or watched a tv program and said to myself, " i should try that someday "

well, i'm actually gonna make a list
    not sure if i'll get a chance to put some of these items into practice

gotta start somewhere:

gather and eat cattails
    gather and eat tree bark
    make and learn to use a sling
    field-dress large game
    try my hand at flint knapping ( more than 15 minutes )
    use Calcium Hypochlorite to disinfect water and use that water for 2-3 days

i know there's more, just can't think of anything else right now

feel free to add your own
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

Make a fire hand drill style.
    Hunt, kill, and butcher a deer.
    "survive" 5 days in the desert in August.
    I could go on and on...

get more efficient with a bowdrill/handdrill

learn more wild edibles
    make a stone knife
    make a sling
    learn to use the sling I made
    make a bow

go for a couple of days without eating or eating the bare minimum to learn the effects it will have on me, so I know what to expect.

go for 2 or more days with nothing and end up with fire,water,shelter,and food (in a controlled environment just in case)

get the wife and kids more involved with wilderness skills
    (anyone know a good way to get them over their fear of bugs???)
    "I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein

Make char cloth,a dakota firehole,a three-stik bow and arrow,a double bow and arrows,an atlatl,a bone flute,shaving horse,try coal burning,traps and snares knifemaking,bannock,jerky,willow fish traps,tallow lamp thats all I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian-guerilla View Post
    i don't know how many times i've read something
    or watched a tv program and said to myself, " i should try that someday "

well, i'm actually gonna make a list
    not sure if i'll get a chance to put some of these items into practice

gotta start somewhere:

gather and eat cattails
    gather and eat tree bark
    make and learn to use a sling
    field-dress large game
    try my hand at flint knapping ( more than 15 minutes )
    use Calcium Hypochlorite to disinfect water and use that water for 2-3 days

i know there's more, just can't think of anything else right now

feel free to add your own
    Hey - that's a great idea. I'm gonna have to get around to thinking about trying that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I just made a 2 page list of stuff to do. Pottery, basketry, bow drill, flintknapping, trapping and on and on. I am currently on atlatls.

Banned

learn how to make fish traps and nets from found materials. I only know 2 fish traps, the willow cone trap and the weir.
    Master every fire starting technique.I can one match, ferro rod and magnesium well.
    Live for a week in the middle of winter with only what I have on and in my pockets and on my belt.
    More other things than I can fit here.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierarcher View Post
    learn how to make fish traps and nets from found materials. I only know 2 fish traps, the willow cone trap and the weir.
    Master every fire starting technique.I can one match, ferro rod and magnesium well.
    Live for a week in the middle of winter with only what I have on and in my pockets and on my belt.
    More other things than I can fit here.
    Hey did you get the fire board and spindle yet?

A friend and I have been talking for several years about testing our survival kits over a three day weekend. I suggested we set up a sound camp with stove, water, food, tents and sleeping bags, then walk 100 feet away with just what we normally carry on a day hike. While I've done a single night in a space blanket, I really want to test what it would be like to have just my cycling clothes, a space blanket, mag firestarter, multi-tool, first aid kit, cordage, tape, snare wire, emergency poncho, whistle, balaclava, iodine tablets, and whatever else is always in my pack (misc. bike tools, tubes, food, etc.). I'm hoping to do it by mid-spring so I can learn from the experience and modify my kit accordingly. In the process, I'm hoping to practice my skills in firestarting, shelter construction, trapping/snare construction, as well as, bringing back my experiences of living without.
    I'll rest when I'm dead...

Quote Originally Posted by endurance View Post
    A friend and I have been talking for several years about testing our survival kits over a three day weekend. I suggested we set up a sound camp with stove, water, food, tents and sleeping bags, then walk 100 feet away with just what we normally carry on a day hike. While I've done a single night in a space blanket, I really want to test what it would be like to have just my cycling clothes, a space blanket, mag firestarter, multi-tool, first aid kit, cordage, tape, snare wire, emergency poncho, whistle, balaclava, iodine tablets, and whatever else is always in my pack (misc. bike tools, tubes, food, etc.). I'm hoping to do it by mid-spring so I can learn from the experience and modify my kit accordingly. In the process, I'm hoping to practice my skills in firestarting, shelter construction, trapping/snare construction, as well as, bringing back my experiences of living without.
    Here's a test that Klkak did with a space blanket. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...=space+blanket
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I agree and it's good information that people know that a space blanket is not an insulative blanket like wool or fleece. It has limitations and is meant to augment, not replace other insulative layers.

I've used a space blanket on two occasions and a trash bag on one. The trash bag incident was my closest call, mentioned in my introduction. Another was a night hiking into a wildland fire that we thought would take 2-3 hours and ended up taking about 16 hours, with an evening thunderstorm to make things interesting. The third was an afternoon thunderstorm and wasn't an overnight incident, but still made me grateful for the blanket.

In any case, they're a hell of a lot better than nothing. Would I prefer to have my down parka and down pants along with goretex shell with me all the time? You betcha, but it's not going to happen. I carry what I think is appropriate for the forecast and down about 15F degrees below that and a space bag, an emergency poncho, and balaclava. So far, it's been enough to get me through, but there's no doubt they have their limitations. They are not a 25F degree sleeping bag. At best, they'll take your bag down about 10-15 degrees colder than it was designed for and keep you from dying, but not from being miserable.

In my experience and based on discussions I've had with my wilderness survival instructor, the best bet is to not strip down completely, but leave on your longjohns. This helps with feeling the cold drops of condensation, but no matter what, you will be wet. He recommended using your outer clothes on top of the space bag to give you dry insulation with a garbage bag or poncho covering the outside and protecting your clothing and help retain heat. Anything inside the space bag is going to be soaked from your sweat, so certainly your down coat, if you had one, would retain more of its insulative value on the outside of the space blanket than the inside.

My hope is to try two things. First is to build a large leaf pile with 12" of leaves and dry grasses underneath the space bag and 12"+ of leaves and dry grasses on top of the bag with a lean-to or a-frame shelter over the leaf pile. The other thing I want to try is building a 7' long fire in a trench, burying the coals, laying in a pine bow bed and sleeping on top of it in my space blanket. I've seen it in the westerns and in the books, but I'm not sure how well it will work with one side still relatively exposed to the elements.
    I'll rest when I'm dead...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dolfan87 View Post
    Hey did you get the fire board and spindle yet?
    Yes I did thanks. Been too wet here to use it yet. I got it to make smoke on a sheet of cardboard on the living room floor while a thunderstorm was going on outside.