Thread: New idea? Knife handle stash

Default New idea? Knife handle stash

Was looking thru Google images....and came across a kinda a neat idea....Don't think I have seen it before.
    Knife handle stash.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Pretty sure those crummy rambo-esque $20 survival knives they've been peddling for years have purported to have a "survival kit in the handle" as one of the main features for years now. Honestly, the only thing I could see storing in a space that small would be a roll of money or some matches, because if I want a survival kit, I'm going to keep it in my light waist pouch, and if I lose that but have my knife, a fishhook, single match, roll of fishing line, and a miniature ferrocium rod will leave me not much better off than how I am every day with the ferrocium and spare matches on my keychain, and my edc knife.

I don't fish, you see.
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

@GUN - I think you're confusing this with the hollow handle type knives.

@H63 - I think there are a few manufactures doing this. My concern - since it is usually in larger knives - would be that it may weaken the handle. Probably not an issue in smaller knives, but the bigger ones tend to be used a little rougher by many.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm not a fan of stuffing anything with a bunch of stuff.....and yeah, who hasn't seen the hollow handle $7.95 Harbor Freight offerings....
    BUT this was the first time I saw this idea......so thought I would post it.

As far as fishing hooks and line, I have a heck of a time catching anything with a full rig,..... unless of course there are fish raising ponds around.....so not on my short list
    Was a FYI, nothing more, nothing less.

The reason that knife would be better than the Standard Rambo hollow handle knives is that the Rambo knives have a hollow round handle that is welded to the base of the blade making it a miserable POS, because just a little battoning will break the handle right off.
    But the design in HUnters post would be fairly unbreakable because it is a full tang with just a cutout which still keeps it a one peice blade. If I was into stash knives, that's the one I would want!

I guess I don't like the idea that you need a key to open it up....though....maybe better to have a slotted screw that can be opened with a dime.....?
    This is a Buck Paklite skinner....wound some paracord on it, because I guess you are supposed to?.....Back up in hunting fanny pack.
    http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?...productID=3953
    Maybe it world work?

That's the main issue I see with it- needed a wrench or screwdrive to get it open. If you were in a situation dire enough that you were relying on a tiny little cache of gear inside your knife handle, how would you open it? Bear in mind that if you carry a multitool that's already several times the volume of the space inside the knife handle.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I guess I don't like the idea that you need a key to open it up....though....maybe better to have a slotted screw that can be opened with a dime.....?
    This is a Buck Paklite skinner....wound some paracord on it, because I guess you are supposed to?.....Back up in hunting fanny pack.
    http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?...productID=3953
    Maybe it world work?
    I like the Pack Lite and Pack Lite Skinner. Here's my take on the Pack Lite.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I dig how simple ESEE did the Laser Strike. It has milled slot in the handle holds a ferro/magnesium rod and a couple tinders. Makes a good backup fire kit.

You should be able to replace those screws with Chicago Screws that have a slot large enough for a dime or another knife blade to work. Of course, if you don't bother having an emergency you won't have to worry about it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Wow, another amazing knife, Crash! That would be pretty handy. I have a Buck Pak-lite and while the design is pretty cool the steel is pretty pedestrian. I'll bet yours is a lot better cutter/better edge retention.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus
    I'll bet yours is a lot better cutter/better edge retention.

So....would you say the knife is cutting edge? (I slay myself).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I like it........for some reason I am attracted to bare bones knives.....?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I like it........for some reason I am attracted to bare bones knives.....?
    Hmmmmmmmm. That gives me an idea.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel