Thread: SERE School Entry Process

Default SERE School Entry Process/Personal Accounts

Hi everyone. I've been wanting to become a SERE instructor for some time now. I've done a lot of research, but nothing could compare with personal accounts from you guys and gals. Anyone want to share the process you had to go through to become a SERE instructor? Are there any requirements or qualifications more crucial than others to landing the job? Any civilians on our forum working as a SERE instructor? Here's a little background on me if it could alter/adjust your advice. I'm 28, no military experience. Thank the Lord I'm still in great shape so I'm not worried about the physical requirements. Honestly, the only thing I'm worried about is my credit score being a little low and keeping me from getting a security clearance.

If my thread is mimicking another, just give me a verbal slap and maybe send me the link
    Last edited by BushTech; 12-12-2013 at 04:11 PM.

I don't know what/if the civilian pipeline is for becoming a SERE instructor. I do know that for active duty candidates that are selected they must go through about a year of rigorous OJT. You might want to PM Sarky. He's retired Navy and former SERE instructor. He doesn't log on as much any more, but will get the PM when he does.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The only civilian instructors we had were retired military from Hanoi Hilton.

I think you have to have prior military service and SERE training.
    In other words you need to go to SERE school first.
    Soon the whole world will be silky smooth

The only SERE instructor I've known was a former Army Ranger. He had a rather substantial military background before he became an instructor.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I have never been to SERE school, so I probably don't know anything, but I would say that a major requirement would be a military background. Other than that, I don't know why they would pick you, unless you are already running a successful survival school and are very well known in the community....think Cody Lundin, Tom Brown and others. If I was hiring instructors, I wouldn't consider anyone who hasn't either already been to the school, or didn't have a very well established track record of being THE subject matter expert (better than all others).
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Welp, I can't say I'm not surprised. No worries though. There are plenty of survival schools out there I could probably attend which could help strengthen a resume and increase the chances of getting on as an instructor at a civilian school somewhere.