Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not a "what is your favorite knife" question. Instead it is a "What is your favorite

Thumbs up Not a "what is your favorite knife" question. Instead it is a "What is your favorite

I am not and never have been a big fan of multi-tools. Having said that which one do you have in your kit and why/how did you make your choice? If you do not could you offer some insight as to why you do not think they are worth the investment/effort?

My favorite multi-tool is probably my Leatherman Flair. It has a great assortment of useful tools. My old Gerber multi-tool is also a fave; it's very heavy duty and it was given to me by my dad probably 25+ years ago.

I have a Leatherman Kick (no longer produced) that carries well when clipped to my left hand trouser pocket. It seems to have what is needed for general use, and it fits in well with my Victorinox Spartan Swiss Army Knife. These are all the daily tools I really need.
    Most of the time, a multitool is not really needed, but when a pliers is needed there is really no substitute for the pliers.
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 12-25-2013 at 03:28 AM.

I guess my decision would depend on what kind of kit I'm prepping. In a BOB, I would definitely have one. GHB? Wouldn't... but that's just me.

I no longer include my particular MT in my outings because of it's weight (8.5 OZ). It is a cheapo, and I'll eventually bite the bullet and try to find a light-weight quality MT, but haven't done much searching. Also, several functions of the MT are already included in my pack: full tang hipside knife, old pocket knife, folding saw, so I can't justify the MT's extra weight for my particular type of outings. BUT - I'm always in the woods, cutting trees, roots, vines, whatever. Nothing metal. I never have a need to cut wire, use pliers, assemble/disassemble anything with screws, nor file anything down. I open cans with my old knife. But these needs would be absolutely essential in a SHTF situation, hence my including a MT in a BOB.
    Last edited by BushTech; 12-25-2013 at 04:25 AM.

I have a Gerber Suspension in my tackle box that I rarely use. But that is the point, right?: it will be there in a nice small compact and light package of handy tools when I do need it.
    Truth be told, I have a Gerber Suspension in my truck kit and my PSK/hiking bag and my BOB.
    I kinda like that model.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

I have a Leatherman Sidekick in my fishing bag. I've used it here and there. I also have a Leatherman Wave I carry when I'm hunting or working. I have a Minimag and a Fischer Space Pen in the side pockets. I always seem to find a use for it when i have it on me. I have tried other brands of M/T's but they always seem to break on me. The leathermans seem to be the only ones I can really torque on.

I have a couple of Gerber Sport MTs that never see use. I never carry them because I've never needed them and don't need the weight. I've yet to find the tree or bush I need to use the pliers or screw driver on.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I use leathermans and gerbers. The one I'm currently carry is a leatherman wingman. I found a leatherman at one of the big boxes for 19 dollars so I bought a couple. I use mine every day. At trap camp I use it to cut wire, poke holes, make a hobo stove. Just the other day I burned out a 5 gallon metal bucket and used the pliers to grab the hot bucket and move it. I use mine on a regular basis. If I don't have it on my belt I keep reaching for it and miss it. Back to the blade, it's the rough to go blade. I use it for scraping of gaskets, poking through tin cans to make hobo stoves etc. I would not want to use a good knife for that purpose.

One of these days I want to get a multi-tool with replacement cutters at the wire cutter area. And one of those vise grip type multi tools.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Thank all of you for your input. I appreciate the insight and your opinions.

I just made it threw Christmas morning with a Leatherman Wave...lol. its a nice quality tool, the blades do not hold an edge worth a crap but they are easy enough to to resharpen. The handles are rounded and you can open the blades, file, and saw with the tool in the closed position, it will not pinch your hands to bad. It is very handy on fishing trips and actually will get you by for most minor tool needs during a typical day. Negatives its heavy and bulky and for me its a double carry as I will carry a fixed blade knife also, but that is just me, the saw works ok, but for hunting I will carry a folding saw with a lot more cutting power for clearing shooting lanes etc. It was giving to me by a vendor so I can not gripe about the price.
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/

I have 4 multi tools. 3 Leathermans and one Gerber. The Leatherman and the Gerber were given to us to test at SERE. The Leatherman was the smooth sided original model and the Gerber was the one where the plier jaws slide out the end. Hands down we picked the Gerber because we couldn't open the Leatherman in cold weather with gloves on. We did prefer the needle nose pliers of the weatherman though. I have since gotten a Leatherman Charge Ti which I love and have it with me everywhere I go. The textured sides of the Charge Ti allow me to open it even with gloves on.
    I know what hunts you.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I have both the Leatherman Wave and the Gerber mentioned by Sarky. It would be hard to pick one over the other, as they do differ slightly in construction and function(s). I do not carry either as EDC, rather I choose depending on what I anticipate doing that day.

I too have a Gerber Suspension,usually on my belt,and I do tend to use something on it everyday,though a full on multitool of that ("full") size probably isn't needed that much. It's nice in that all tools lock when open too (a feature much misses with others at the same price-point that I've used). I also keep a Gerber Bear Grills mini-multitool in my Altoids kit,it feels to me like a mini-Suspension tool,LOL

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by The DC; 12-25-2013 at 07:38 PM.

A Leatherman Wave is always on my belt and it is used often.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I also have a gerber suspension. Actually, I have a couple. Its very comfortable, and I like that the pliers stay open. Never had a problem with em, and I recommend getting one!

I have a couple of Leatherman Super Tools. I keep one in my truck with my GHB. The other stays in my BOB. I rarely ever use them so i keep them where I think I may need them most.
    I do have a Leatherman Micra. It is a small MT but works well for small task. I keep it in my camera bag.

I have several and use one often. I have carried a sog multitool for years, it replaced my leatherman wave. I don't use it everyday but I do use it enough to feel lost without one. Mostly I use the pliers and the screwdrivers, I also carry a pocket knife and a belt knife so I rarely use the blade.

I will say this, I hop a plane in the am. I cannot bring my knives......but I did send ahead a lock blade 4 1/2" knife and a multitool, which happened to be a leatherman wave.

I EDC a Gerber Sportsman and use it often. Needle nose for hot objects and getting hooks out. Wire cutters for cables, steel leaders, and zip ties. Screw drivers for battery compartments, prying open containers, and pushing pins out. An extra blade is always good to have for a back up. The can opener has been used as designed and to make a few can stoves and the file has come in handy for getting rid of burrs on blades until a proper sharpening could be done. I find mine useful on hikes, fishing, daily tasks, and when things just come up.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Anyone remember that video about using an axe for survival in Canada, filmed back in the 40s? It was featured a few months ago here. Regardless, that convinced me that my favorite multi-tool is an axe.
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

As far as screwdriver and plier capabilities are concerned, I keep an actual set of pliers (with built in wire-cutter) in my BIB (I don't believe in bugging out) along with a ratcheting handle with interchangeable screwdriver heads, because I've bent/broken far too many multi-tools, or found them to have inadequate torque for jobs where the real tool can't be beat. I'd say they work in a pinch, but it's like trying to shoot a moose with a .22 lr. Doable, proven to have worked at least once, but not ideal, and all about using it veeeeeerry carefully.
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous