View Poll Results: What apoc do you believe will happen?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Slow zombie

2 5.26%
  • Fast zombie

2 5.26%
  • Foreign invasion

2 5.26%
  • Nuclear world war

5 13.16%
  • Alien invasion

0 0%
  • Global warming

1 2.63%
  • Sun related apoc

1 2.63%
  • The late coming of the antichrist (sorry if you dont believe in god)

1 2.63%
  • International currency system fails

14 36.84%
  • Other

10 26.32%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Permanant bug out bag contents

Ah, youse guys. Give him some credit for thinking about it. Probably for the book.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

In the yellow house on the dead end road 20 miles from any city.

To clarify, this is a kit made up of more then one bag, the title was a typo, and it is meant to be carried by 2-3 adults. the food, is to be rationed to where you can stuff 1-2 years into 1-2 backpacks. Most of this food will be longer lasting foods such as jerky, and other dried meats. The nails are not for housing either. they are to be sat out for when you need to build walls around your growing and expanding village in post apocalyptic society. Also, this isn't for my school project, it is just a part of my book that I am writing.
    Currently the leader of an apocalypse team. add my Skype @ levi.meyers1 or private message me here!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    ........I 'd try the back yard first.....
    Still want to see a pic of that pack with 50 pounds being carried.....or even a vid.
    If you wish to see me loading up a backpack with 50 pounds, I will load one up and lug it from one side of my yard to the other. It is approximately 500 feet, and I can assure you I will not even be the slightest out of breath. Keep in mind also, that I am not in shape at all, so if an overweight person can do it, I'm sure almost anyone can.
    Currently the leader of an apocalypse team. add my Skype @ levi.meyers1 or private message me here!

Blog Entries

Cool Are you kidding me?

Quote Originally Posted by Brainsoverbrawn View Post
    If you wish to see me loading up a backpack with 50 pounds, I will load one up and lug it from one side of my yard to the other. It is approximately 500 feet, and I can assure you I will not even be the slightest out of breath. Keep in mind also, that I am not in shape at all, so if an overweight person can do it, I'm sure almost anyone can.
    That's not a fair test, if you're writing a book you have to 1st make sure that it's all "doable." Load that baby up and lug it 10 miles over rough terrain, then you'll know if there's any credibility in what you're writing about....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Levi,
    Do you get much negative feedback about your arrogant attitude? Have you spent any time reading any of the older threads on this forum at all? Your "bug out" list of equipment is really not realistic at all. I am curious why you feel the need to post questions and comments here if you are not really interested in learning from anyone here. If you are genuine in your expressed desire to write a good survival novel then please do not automatically assume your ideas and concepts are reasonable and valid. Particularly when you have zero experience in a "post apocalyptic" setting. If you just want to write a fantasy have at it. Just don't pretend it to be "realistic". Try reading John Carter. Good story and he did well in a very strange and changing "Post apocalyptic" (to him anyway) setting. You may try writing a story like that rather than pretend it has any basis in fact. Happy Thanksgiving and I hope you have a great weekend!
    Last edited by DSJohnson; 11-27-2013 at 09:16 AM.

Blog Entries

I suggest you watch this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-prRxB1ggg

Gives you some idea of what you really need to bug out forever.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

To clarify, this is a kit made up of more then one bag, the title was a typo, and it is meant to be carried by 2-3 adults. the food, is to be rationed to where you can stuff 1-2 years into 1-2 backpacks. Most of this food will be longer lasting foods such as jerky, and other dried meats. The nails are not for housing either. they are to be sat out for when you need to build walls around your growing and expanding village in post apocalyptic society. Also, this isn't for my school project, it is just a part of my book that I am writing.
    You gotta use your brain, brainsoverbrawn. Do the math before you get stuck on an idea that doesn't compute.
    For starters, let's just consider the bare minimum food contents of one bag for one year:

1. Single serve, 1oz beef jerky for 1 year (365 days)=23lbs
    2. Single serve, 2.5oz freeze dried Mountain House Eggs w/Ham for 1 year (365 days)=57lbs
    3. 3 gallons of water=24lbs (for one week)

You are over 100lbs already and you don't even have enough water, let alone anything else like tools, nails, generator, and all the other stuff you were going to take. This is not Mary Poppins' bug out bag, it doesn't work like that. On the other hand, it's your book, you can write it any way you want. So best of luck!

... plus, at 110 calories (1oz jerkey) and 360 calories (2.5oz MH eggs/ham) per day, the above-described 80lb pack would provide 470 calories per day (for 365 days), or 1/4-to-1/6th of what you would really need. It would be a nice start, but you'd better be a cracker jack forager/hunter/fisherman, too.
    "everything's temporary if you give it enough time" J Kilcher

www.HoofRehab.com

Quote Originally Posted by DSJohnson
    Try reading John Carter.

When I grow up I want to be John Carter! If I can't be John Carter then I'll settle for being a sex slave to Dejah Thoris....... It could happen. .........What? It could.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

OK.....Waiting......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Collect all empty Gaterade bottles with wide mouth and use them to keep things in. Water, oats, rice, beans, whatever. I keep all my food in these, waterproof, ant, mouse and moisture proof, and many times people have asked me for these when the pipes went dry, etc. They´re the right size for throwing into a backpack on a quick daytrip.

Falconer, your avatar reminds me of a trip I took ages ago flying to the Middle East on business.
    There was a Saudi guy in first class with a falcon in a seat next to him. (not in a cage, just sitting there) As we were landing, the bird fluttered it's wings as though it was landing on it's own and it was a magnificent sight.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJohnson View Post
    Levi,
    Do you get much negative feedback about your arrogant attitude? Have you spent any time reading any of the older threads on this forum at all? Your "bug out" list of equipment is really not realistic at all. I am curious why you feel the need to post questions and comments here if you are not really interested in learning from anyone here. If you are genuine in your expressed desire to write a good survival novel then please do not automatically assume your ideas and concepts are reasonable and valid. Particularly when you have zero experience in a "post apocalyptic" setting. If you just want to write a fantasy have at it. Just don't pretend it to be "realistic". Try reading John Carter. Good story and he did well in a very strange and changing "Post apocalyptic" (to him anyway) setting. You may try writing a story like that rather than pretend it has any basis in fact. Happy Thanksgiving and I hope you have a great weekend!
    As a matter of fact, no I have never gotton any comments about arrogance. I am sorry if you feel that I am arrogant. I have however, been called many other worse words, and I will most likely rethink this whole thread. Most likely a new title along with new content. Also, I had a fantastic thanksgiving, and best of all, my birthday is in two days!

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    You gotta use your brain, brainsoverbrawn. Do the math before you get stuck on an idea that doesn't compute.
    For starters, let's just consider the bare minimum food contents of one bag for one year:

1. Single serve, 1oz beef jerky for 1 year (365 days)=23lbs
    2. Single serve, 2.5oz freeze dried Mountain House Eggs w/Ham for 1 year (365 days)=57lbs
    3. 3 gallons of water=24lbs (for one week)

You are over 100lbs already and you don't even have enough water, let alone anything else like tools, nails, generator, and all the other stuff you were going to take. This is not Mary Poppins' bug out bag, it doesn't work like that. On the other hand, it's your book, you can write it any way you want. So best of luck!
    I want to thanks you for your criticism. I will most likely shorten the food amount to enough for 1 whole season(three months-four months) to 1 month only. Also @falconer , i already use that, along with old nut jars, and old 2 liters(mostly for liquids)

Here is a food calculator ....enter "1" on the top....and it will tell you how much you need for one year.....divide by number on months.
    Just an idea of how much you need.

http://www.shtfmovement.com/food-calculator.php

You might think about getting 3 wilderness wagons to haul in everything you are going to need, actually 3 pack mules would be even better!
    Last edited by Wildthang; 12-09-2013 at 12:16 PM.

I sincerely apologize to everyone for my extended absence. Been a bit caught up in schoolwork.

That's OK, kiddo, not a bad thing to be caught in.
    Hope all is going well for you.

Welcome back......
    How is the book coming?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Welcome back......
    How is the book coming?
    Book is going good, i also started a board based rpg where you can play different games with the same character. If we have any gamers, please msg me if you want to try it out! Also changed the book a bit. Its going to be about apocalypse survival now. So if you have any suggestions for apoc types, comment them please!