Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What 3 guns would make your list?

Just Hangin' Out...

Default What 3 guns would make your list?

There are always trade-offs in gear, and firearms are no exception. But if the SHTF most of us have too many options too carry should it become necessary to bug out. What 3 guns (model & caliber) would make your bug out list, and why?
    "I don't know anything, and I can prove it just by opening my mouth...

I love the idea that "Two is one, and one is none." until I try to carry twice as much!

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I would take my CZ .22 LR for hunting. AR 15 for longer shots hunting and protection.
    and my Springfield 357 sig cause I just likes it!!!!!!!! And can shoot it very well......................
    Soon the whole world will be silky smooth

Seems like we're going with this new thread... fine by me, since I found the "1 pistol, 1 shotgun, 1 rifle" thread a little limiting. If I could have three guns, that would be my entire aresenal thus-far... two rifles and one shotgun, no pistols.

If I could have whatever I wanted for my three though.... I'd have to go with a Ruger Blackhawk with convertable cylinder so it could handle .357 mag, .38 spl, and 9mm, Taurus Circuit Judge because it's a reliable carbine, double action, and can handle .45 colt, .410, and could theoretically shoot .45 acp with moon clips, and perhaps handle .444 in an emergency. I wouldn't reccomend .454 casul, but hear it can be done without blowing you up (probably... sometimes.... maybe)
    Last would be a long-barrel, highly accurized AR-15 clone with an ATF suppressor, preferably if I could take along a .22 lr upper for it, but even if I couldn't, I'd be happy with anything that can handle both 5.56 and .223 and have parts-interchangeability, with the ability to go semi-auto and cover long range.

With this set of firearms (plus the .22 upper for the AR) I could safely use 7 different rounds (if you consider the .410 to be just one round, even though that alone has a bunch of awesome variants of shot types and loadings) and could inadvisably add another two rounds to that list if I was in a pinch, and could speculate idly about using the .454 casul just for the sheer audacity of it but never actually use it unless I particularly feel like lining my doctor's wallet.

regardless, 7 round choices, in an accurate and durable single-action pistol with a good selection of pistol rounds for different needs, a double-action carbine with hefty stopping power, and a long-range capable semi-auto that can get game at a distance, or keep threats far away, just too good a combination to pass up.
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

[QUOTE=GreatUsername;421190]

I'd be happy with anything that can handle both 5.56 and .223
    Yea me to!
    Last edited by Canoetripper; 12-17-2013 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Wrong info

I would have to go with a good 12 Ga pump shotgun, 870 Winchester, Colt AR-15, and a good bolt action .22 rifle, CZ or Marlin, with lot's of ammo for each.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoetripper
    5.56 is .223 5.56mm=.223in Both the same

Actually, it's not. A rifle that specifically uses .223 may not handle the higher pressures from 5.56. However, a rifle designed for 5.56 can handle .223. I don't pretend to be an expert in this field so I'll just give you a link. Using a .223 rifle to fire 5.56 can get you hurt under the right circumstances as I understand it. Similar to .38/.357.

http://www.humanevents.com/2011/02/1...ould-hurt-you/
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Huh?

Only 3? Why?...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

Actually, it's not. A rifle that specifically uses .223 may not handle the higher pressures from 5.56. However, a rifle designed for 5.56 can handle .223. I don't pretend to be an expert in this field so I'll just give you a link. Using a .223 rifle to fire 5.56 can get you hurt under the right circumstances as I understand it. Similar to .38/.357.

Yup, you gotta check your barrel, make sure it can handle the larger load.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

Well Well......................Done leart something new today............................................
    Thanks Master Rick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Hey, that's why we're all here. A learning day is always a good day in my book.

Just Hangin' Out...

"Only 3, Why?" Because I have enough other **** to carry and keep track of... Even three, plus ammo, is alot to keep track of sometimes. Sure; In optimum situations we will bug-in and have everything we want. I am trying to clarify what we "need", which is far better to have decided before, than after. I would love it if we had everything we ever wanted, stored in multiple secure locations, and we were never forced to depart that area... Hey, maybe that will happen!? But as long as I get to dream: I want the economy to get much better, Corrupt politicians to go away, and true American freedom to be restored. Unfortunatly history has shown that none of the bad stuff seems to ever go away. Bad things have always happened.

Most here have stated that "Situations dictate tactics and gear". I fully agree. The problem is that the situation will likely not be under our control and will certainly be subject to change at any moment.

If I am in a rural area and able to travel openly with a long gun, great! If I am in an urban area where everyone is suspect, then concealment becomes the norm' with the necessity to "drop" or hide before search... Now I can't carry so much.

Hopefully firearms are only needed for grocery getting, then of course, we would have a different list. But we are not talking about a different list. We are bugging out into the unknown, with what we can reasonably carry. Gas stations aren't open, or if they are, we didn't take the mark or something. We can only go so far, and so long before we have to carry, on bicycle, or horse, or foot that which we "need".

So... I am curious to see what, and why, because it makes us pre-think many scenarios!

I didn't like the long gun, shotgun, handgun question because some of the folks I have come to enjoy don't even own one, or any of the three. And I believe they will be just fine. Personally, if I could only have one; It would be a tough choice between an accurate semi-auto .308 (big-game and defense at distance and near), because I can trap small game, or an accurate semi-auto .22 pistol (concealable, if your skills are good it will do most of what you need). I don't plan on engaging any superior enemy if at all possible. But of course, I may have no choice defensively! If marshal law is in effect, I want to stay unseen and out of the population, and travelling with a long gun is difficult to explain (Doesn't mean that I won't be!). There is just so many scenarios that preplanning what is best becomes difficult, so pre-thinking options becomes an excercise in preparedness... Hence, this question.
    Last edited by Wildernesstech; 12-18-2013 at 08:08 AM.

I love the idea that "Two is one, and one is none." until I try to carry twice as much!

Then again, I guess it depends on what you plan for. I don't see any of those things happening but that's me.

Just Hangin' Out...

And I hope you are correct!

Amen. The best we can hope for is that all our planning and purchases are a waste of time and money. Wouldn't that be great if everyone faced that dilemma?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I would have to go with a good 12 Ga pump shotgun, 870 Winchester, Colt AR-15, and a good bolt action .22 rifle, CZ or Marlin, with lot's of ammo for each.
    When did Remington sell there best product ever to Winchester?
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Just Hangin' Out...

I thought he just missed a comma? Nope, MISSED IT... Glad you caught it!

Just Hangin' Out...

Rick, I certainly hope that all preparation is a waste of time! I pray that none of this is necessary. But I would rather be ready than not... I certainly don't know if I will have done what is necessary, and while I do try to prepare, I also try to live well in the interim!

I had a fellow that I seldom talk to walk up to me at a Grand Opening party just last night to try and convince me that I need to start reading Edgar Cayce (who I read 15-20 years ago). He was in a great panic about Planet X coming close to us again, with all its power to cause catastrophe on Earth, and what he thinks is a perfect track-record. He tried to convince me that Scallion's (sp) map "MUST" happen, and that rapid changes in the Earth's plates place my sailboat in great danger. Who knows what will, or will not happen. I only know that many powers in this Universe dwarf me. If I meet a 600 foot wave out here it will be a short traumatic ride! What am I supposed to do about it? Bigger boat won't help. Guess I will just go to another party and hope the next conversation is upbeat!

Yeah. Probably nothing worse than having those continental plates slap shut on your sailboat. Perhaps, and this is just a thought, a surfboard strapped to the side of the sailboat. You can probably ride that wave all the way to Branson.

Just Hangin' Out...

LOL... I am old, but not quite old enough for Branson! And the surfboard is mounted inside on the coachroof. You can surf a sailboat too! Where she stops, nobody knows! Guess I will worry about it "if" the time comes...