Thread: Just sharing....

Default Just sharing....

So about 40 years ago, right after I had read “Alas Babylon”(for the second time) and “Malevil” I was very concerned about “What If” something cataclysmic might happen. So I gathered up some supplies and put them in a metal drum. I sealed up the drum and painted it with several coats with a brand new kind of paint that came in two cans, one can was hardener and the other was resin. It did not wash out of the brushes at all and I ended up ruining about 4 of my father’s paint brushes with that stuff. I buried that barrel.
    I did that in late May of 1974 just before I got married and went to boot camp. I spent the better part of a day with a shovel digging a hole in the floor of an old barn on a good friend’s farm. I dug the hole down to about 8 feet then I dug a hole in the bottom as deep as I could dig with a set of post hole diggers(probably about 36 inches or so) and filled that hole and the bottom foot of the big hole with inch and a half “crusher run” gravel. My thinking was to make a French drain to keep my barrel from “sitting” in water. I set the barrel down in the hole then I filled the hole around the barrel up with river sand. I used the dirt from the hole to fill the last two feet or so of the hole. I packed it down and swept it and piled about 4 inches more of the dirt on it so that as it settled it would not leave a depression. The next day I stacked about 100 bales of alfalfa hay over it to hide the fresh dirt and the disturbed area. My friend would feed the hay out over the winter but I hoped that by then it would have settled and the loose hay would be good camouflage.
    On June the 24th of 1974 I married my sweetheart, and on the 25th I left for San Diego and Navy boot camp. Then in September I started sub school in New London. From there we went to Damneck Va for Guided Missile school. 26 weeks of “A” school and then 26 weeks of “C” school and then 14 weeks of “Tender School” Next came two patrols on the blue crew of the Ethan Allen SSBN 608 then 26 months on the USS Proteus AS-19 in Guam.
    In the late fall of 1979 we came back home. In the spring of ’80 I drove out to the place to see what my cache looked like. The barn was gone and the whole place was now a plowed field. The barn, the house, the shop and the well house was all gone. Across the road was a brand new brick home. I drove up to the new place and knocked on the door. My friend’s mother came to the door and greeted me with a hug and a smile. My friend was married and living in Utah. His dad, her husband, had passed away two years before. The family had sold most of the place and she had built the new house with the profits from selling the 600 areas across the road.
    Over the next couple of years I tried probing to find the barrel. No luck. All my reference points were gone. Last year a gentleman that I had worked with for 15 years bought a high end metal detector. I asked him if he thought he could find a metal drum with more metal in it if it were buried 3 or 4 feet deep. He said “Easy” I kind of explained what I was thinking, trying to be pretty vague about the contents of the barrel. He said if I would get permission he would be glad to give it a shot.
    Last month after several trips out to the place we think we have found the barrel. I have not dug it up yet. I am not as fond of using a shovel as I used to be. My son is going to be around for a couple of days over the Christmas holiday and we have a plan.

Blog Entries

I can't wait for the second installment, and don't forget..... pics or it didn't happen.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Looking forward to what you find.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Nothing like a time capsule. I did a similar thing in 1965 and stuck it inside some remodeling my dad was doing at the time. I retrieved it in 2000 after mom died and we were selling the house. It brought back so many memories as I'm sure yours will. Good luck with your dig and I hope everything you placed inside the drum is still in good shape.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm intrigued!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Okay, so what did you put in that metal drum? Don't keep us waiting!

It will be to see if you get it dug up!

do you remember what you put in the drum, LOL?

I think I remember most of it. I actually spent some time trying to be smart about what to put in it. A thousand rounds of fresh G.I. 45 ACP in an ammo can. A thousand rounds of Winchester Wildcat 22LR in an ammo can. 600 rounds of fresh G.I. 7.62 X 51 in an ammo can. 100 rounds of high base No 4's in 12 gauge. No food, no water, no "perishables" at all. Kitchen Matches in an ammo can. A Ruger 22 pistol with two spare mags. An old, extremely used, take down 97 12 gauge Winchester shotgun, a couple of pocket knives and at least one Old Timer "Sharp Finger" hunting knife. A field jacket and some USMC utility blouses and two pairs of Tiger stripe G.I. cargo pocket pants. A BSA Field book, hand book and a compass along with some local topo maps. A G.I. Ruck sack of some kind, a metal G.I. canteen, cup, cover and pistol belt with some pouches for 45 mags and two M-14 mag pouches and one of those neat new Fanny packs that the Army had been using over in Viet Nam. An M-14 bayonet and sheath. A hatchet and a bow saw.
    I went to the trouble to hide/store a shovel up in the rafters of the barn so I would be able to recover the barrel without having to haul a shovel with me if I was in a hurry. I have to tell you I have really been getting a kick out of remembering my intense angst in trying to decide/imagine what I might need and what would make it "necessary" for me to have to recover my cache. I am fearful that the barrel rusted thru but I put everything in plastic sacks and set them up off the bottom of the barrel on bricks. It is supposed to be wet and rainy here this weekend but the day after Christmas it is supposed to be in the 60's and sunny.

We have most differently found where the foundation of the barn was and have put stakes at the 4 corners so with any luck what I hit with my probe rod is really the top of the barrel and not something else. It is deeper than I expected it to be. It is almost 4 feet below the surface of the field! Okay 42 or so inches. One thing about it though, my former co-worker has found a Indian head penny, two old quarters and a very nice old axe head while we have been looking for the barn foundation and my barrel.

Funny thing, the guy that owns the place now is from California and he has been very nice and accommodating about the whole deal. He does not live on the place but about 20 miles north of there. He retired from driving a truck abut five years ago and just bought this 60 acres about two years ago. It has actually changed hands 4 times since 1974. I think he thinks I am about a half a bubble off to begin with.........
    Last edited by DSJohnson; 12-19-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Oh how fun and exciting. Yes, please do take pictures. Before, during, and after would be great.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by DS
    I think he thinks I am about a half a bubble off to begin with.........

Aren't we all? Some of us are a down bubble off but I'm a sideways kinda guy.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Great story. Looking forward to the outcome.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

We have found all four walls/stems walls of the rock foundation. It measures 30' X 60'. The current owner has actually given me a key to the place so I can go out there just about any time I want. My son and I have dug several holes inside the foundation. My former co-worker has a box full of stuff he has found with his metal detector. We found part of a concrete foundation or something concrete anyway when we first started probing it was about 4 feet below ground level. I think it must have been some part of a drainage system (Old dairy barn) or something like that. Anyway after 40 or 50 hours invested over the last three years I have pretty well accepted the fact that I am not going to find it.

Well, That sucks....
    I gonna guess some one found it and dug it up....as with all that metal, any metal detector would be singing like crazy.

Too bad.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Too bad you haven't found it, but I'll bet the adventure was kind of fun.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Aw shoot. I was really looking forward to you finding it.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!