Thread: Drill and bow question

Unhappy Drill and bow question

Ok I tried for the first time today to make fire with bow and drill. Let's just say that if I were spending the night in the woods tonight with only my drill and bow....there won't be a rescue..it'll be a body recovery . I was using sycamore on sycamore because that's what I have dry and readily available. Also oiled the top board for lube. My first attempt was actually my best I had dark brown sawdust and smoke in probably a minute or less. But then my drill slipped. I tried a few more times but couldn't get as good a result. I then cut a new hole in the fire board and shaved the hardened wood gloss off the drill end. It was better but still not as good as my first. I tried for about two hours to no avail. Never got an ember. So now to my questions. Should I have continued to use the same hole on the hearth board even though after the first time it was really glossy and burnt looking (didn't seem to be producing sawdust either)? When I cut the notch for airflow is it critical to cut all the way through the hearth top to bottom ( as in take the whole pie section out)? I just notched it to about half the board width.

I'm really not familiar with sycamore, is it a hard wood? I personally have had the best luck with willow on willow, aspen and poplar are very similar. Most of the conifers will work as well. I've never had any luck with hardwood of any kind, just end up burnishing the ends like you did. I generally notch the hearthboard about halfway into the hole which will allow good air circulation and a place for the ember to go. Don't give up, try different types of wood, once you get it the first time it gets easier.

Yeah sycamore is a hardwood but it's a "soft" hardwood. I had read somewhere that it would be suitable. I'm going for a hike later this week so I'll be on the lookout for others. Cedar is very easy to recognize even when dead and dried out so I may try that.

Don't give up. I know it took me days and hours of trying to get the rhythm of it. And dozens of different a wood materials. But once you get it down to a personal favorite way it's easier. Here in Mississippi a bow an drill is difficult because of the humidity. Perhaps that is a reason your first attempt didn't create a burning ember. I know I have had that problem.

I find that I like chinese privet the best. When I make the notch, I go all the way through and bevel the edges out so the top and bottom both look like this: /\
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    I find that I like chinese privet the best. When I make the notch, I go all the way through and bevel the edges out so the top and bottom both look like this: /\
    Never heard of Chinese privet here in Western Kentucky. I notched it as you described and it did concentrate the sawdust a lot better and got smoke again but still no hot red stuff....lol.

However the internet know it all machine says it indeed grows here in KY.

I know you have seen chinese privet. It's a very invasive hedge that can grow as tall as trees here. It has small green leaves that usually stay green all year here (Guess it's not cold enough to kill them off here), small white flowers, small blueish-purplish berries, seems like it grows quickly in disturbed areas. If you drive around in wooded areas, I bet you'll see it along the roadside.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Gonna try to post a video of an experiment that I did. Will probably start new thread.

Catfishfiddler,

Is your thong gripping the spindle well? Try twisting your cord and rough up the spindle or even make it with hex or octagon-like sides to grip better. If you have a lot of slack or the cord/thong isn't gripping well you won't be as successful either.

I've not used sycamore either, but have had success with cottonwood and elms here.

Good luck!

I know they've got cattails in Kentucky! Pine for the fire board.
    Last edited by brittanymachine; 12-05-2013 at 09:52 PM.
    Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?

Quote Originally Posted by brittanymachine View Post
    I know they've got cattails in Kentucky! Pine for the fire board.
    Hmmm...cat tails...for sure! I'll check it out..thanks 👍

Not all pines are created equal. Many have a lot of resin in them, making them less than ideal for bow drill fires.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I think I've read that cedar works well?

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have not tried sycamore (don't know why not.. it grows everywhere here), but if it is glossing on the ends and not producing dust, one of two things is possible: the wood is not dead and decayed enough, OR it is just not a good wood.
    And yessir, the notch needs to go all the way through. remove it like a slice of pie, all the way to the bottom. This will allow the dust pile to nestle against the frictional parts for ignition. Hope that helps!

One with the Wilderness Rangefinder's Avatar

Experiment, play, and practice. Look for reed weeds. Mullen is one of my all-time favorites. It works well enough to even drop the bow and hand-spin it. Dry and brown is good. Avoid if it's turning black/gray--too far gone to use.

Hmmm...cat tails...for sure! I'll check it out..thanks
    Cat tails are a little more tricky. The tend to have a thin outer layer with the core mostly empty (kinda looks like foam-filled). One missed stroke with a bow breaks them really easy. They also wear down fast. You have to be a bit more picky when selecting your rod to find one that is sturdy. Short rod with a thick base is pretty important IME.
    Last edited by Rangefinder; 01-17-2014 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by postman View Post
    I'm really not familiar with sycamore, is it a hard wood? I personally have had the best luck with willow on willow, aspen and poplar are very similar. Most of the conifers will work as well. I've never had any luck with hardwood of any kind, just end up burnishing the ends like you did. I generally notch the hearthboard about halfway into the hole which will allow good air circulation and a place for the ember to go. Don't give up, try different types of wood, once you get it the first time it gets easier.
    One word.. Cedar.. I'm right at 100% success using cedar and would recommend that wood for a Bowdrill Fire in all my classes
    Not sure if I can post a video in here or link to one, but the best Bowdrill instruction I have ever seen is from David Wendell on YouTube
    Last edited by Semperfortis; 01-18-2014 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Semperfortis View Post
    One word.. Cedar.. I'm right at 100% success using cedar and would recommend that wood for a Bowdrill Fire in all my classes
    Not sure if I can post a video in here or link to one, but the best Bowdrill instruction I have ever seen is from David Wendell on YouTube
    You'll be able to post videos after you have 10 posts. It's part of the automated anti-spam software.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

cedar for the fireboard

maybe try yucca or mullein for the spindle ( perferably dried )

if you look around, you may see some dead yucca stalks around
    and depending on their location / ownership, you have a fire spindle
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia