    1 Dressing, First-Aid, Field, 11 3/4 inches square
    11 plastic snip bandaids
    2 Insect Sting relief towlettes
    12 antihistimines
    2 twelve inch roles of one inch Velcro strapping (splints)
    1 25-foot piece of paracord
    1 box Luden's cough drops
    1 Fresnel lens
    1 BIC lighter
    4 1 use size Triple Antibiotic ointment
    2 antacid tablets
    2 acetaminophen tablets
    6 Loperamide Hydrochloride (anti diarrhea)
    1 1" roll guaze
    10 Q tips
    1 tube chap-ez
    1 splinter remover
    1 single use tube of neosporin
    2 single use tube of First Aid Burn Cream
    1 Burnaid Burn Gel
    1 NexTemp disposable thermometer
    1 First Aid Pamplet
    1 36” SAM Splint (the Sam Splint is folded into thirds and strapped to the bottom of the kit)
    1 bottle Refresh Tears
    12 Orajel medicated tooth swabs
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I only was looking prefab to get the basics without spending an and a leg on band aids and 4x4s etc because buying all that individually would add up to far more than a prefab. I know you can never be too prepared especially for first aid but when space and weight is concerned do in really need a whole box of band aids and non stick pads just for example. Thanks for the suggestions I'll look into the links and the lists of items and weigh my options and get back with you. Thank you guys.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

30-$50? A good book, a bottle of antibiotics and a bunch of cloth such as cut up t shirts. Improvise the test. Better to know what you need and make it then have it and not know how to use it...

As far as my training goes I have boyscout training, being a parent training lol and I am a first responder member at my work but that training is meant to only handle a situation until the squad gets there. But my scout training is geared toward being in the middle of nowhere so much more relevant in this situation. I was also looking in the first aid cabinets at work and they have a lot of small one time use items like triple antibiotic cream, burn cream and other items also so I may have found a source for light weight and convenient items lol. But the larger items such as wraps and bandages I'll be looking for online deals. I found a cabelas "range bag" that has a lot of compartments that would be awesome for a very well stocked fak.

Do any items have a shelf life

Quote Originally Posted by scout185 View Post
    Do any items have a shelf life
    Sadly yes most everything does.

Depends on how it's stored too. Sometimes my bag sits in a hot vehicle in the summer. So far I was lucky. Used a 2 year old NPA and OPA on a cardiac arrest Christmas Eve, and it wasn't brittle and worked fine. Other things like tape and Kerlix may be permanently glued to itself, hot and cold packs trash.

Drugs and saline are the biggest things that needs to be replaced, and kept cool while stored.
    Last edited by RandyRhoads; 12-31-2013 at 10:18 AM.

I have never seen an expiration date on triple antibiotic cream or burn cream so how long does it last unopened

Quote Originally Posted by scout185 View Post
    I have never seen an expiration date on triple antibiotic cream or burn cream so how long does it last unopened

I honestly don't know about those. They may not have one, or if they do, extremely long? Read the package, and if it doesn't specify contact the manufacture?

For storing a FAK in your vehicle, but it in a cooler. That will keep it from being affected as much by temperature extremes. All you need to do is open the cooler and pull out the FAK and you're good to go.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    For storing a FAK in your vehicle, but it in a cooler. That will keep it from being affected as much by temperature extremes. All you need to do is open the cooler and pull out the FAK and you're good to go.
    Excellent idea Crash. Now I don't have to have my cooler keep getting in my way at home too.

Although it might look funny, I can see it now.

Pull up on scene. "My friend has passed away..." I pull out a cooler. "What are we going to have a toast in his memory or are you going to try and help?!" Haha...

It is good to start building your FAK around your level. Once that is done, don't be afraid to add items above your level. You may not know how to suture but if you have the suture kit and someone happens to be around that does know how to suture, then you'll you'll be glad you had them.

Luck trumps skill.......
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

One with the Wilderness Rangefinder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
    I honestly don't know about those. They may not have one, or if they do, extremely long? Read the package, and if it doesn't specify contact the manufacture?
    ((triple-antibiotic salve))
    Honestly, if you're worried about it, replace it with a couple squeeze packets of HONEY. Sounds goofy? It doesn't spoil. It is an anti-biotic, anti-bacterial, anti-microbial. Sounds crazy--I know--it did to me too years ago. Then I tested the theory after opening my finger up on sheet metal. Applied nothing other than honey and a dressing after suturing for a solid week (twice a day). ZERO infection, swelling went away almost immediately, healed fast. Been doing it ever since with same results.

The problem with using honey is most honey isn't. Most commercial honey has been ultra filtered to remove the pollen and contains high fructose sugar or other sweeteners. Unless you obtain honey from a known source then the chances you are actually getting honey is pretty slim these days. Sad but true.

One with the Wilderness Rangefinder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The problem with using honey is most honey isn't. Most commercial honey has been ultra filtered to remove the pollen and contains high fructose sugar or other sweeteners. Unless you obtain honey from a known source then the chances you are actually getting honey is pretty slim these days. Sad but true.
    True enough, but it's pretty easy to look for the ones that are not contaminated with a bunch of extra garbage. Even buying a pound of raw in the jar is easy to put in any kit. A vacuum sealer is your friend in many ways. The one I have in the cupboard is only used for food about 50% of the time. I use it for gear easily as much.

Actually, it's not. Honey that has been ultra filtered to remove the pollen and had other items added to isn't necessarily noted on the label. Here's a pretty good article that talks about the fact that even testing does not identify the bad stuff because they often don't test for the right things.

http://www.foodsafetymagazine.com/ma...ion-detection/