Thread: The Smithsonian

Default The Smithsonian

The Smithsonian displays are being digitized and put online.

http://3d.si.edu/browser

Cool link....Thanks.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Thanks for that link. I'll enjoy it.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Nice link thank you for posting.
    Put it in my favorites.
    Soon the whole world will be silky smooth

You know, that made me think. They've started using 3D printing that allows you to take a 2D representation and build up a 3D model of it or to copy 3D artifacts. Have they come up with a standard file format for 3D objects? Once 3D printing technology becomes accessible to regular people, you could download copies of artifacts from the Smithsonian (and other sources). That would be exciting - Mona Lisa anyone?
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Very cool! I've only been to the Smithsonian once and although I had a full day one could spend a month there and not see everything.

Aye, the whole mall is a museum. Unfortunately for me, the mass of humanity there is painfully distracting. Nevertheless, the mineral collection in the Natural History Museum probably has a long trail of my drool through it.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    You know, that made me think. They've started using 3D printing that allows you to take a 2D representation and build up a 3D model of it or to copy 3D artifacts. Have they come up with a standard file format for 3D objects? Once 3D printing technology becomes accessible to regular people, you could download copies of artifacts from the Smithsonian (and other sources). That would be exciting - Mona Lisa anyone?
    I've heard that some movie stars have had their faces digitally scanned.
    This way they can appear in movies long after they dead. Imagine cameo apperances by John Wayne in some movies where his face and voice are recreated.
    I know,not the same thing,but still pretty cool.

It's progress. Do you remember Woody Allen's "Play it Again, Sam" and Natalie Cole's great album with her dead father (Nat King Cole)?