Thread: There's a brand new show for hardcore survivors!

Default There's a brand new show for hardcore survivors!

If other survival shows seem too staged or cheesy for you need to check this great new documentary series called "I Survived" on the Biography Channel on Mondays at 9pm ET. I work for Bio so I got to preview some episodes and I saw one where this guy gets trapped in his car in the middle of a blizzard for 2 weeks! You hear the story from the survivor directly and you find out how they managed to make it through. Just from that one episode I found what exactly you should do in those scenarios. Not only do you learn but you get to see them triumph at the end. One particularly inspiring moment is when he is about to give up after 1.5 weeks and is about to write a letter to his family for when they find his body. But at the last minute he decides not to since it would make him really lose all hope. Instead he decides to fight even harder to stay alive. If you want to know more about the show or preview clips you can at http://www.biography.com/isurvived/ . Does this sound like something you guys would be interested in watching?
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

In answer to "I Shouldn't Be Alive"? It will depend on the format and how it's presented. Sure, I'll watch it. Personal stories are always good. If it's real and believable it should be good. I watch reruns of Survivor Man so why not?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'll watch it. Might be fun to critique it on the forum. Hope for Biography's sake it doesn't get added to the same sticky with Survivor Man and Man vs Wild.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I shouldn't be alive is a pretty good show. What amazes me is that if most of the people had decent kits and were prepared with equipment/knowledge, more than likely their tale wouldn't be so harrowing. Like the boy scouts who went down the canyon without enough water, a map or a trail. Seems like a little prevention could have prevented it.

All that to say, who knows how many times I've escaped a disaster without even knowing it? Just glad to be here!
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

i also liked extreme survival and world of survival by ray mears, which featured accounts of true to life situations and people. anybody see the real heroes of telemark? great account of what those men went through.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

oh my god no more agruements of survival shows we tore this place up before cause of les and bear

who's agruing?
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by WildGoth View Post
    oh my god no more agruements of survival shows we tore this place up before cause of les and bear
    we haven't seen the show yet.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Blog Entries

Cool Yo Greta!

Here's an idea for one of your episodes; 2 guys decide to go out into the Canadian wilderness during the winter season for 30 days with nothing more than their knives & the clothes on their backs. They refuse to listen to the wise advice of other, more experienced, hands have to turn back after only 13 days but to cover their embarrassment, attempt to sell their group as a valid expedition team....oh, wait...sorry, that's already been done.

Here's one, get a really good looking English guy who used to be in the SAS to show that it's really okay to drink your own pee and how easy it is to live in the outdoors while all the time he sneaks off to stay in motels at the end of the days shooting...aww, crap! Somebody beat you too that one to! If I ever get a chance to watch your program I will, but remember; there's a reason we're called "The Wolf-Pack"!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I love these shows! I get to use them to show my students what NOT TO DO and how a little planning can prevent a whole lot of problems later.
    Some times things that go bump in the night....get bumped back!!!

Oops. Went to watch tonights show and realized.....I don't get the Biography Channel.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Default No interest

The biography channel has a limited audience.. Why? I have seen the advertisements on TV for that show.. (on other channels). TV shows tend to be 'hollywoodized'.. editing and programming what the producers think the audience wants to see, (second guessing) I have very little interest in TV shows unless they are relevant news programs. A show of this sort would not interest me.. Just as Survivorman doesn't interest me.. I have a suspicion that his methods are idiotic in that he goes out there alone tempting fate. At least Bear Grills has people around him in case something goes wrong. That is less of an agravation.

I was actually looking forward to checking it out. I think last nights expisode was going to be accounts from a survivor of a sinking ferry where the crew just abandoned ship and left the passengers and the survivor of a home invasion. Didn't see it, so don't know how well done it was, but I think the idea at least accentuates that you can be placed in a survival situation any place and any time.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I watched it last night, yes I have bio on my dish package. There were 3 segments one was indeed two ladies who ended up in a life boat after thier ferry boat hit a rock and sunk, another was a woman who was raped and kidnaped and managed to escape and how shw talked to her cartor and got him to trust her and th last was a man who was attacked by his crackhead neighbor had his throat slashed and drove him self to the hospital.

It was OK I won't go out of my way to watch it again,they kept jumping back and forth between stories. Definetly not a how to survive show, more like a this happened tp me and I am still alive. I rate it one milk dud
    Any goverment big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have...T Jefferson

I don't think anyone with any good sense would buy into any of these survivalist shows. I watched a couple episodes when they first came out and just shook my head in disbelief. Here's a link to something that I find interesting.
    Not sure if it has been posted before. I couldn't find it if it was.
    Man vs. Wild fraud

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cXtBTWk4Atw

Quote Originally Posted by Tahyo View Post
    I don't think anyone with any good sense would buy into any of these survivalist shows. I watched a couple episodes when they first came out and just shook my head in disbelief. Here's a link to something that I find interesting.
    Not sure if it has been posted before. I couldn't find it if it was.
    Man vs. Wild fraud

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cXtBTWk4Atw
    I watched the youtube link without sound.. didn't need to hear what was going on... My thought?: "I thought so".. Sheesh!! and I had thought Bear was legit all along.

Oh, Greta! I watched "I Survived" last night. The Christine and Heidi/Debbie/Jim episode. More accurately, I watched part of it. What is up with the format? One segment started up then it hopped to a second segment without finishing the first. What the ...? Where did the first one go? When it launched into the third leaving the first and second segments hanging I said "No. no. no. Enough Already!" I changed channels and didn't look back. Frankly, it was a yawner. A ho-hum sort of show that was on the order of watching paint dry. It wanted me to remember the characters and layout of the different segments like I even cared. Psssst, I didn't. Not gonna happen. My take was I survived part of the show.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yep wste of time, never again
    Any goverment big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have...T Jefferson

Most shows on tv are getting to be a waste of time. Back in Feb. I listen to a podcast on The WildBeat. The program asks how mass media might be affecting people's interest in getting into the wilderness. The podcast "Scared Indoors, part 1" and "Scared indoors, part 2".
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

Quote Originally Posted by mbarnatl View Post
    Most shows on tv are getting to be a waste of time. Back in Feb. I listen to a podcast on The WildBeat. The program asks how mass media might be affecting people's interest in getting into the wilderness. The podcast "Scared Indoors, part 1" and "Scared indoors, part 2".
    lol. Mass media? The sheer mind dumbing boredom should drive most people outdoors.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.