Thread: The Swiss Arrow

Default The Swiss Arrow

If you have a length of good paracord, you have a weapon.
    Used in much the same manner as the Atlatl, the swiss dart increases throwing strength by adding in an extra tool.
    The arrows take a similar amount of time and have a similar method of crafting to the atlatl arrows/darts. Fletching, a point, and a small notch where the cord goes.

For more information, as well as a pretty good visual, I suggest watching This video.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Very interesting! I will have to try that when the warm weather returns.

When I was a boy in the early 1950's we made whip darts similar to this. *Lots of fun.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    from this site
    http://www.primitiveways.com/shingle_dart.html
    Happily tangled in my nets at
    http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

I have heard of whip darts, but never looked too much into them. My friend Tycho from the medieval reenactment group/battle game I'm in had brought Swiss arrows to my attention, and found it to be something worth sharing. They're not particularly old; I think they are MAYBE a few hundred years old tops (at least from my own research), but they're extremely simple, easy to craft in most any survival situation; might save someone if they don't know how to properly carve an Atlatl due to their simplicity.