Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats your favorite survival story and why?

Default Whats your favorite survival story and why?

This has to be a nonfictional story obviously...
    Last edited by brittanymachine; 11-26-2013 at 10:20 PM.
    Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?

Probably the Uruguay soccer team that went down in the Andes. They were faced with a "horrific" situation and some of them made it out. Then there's Hugh Glass the mountain man that crawled for miles after a bear attack. He was left for dead and made it out and if memory serves he forgave the two men that left him. I think one of them was a young Kit Carson. The why is the impossible odds they faced.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I love the story of Ernest Shackleton and the Endurance ship voyage. Also, Steve Callahan the survivor that was lost at sea for 76 days in the Pacific on a 6 man raft.
    Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

Scroll down and read them in order:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Sarge47/page6

SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

They are all quite inspiring.
    But my personal one begins: "This is no @$!&, I remember it like it was yesterday, .........". Oh wait, that's a jump story; nevermind.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    " ... Then there's Hugh Glass the mountain man that crawled for miles after a bear attack. He was left for dead and made it out and if memory serves he forgave the two men that left him. I think one of them was a young Kit Carson. The why is the impossible odds they faced.
    Hugh Glass was a trapper with the Ashley-Henry fur trapping company in 1823. Actually the two men who were left to bury the Grizzly-mauled Hugh Glass after he died were an older trapper, John Fitzgerald, and a young, inexperienced kid named Jim Bridger. The two men stayed with Glass for a few days, but Glass refused to die, so scared of the Rees, off the two went, taking all Glass' gear.

After they abandoned Glass, who for all appearances was knocking on Death's door, Glass miraculously managed to survive and finally make his way to Fort Kiowa. He intended to hunt down Fitzgerald and Bridger and kill them for not only leaving him but taking all of his equipment.

Later, Dec. 31, 1823, Glass found Bridger with the Andrew Henry brigade at Fort Henry on the upper Yellowstone. Glass took pity on the youth and did not kill him. Bridger had been talked into the abandonment by Fitzgerald , but Glass never forgave Fitzgerald. Later, Jim Bridger would become one of the greatest of the "mountain men."

Fitzgerald had left the Henry company and his whereabouts were unknown. In 1824, Glass finally encountered Fitzgerald at Fort Atkinson, but by that time, Fitzgerald was employed as a scout by the U.S. Army. Had Glass killed him, Glass would have been hanged. Glass went back to trapping.

In 1833, the famous luck of Hugh Glass ran out. He and his partner, Edward Rose, were killed by the 'Rees and scalped.

The 1823 survival trek of the horribly injured Hugh Glass is still an amazing journey and exhibition of unimaginable determiniation and "true grit."

And so it goes.

S.M.
    Last edited by Seniorman; 11-27-2013 at 02:33 PM.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.amazon.com/We-Die-Alone-E...ion/1599210630

Jan Baalsrud's story of escape from Nazi pursuers above the Artic Circle.

But I prefer to make my own.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Follow the River!

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post
    Hugh Glass was a trapper with the Ashley-Henry fur trapping company in 1823. Actually the two men who were left to bury the Grizzly-mauled Hugh Glass after he died were an older trapper, John Fitzgerald, and a young, inexperienced kid named Jim Bridger. The two men stayed with Glass for a few days, but Glass refused to die, so scared of the Rees, off the two went, taking all Glass' gear.

After they abandoned Glass, who for all appearances was knocking on Death's door, Glass miraculously managed to survive and finally make his way to Fort Kiowa. He intended to hunt down Fitzgerald and Bridger and kill them for not only leaving him but taking all of his equipment.

Later, Dec. 31, 1823, Glass found Bridger with the Andrew Henry brigade at Fort Henry on the upper Yellowstone. Glass took pity on the youth and did not kill him. Bridger had been talked into the abandonment by Fitzgerald , but Glass never forgave Fitzgerald. Later, Jim Bridger would become one of the greatest of the "mountain men."

Fitzgerald had left the Henry company and his whereabouts were unknown. In 1824, Glass finally encountered Fitzgerald at Fort Atkinson, but by that time, Fitzgerald was employed as a scout by the U.S. Army. Had Glass killed him, Glass would have been hanged. Glass went back to trapping.

In 1833, the famous luck of Hugh Glass ran out. He and his partner, Edward Rose, were killed by the 'Rees and scalped.

The 1823 survival trek of the horribly injured Hugh Glass is still an amazing journey and exhibition of unimaginable determiniation and "true grit."

And so it goes.

S.M.
    Thanks for filling in the gaps, sometimes memories will let a fella down.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Blog Entries

Cool The rest of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post

And so it goes.

S.M.
    This story was made into the movie: "Man in the Wilderness," starring Richard Harris. The character's nname was changed to Zachery Bass:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067388/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 ...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

My favorite is my own. I recently returned from three months in RMNP. I hiked out with water, jerky, dried berries, poles, a knife, salts, gun, snares, fishing line, and canvas. I found a pretty nook next to a stream at the base of Longs Peak. I set up my tipi there. I have to say the first bit is really the hardest. I set up some snares in deep pools in the stream, and shot a few squirrels. I had a good day, until I couldn't find any squirrels, and all the fish were gone. I survived on berries and mushrooms for a while until I found out how to dry meat. I hunted a deer, and hung all the meat and hide in a tree to dry. That lasted for a long time.

[QUOTE=Earth spirit;420327]My favorite is my own. I recently returned from three months in RMNP.
    In you intro you said you lived in a tipi for four months now your saying three months so which is it 3 or 4 months
    or is it somthing else? I think i smell a TROLL just sayin............................................. .................
    Soon the whole world will be silky smooth

I do have a survival story. Last Saturday till Monday my GF and me spent three
    nights at a motel with NO room service! It was ruff we had to call the pizza man
    all by our self we barely made it out alive........................................
    Soon the whole world will be silky smooth

[QUOTE=Canoetripper;420332]
    Quote Originally Posted by Earth spirit View Post
    My favorite is my own. I recently returned from three months in RMNP.
    In you intro you said you lived in a tipi for four months now your saying three months so which is it 3 or 4 months
    or is it somthing else? I think i smell a TROLL just sayin............................................. .................

Glad I'm not the only one whose antenae went up for many other reasons.
    I guess, time will tell...sit back, and watch the show.

I guess I'm just dense. I'm still working on "I set up some snares in deep pools in the stream..".

[QUOTE=BENESSE;420356]
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoetripper View Post

Glad I'm not the only one whose antenae went up for many other reasons.
    I guess, time will tell...sit back, and watch the show.
    Rodger that......
    Sheesh everyone.......lets see where this goes......

I left in mid august and came back late November. Why are you so jumpy? Ever heard of that? Yes, I did set snares in the water, and they worked quite well to catch fish. I'm not trolling. With all this stuff, maybe I'll just leave.

Blog Entries

Okay, I'll waive the flag!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

In your Introduction thread, you wrote:

The snow came in in mid-November. I decided to head back.
    and then you wrote:

I camped in the base of longs peak.
    And then I found this article we discussed in the Forums a while back.....

http://climbing.about.com/b/2013/09/...peak-storm.htm

"Two women climbers from Maine, Suzanne Turrell and Connie Yang, descended today from The Loft on the southeast side of 14,265-foot Longs Peak in Rocky Mountain National Park after being stranded for two days at 13,400 feet by an epic storm that lingered over Colorado all week."

"Heavy flooding in Rocky Mountain National Park and the town of Estes Park made any rescue by park service personnel very difficult since highways were closed and the weather was far too bad to attempt a helicopter rescue. Instead the pair, experienced mountaineers and backpackers who work for NEMO Equipment in Dover, New Hampshire, hunkered down and survived."
    Last edited by Ken; 12-04-2013 at 04:54 PM.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Blog Entries

I eagerly await your reply!
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Well, it was supposed to be a survival story.....Right?