Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living in the woods in northern MN?

Default Living in the woods in northern MN?

Hello I was wondering what would you bring in a pack for a long term survival situation in Northern MM? I would probably travel to Mankato, MN and travel to Duluth and make my way to somewhere where few people travel remote yet somewhere probably a small town where I could get supplies and get help if I needed it. I am planning on doing this in a few years. In the meantime I would practice more survival skills. I am completely aware of how this could end up but I've been thinking on this for a little while. And also the pack would have to be fairly light. I hate to admit it but I am very weak. I am 12 years old please forgive me if I said anything stupid. I just want to hear what you guys would bring for this adventure and what might be a good spot . Also feel free to voice your opinion.
    Sincerely,
    Ideath2011

I must say - you chose an interesting screen name for having the plans that you do.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Hello ideath... You've come to the right place to start learning things you will need to know. Start reading the forums here. Watch the how to videos. Start getting your parent/s involved in practicing the skills. Do you go camping very much?
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I must say - you chose an interesting screen name for having the plans that you do.
    LOL, that's the first thing I thought too.

Sorry ideath, not laughing at you we just want you to be safe. 1stimestar has given you some great advice, study and practice as much as you can, reading and watching youtube isn't enough. YOU NEED TO PRACTICE all of these skills before you decide to go on an adventure like that. Join the scouts, you'll make new friends and learn many valuable skills. Ask your folks to take you camping, camp in your backyard, there are many ways to gain the skills and knowledge you will need. Stay on here and ask lots of questions, plenty of nice people that would be happy to help you out.
    Last edited by postman; 11-30-2013 at 06:02 PM.

Try camping in your yard first.....learn the basics.
    Shelter/tent
    Sleeping bag/ ground cover/Bivey/blankets.....

See what works for you.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

You will need more than you can put into a backpack.
    You will need food something to carry water in something to cook in
    an axe maybe a saw matches or lighter or
    fire steel rope cordage fishing gear hunting gear snares a knife first aid kit
    signaling mirror soap tooth paste sleeping bag tarp or tent....................
    and above all you will need the skills to use all that stuff.
    This is a short list you should start by camping in your back yard.
    Maybe try to camp in your back yard starting fri. night and stay outside
    till sun. afternoon.
    Soon the whole world will be silky smooth

Do you live near any woods or open fields where you can roam freely? Just spending a lot of time outside and learning to identify local plants, animal behaviors, etc. can take you a long way in terms of gaining confidence in yourself. We are all surrounded by an amazing natural world that most choose to ignore.

Gear, supplies and skills are very important and though I'm new here too I can tell that you will get plenty of great advice in those areas.

If you study up on some cases of people having a bad or even tragic experience in the woods you can sometimes see that what they were lacking was a basic awareness of what they were up against.

You say you're weak. Don't make that an excuse. When I was 17 I was 5'3 135 pounds and I went to the military and was able to carry 110 pound ruck on my back with a weapon for 25 kilometers. Never under estimate yourself. When you begin to expect failure you've already lost. Use your strengths to motivate your weaknesses. Start training up. Do some hiking in the wood with a pack and get yourself ready. Because a long trip will require lots of gear. How I started an I'm sure most of us here is do some two or three day survival trips with minimum gear. Gain knowledge, from here, talking with some people around you, online, but in my opinion no advise from others can out do your own self gained knowledge. You and only you will learn and know your skills, self training, common sense and how you can adapt. Always adapt and overcome. I think what you're doing is great and I think most will agree that living with what the earth and nature can do for you will make you a smart, clear, and grateful person
    Remember- Stay Aware, Stay Prepared, Stay Alive!

I would bring a wheelbarrow full of DEET!

you still got a few years to get strong, do some power lifting at the gym to develop over all strength, which is good cuz you need to be physically fit when you survive out there

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Maybe it stands for:

"i'd eat h20 11"
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I work with a lot of 12 year olds, I am a Scout Master. First, about you being weak.....that is natural. 12 year old boys generally are a lot smaller than the girls, and are weaker. But, they are also about to start a major growth spurt. You are about to get big...fast. You will probably be full height by 16, but that varies person to person. Also, you are either in the 6th grade or 7th grade. Take advantage of sports. If you aren't all that coordinated, then join track or football. You don't need to do power lifting, but general exercise is needed. You are going to get a lot bigger and stronger in the next few years, naturally, but to do what you want, you will need to go a little beyond the normal. Take long walks through your neighborhood, ride your bike all over town, go on hikes in the woods.

I do advocate joining the Boy Scouts, but that isn't the only option. Look around for youth organizations that go outdoors.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Study practice and learn. Keep in mind that you have plenty of time to gain the skills you will need, and plan on taking at least one friend with you. If you can find an experienced person to go with you, your tirp will be a lot safer, and you will have the advantage of learning from an experienced person. Only a seasoned woodsman is safe taking a trip into the wilderness alone!

That is my name for everything

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Hello ideath... You've come to the right place to start learning things you will need to know. Start reading the forums here. Watch the how to videos. Start getting your parent/s involved in practicing the skills. Do you go camping very much?
    No not with my parents, my step dad use to go hunting, fishing, camping all the time 10 years ago now he says he doesn't have time for that. I go into the woods by myself most f the time. All the kids in my school are video game freaks. I have also done a figure four and caught a squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by postman View Post
    LOL, that's the first thing I thought too.

Sorry ideath, not laughing at you we just want you to be safe. 1stimestar has given you some great advice, study and practice as much as you can, reading and watching youtube isn't enough. YOU NEED TO PRACTICE all of these skills before you decide to go on an adventure like that. Join the scouts, you'll make new friends and learn many valuable skills. Ask your folks to take you camping, camp in your backyard, there are many ways to gain the skills and knowledge you will need. Stay on here and ask lots of questions, plenty of nice people that would be happy to help you out.
    As for joining the scouts I am fairly positive that cost money and my parents wouldn't like that also it would drive them insane just like basketball. And as I said up there I go into the woods often.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Try camping in your yard first.....learn the basics.
    Shelter/tent
    Sleeping bag/ ground cover/Bivey/blankets.....

See what works for you.
    I think I have outgrown camping in my yard. Me and my dad (not step dad) are going hiking in the Bob Marshall Wilderness this summer when I head to MT.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoetripper View Post
    You will need more than you can put into a backpack.
    You will need food something to carry water in something to cook in
    an axe maybe a saw matches or lighter or
    fire steel rope cordage fishing gear hunting gear snares a knife first aid kit
    signaling mirror soap tooth paste sleeping bag tarp or tent....................
    and above all you will need the skills to use all that stuff.
    This is a short list you should start by camping in your back yard.
    Maybe try to camp in your back yard starting fri. night and stay outside
    till sun. afternoon.
    This is what I carry with me in the woods. I don't carry everything on this list.

2 person tent
    Headlamp
    Estwing hatchet
    3 rolls of steel snaring wire
    Booklet on Edible plants and primitive traps
    Satellite view of the woods I go in
    Scrap antelope fur
    Scrap moose fur
    Battery powered lantern
    Cotton string
    2 stainless still water bottles
    Folding knife
    Kite string
    Waxed twine
    Another roll of cotton string
    Brass wire
    3 candles
    Fire steel
    Flashlight
    Duct tape
    Fishing kit
    2 pens
    Notebook
    12 feet of rope
    Cheap Walmart knife
    Vaselin soaked cotton balls
    Yellow feathers I plan to make arrows with these
    Small vitronox knife
    Cheap Taiwan knife hollow handle it broke while I was cutting down saplings
    I wanted a Mora but my parents got me this. Right now I don't have a half decent knife
    I plan to get a puuko
    2lighters
    Matches
    Hand warmers
    2 rolls of Jute twine
    2 carabinier s
    Gerber multi tool

Altoids tin:

Flat knife
    2 needles
    String
    Dental floss
    Brass snaring wire
    2 buttons
    2 blades
    Tinfoil
    2 band AIDS

7 pieces of flint in another altoids tin.
    Whistle
    Button compass
    Thermometer
    Sleeping bag
    Recurve bow 30 lb
    Sleeping bag

I'm pretty sure that's everything

Quote Originally Posted by xjosh40x View Post
    You say you're weak. Don't make that an excuse. When I was 17 I was 5'3 135 pounds and I went to the military and was able to carry 110 pound ruck on my back with a weapon for 25 kilometers. Never under estimate yourself. When you begin to expect failure you've already lost. Use your strengths to motivate your weaknesses. Start training up. Do some hiking in the wood with a pack and get yourself ready. Because a long trip will require lots of gear. How I started an I'm sure most of us here is do some two or three day survival trips with minimum gear. Gain knowledge, from here, talking with some people around you, online, but in my opinion no advise from others can out do your own self gained knowledge. You and only you will learn and know your skills, self training, common sense and how you can adapt. Always adapt and overcome. I think what you're doing is great and I think most will agree that living with what the earth and nature can do for you will make you a smart, clear, and grateful person
    Remember- Stay Aware, Stay Prepared, Stay Alive!
    Thank you I think I'll try hiking in the woods with a heavy load

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I would bring a wheelbarrow full of DEET!
    I think I'll just wear long sleeves