Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Like Life Below Zero

Default Like Life Below Zero

I've been thinking about moving back to rural Alaska for about a year now. I lived there very briefly about ten years ago and have missed it ever since. When I was there previously though, I was a lot younger, had no idea what I wanted out of life, and I was just a seasonal worker at a lodge.

This last week, I watched that show Life Below Zero with my Grandfather and got almost giddy, thinking "That, right there, is how I want to live!"

My question is, does anyone here know how and where I would get started? I don't know even where to start this process.
    Last edited by c_anthony; 12-01-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Start back working at a lodge and then increase your circle of contacts.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    Start back working at a lodge and then increase your circle of contacts.
    Sounds like it'd be a good place to start, for sure. Suppose it's a good thing I've got all winter to look around, save up, and plan.

Maybe there is a local Alaskan newspaper online. Time could be spent looking in the classifieds for a job in the rural areas and then expand from there. Go slow and smart. think ahead.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

If you look at my blog, you will see where I went up and visited my friend Sue and even farther back I wrote about visiting her when she was in town to buy Kavik (and recovering from foot surgery). What I would suggest is move to Fairbanks. Get a job and a place in or nearby town. Half of this burough's population lives outside the city limits. This way you can support yourself as you learn. Learn and explore the area. A lot of us did/do this. Then you can move farther out.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    Maybe there is a local Alaskan newspaper online. Time could be spent looking in the classifieds for a job in the rural areas and then expand from there. Go slow and smart. think ahead.
    Our paper here in Fairbanks is http://www.newsminer.com. When you say "rural area" in Alaska, that means out in the bush and there are no jobs out in the bush. If you want a job in a village (small town off the road system) you have to live there first and mostly be a teacher. The other 5 jobs available are already taken by someone from there. You can't just fly into a village and set up shop. There are no hotels, no jobs, etc. Anyways, you can also find out a lot about the Fairbanks area by looking at our local rentals on Craigslist.

I wasn't really thinking of a job per say, more of a labour for room and board situation. More of a learning experience.

Aw I get it. Yea there are those but kind of rare. He could also look into being a handler for a kennel. My friend provides room and board for her handler but no money, unless they help with tours and then they get some. Not all handlers are allowed to run the dogs though, only the ones that they can trust.

So the general idea is move to, and work in one of the more populated areas while working towards gaining the skills, knowledge, and contacts to move on from that point...?

I'll admit, that's a bit discouraging. Fairbanks, for example, is huge compared to where I live even right now. To put it in perspective, my entire town doesn't even have 1% of the population of Fairbanks. I'd really been hoping to get away from large populaces as even the number of people here get on my nerves anymore...

I'm still looking and learning though. If you guys have any more suggestions or info, I'd love to hear it.
    Last edited by c_anthony; 12-02-2013 at 02:14 AM.

Well try a smaller place like Delta Junction. Look on a map and pic a place. But I'll say that Fairbanks is a small town with just a few extra people in it. Seriously, it may have more people then you are used to, but it still has that small town feel to it. There are also lots of little communities outside of Fairbanks like Two Rivers and Ester. I don't recommend North Pole because that place is kind of like the military bedroom community. Other then that, just moving out into the bush right off is doable but only if you have a buttload of money and some pretty decent skills.

Quote Originally Posted by c_anthony View Post
    I've been thinking about moving back to rural Alaska for about a year now. I lived there very briefly about ten years ago and have missed it ever since. When I was there previously though, I was a lot younger, had no idea what I wanted out of life, and I was just a seasonal worker at a lodge.

This last week, I watched that show Life Below Zero with my Grandfather and got almost giddy, thinking "That, right there, is how I want to live!"

My question is, does anyone here know how and where I would get started? I don't know even where to start this process.
    Well let's see, I know Kavik River Camp cost at least $50,000. Then there are the buildings on it and the MILLION DOLLAR runway. There are no more of these camps left that are not already bought up by the oil companies or native corporations. She is the one who broke the monopoly going on up there. That's why they fought her so hard. Then there is the capital one must have. Sue makes her living by providing fuel to people who are flying around up there. She had to have the money to buy the fuel and to charter planes to fly it up there to begin with. She also provides over night accommodations, a place for site seeing, hunting, etc; a base camp. Scientists, archaeologists, anthropologist, biologists, all sorts of "ists" fly around our north slope and those planes and helicopters need fuel and weather reports.

Money is definitely going to be an issue as I'm living just above poverty level at the moment. I've been an unpaid live-in caregiver for family for the last fourteen months, haven't had the time for a job, and that really isn't good on the wallet. I'll be out of this situation come April though, and do have *some* opportunities for making money before then, although not nearly that amount.

*sighs* I've got a long road ahead of me, I think. Wish I'd started years ago.

I agree with the idea of Fairbanks as a starting point. I was fortunate to arrive here on a paid relocation and I've often thought that I could not have done it on my own. However, my 19 yr old son did it on his own with a series of entry level jobs, temp work etc. and the typical $500 month dry cabin. We had to help him from time to time due to his initial lack of funds, but now just over a year later he is living well with secure employment and contemplating getting his own place.

Rural Alaska is just outside of Fairbanks and continues for hundreds of miles in any direction.

Yep, I got here with $700, a 2 year old and a 5 year old, and a rear wheel drive car, in late December, almost 10 years ago. I currently live in a dry cabin (though I am lucky enough to have an internal water system to sink and shower) as I save up for my very own little cabin in the woods. My path had been interrupted by many things, including my husband's death, a set back to say the least, but I'm still on that path, working towards my goals every day. I would already be "out there" but for my kids. I am raising them in the Fairbanks area as that is best for them. One is public schooled, one is homeschooled. If you have no kids, it'd be really easy to get to where you want to be with just a little bit of work and a little bit of time.
    Last edited by 1stimestar; 12-02-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by c_anthony View Post
    Money is definitely going to be an issue as I'm living just above poverty level at the moment. I've been an unpaid live-in caregiver for family for the last fourteen months, haven't had the time for a job, and that really isn't good on the wallet. I'll be out of this situation come April though, and do have *some* opportunities for making money before then, although not nearly that amount. ...
    Do you have any "professional" job skills that might be in demand in Alaska??

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post
    Do you have any "professional" job skills that might be in demand in Alaska??

S.M.
    I was a cook for about four years, and did some misc jobs before that including contracting, roofing, and general labor. Not sure how much it'll help me, really...

You can work 80 hours a week in the summer in the construction and roofing fields here. Then you have all winter to play around living off your Davis Bacon overtime wages hahahah.
    Last edited by 1stimestar; 12-03-2013 at 03:05 AM.

That's my dream come true! Haha. I'll consider myself "living the dream" when I can earn enough over the summer to pay my way through winter.

Sounds like I've got a lot to consider. Thanks folks.

C_Anthony, did you ever come back to this site? Any advance towards your goals yet?