Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help, How can DOG be prepared and made delicious

Wild game has more parasites than your common dog does...

I think they pretty much cook out except prions.

Here is how to prepare dog:

Kill and gut dog.

Skin it out

Leave animal in one peice, do not quarter out

Soak in brine over night

Put dog on large skewer and hang over a hickory fire

After approximately 4 hours of slow cooking and rotating over the fire

You now have a hot dog

Hey, thanks! Wildthang. May come in handy some day. What is BRINE? Salt water? Is the hickory just to add flavor from the smoke?
    Last edited by falconer; 12-13-2013 at 05:14 PM.

Thanks LowKey, you're so right. I'd have to be very hungry too, but that may be here sooner than we think.

Stewed works well. I have never had it roasted. Native Americans routinely ate dog in the 19th century. Not out of desperation or starvation but just like any other "meat" animal. Goats, bear, deer, elk, moose, sheep, pigs, fish, chicken, turkey, duck, quail, grouse and cattle all "carry" parasites and they are all part of our daily diet...well okay us meat eaters anyway. Dog is not more dangerous to eat than any of those others when it is prepared/treated properly. Now I have to tell you cat meat is pretty poor pickings in my experience. The mountain lion/cougar that I have eaten on several occasions has always been extremely lean and pretty tough. Very "dense" meat. I would not choose it if I have a choice.

I do agree with you Miz B ma'am..I think the poster was just tryin' to stir up controversy and cause a row.

Crash, I know there are cultures that eat really, REALLY, weird things and your link sure re-enforces my continuing amazement at what people will, willingly, try to eat. I thought I was doing good with the raw squid soaked in lemon juice when I was on Guam. Wow was I naive.

I have knowingly eaten dog. Mostly just to see if it was any different than any other red meat. It was in a stew and it was meat. That is about it. Good stew but then I like cooked onions, potatoes, carrots and celery!!
    Last edited by DSJohnson; 12-14-2013 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJohnson View Post
    I do agree with you Miz B ma'am..I think the poster was just tryin' to stir up controversy and cause a row.
    I can't believe that people are actually responding to this. Of ALL the things he could have asked, this is what he chooses? And people who now have, and have had dogs as best friends, and huge parts of their family, just sit by and don't call him on it? People who have mourned the passing of a beloved pet just sit there and chime in? There are culture that eat dogs but we don't.
    When we start, you'll know it's TEOTWAWKI.

Too much bull**** (talk). Anybody want to respect the man's question and ATFQ? It's legit. Keep your personal feelings and emotions to yourself.
    In a SHTF situation, we'll all be in line to get some Fido. Yes, you will.

Recipe #1: skin, leave whole, soak in brine overnight, skew and roast over hickory fire
    Recipe #2: ?
    Last edited by randyrandy; 12-14-2013 at 11:02 AM.

This recipe looks good.

wikihow.com/Cook-Lemongrass-Dog

Randy,
    he actually asked three different questions.
    "Has anyone had any experience 1. cooking
    2. preparing
    3. eating dog meat

In response to the first question I suggested stewing, should I have gone into more detail?
    In response to the second question I said I would prepare it like any other meat.
    In response to his last question I acknowledged that I have indeed eaten dog meat.

How did I not address and answer his question? What am I missing here?

Some animals are much better if you par boil them a few times and put fresh water in each time until the strong flavors are gone. I use brine over night for squirrels, rabbits and deer livers. Falcon, in Lake Atitlan, at the market, they used to sell iguana. I'm not sure if it's legal though in Guatemala. You may pick up some tips from the indeginous vendors there about cooking Iguanas and it may apply to dogs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by randyrandy View Post
    Too much bull**** (talk). Anybody want to respect the man's question and ATFQ? It's legit. Keep your personal feelings and emotions to yourself.
    In a SHTF situation, we'll all be in line to get some Fido. Yes, you will.

Recipe #1: skin, leave whole, soak in brine overnight, skew and roast over hickory fire
    Recipe #2: ?
    Everybody will choose to answer a question the way they want. While you didn't ask it, this applies to you as well --- if you don't like the answer, don't ask the question.

Another thing to consider about when TSH'sTF - attitude will either help you or hurt you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

randy, randy, randy, randy. With attitude like that I'm going to make a stab in the dark and suggest you might not last too long. Brand new on the forum and telling the members how to act? Interesting. You'll also note the little asterisks in your post? Those are there to keep the forum PG-13 because we do have young children on here.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I have not eaten dog but have eaten coyote in a stew. In my opinion they are the same thing-both canines. Obviously their diet will affect how they taste. I thought the coyote stew was good.

DSJ, you did answer the question, and quite well may I add.

Rick, you just scolded me publicly instead of a pm (similar to what you are accusing me of doing.) Lol.
    What does SHTF mean to kids?
    Go ahead, "stab." I do think you'll be surprised.
    Honestly, I thought the original post was serious. I was trying to help him out (recipies not nonsense.)

Everyone, please forgive me.

Having asked for forgiveness, I am bugging out of this Forum. Please remove me as a member.
    Crucify me all you want, I won't ever know.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by randyrandy View Post
    DSJ, you did answer the question, and quite well may I add.

Rick, you just scolded me publicly instead of a pm (similar to what you are accusing me of doing.) Lol.
    What does SHTF mean to kids?
    Go ahead, "stab." I do think you'll be surprised.
    Honestly, I thought the original post was serious. I was trying to help him out (recipies not nonsense.)

Everyone, please forgive me.

Having asked for forgiveness, I am bugging out of this Forum. Please remove me as a member.
    Crucify me all you want, I won't ever know.
    Thanks.
    We don't remove members here. I guess you won't read this following your tantrum, but it's just easier to go away (on any forum) if you find it is not a good fit for you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

He seemed a bit moody and left like a pouter but he had a point or two.

Ha! That's rich. Why do folks feel obligated to tell the world they are leaving? If you don't like it just leave. You don't need our permission.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I reckon persistence has no meaning for the lad.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

So, has the OP tried anything yet? I keep checking to see if there are any results. Perhaps, in the spring, I should take down a coyote and do a run on it although I really don't have a desire to do so. I'm just kinda curious.....

Do you think PETA and the like would mind if I placed pics?
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten