Thread: fishing net in BoB

Default fishing net in BoB

Does anyone here keep a fishing net in their bag? Seems like a solid item, lightweight, can gather food, be used as a hammock, or as a ceiling to hold some branches and leaves. If you do keep one, what do you think of it?

I keep a 3'x4' minnow sein and a de-handled landing net in both my backpack and my day pack (my version of BOB, I guess). In my country, laced with mountain streams, I can pull up a bounty of food any time with these.

I also carry lightweight mosquito head nets, and have used them to fashion crawfish/minnow traps (and for acorn leaching, and foraging bags, and even to keep bugs out of my face)--a handy little weightless item to keep handy.

In my cushier truck/boat camping gear, I also keep a larger, 2 man minnow sein, and a collapsible minnow/crawfish trap (from Bass Pro).

I've found all to be very quick and effective food gathering devices, considering the weight to carry.
    "everything's temporary if you give it enough time" J Kilcher

www.HoofRehab.com

I don't keep a fishing net, but I keep several mosquito head nets which could easily be fashioned into a useful dip net.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have some but not in the bobs.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Had a nice antique one...till DW grabbed it to "decorate "....got idea from a Country Women Mag....so beware.

I'm a head net guy as well.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Thats what I was thinking, so light, why not? Even you head net guys can catch some fish and keep the bugs off ya (if youre fine with the fish smell!) without feeling the weight.

I think ill have to pick one up, and if it can hold my weight as a hammock, ill let yall know.

A gill net works well at times. here's a link to a affordable one, of course emergency only. In addition to fish small game like rabbits and birds can be tangled up in one.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Glide-Adv...vglnk-c1004-20
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Looks pretty good! I wonder if it could hold 230 lbs though...

ive seen some pages with instructions on how to make a 550 cord net..I may give that a shot.

One with the Wilderness Rangefinder's Avatar

Backpacker's hammock works well. They're compact, strong, light, and large enough to do multiple things. Fishing (dip-net), small game trap, gear stowing, etc.

Randyt It is my understanding that this gill net is only 1/2 of a great kit,the other 1/2 would be some waterproof fire crackers to move the fish to the gill net.
    Last edited by Mischief; 01-17-2014 at 08:31 PM.

Naaaah, that's what kids are for.
    "everything's temporary if you give it enough time" J Kilcher

www.HoofRehab.com

Our minnows run from around the time the first young deer are born to the end of the fishing season or fall. We have used seine nets, but almost always just glass minnow jugs. It would take about 7 minutes to fill the jug. Usually set it on the edge of an eddy. When you turn over rocks and there is life under them then that is the place to begin looking. Been many years ago since I last trapped many, but we would put big tanks in the boat and chainsaw our way up river. They are easy to find as are crayfish. With crayfish you just need some kind of trap and some old meat inside. Jugs are heavy and they need crackers. A net and a river could give you a steady food source that you could pack.