View Poll Results: What apoc do you believe will happen?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Slow zombie

2 5.26%
  • Fast zombie

2 5.26%
  • Foreign invasion

2 5.26%
  • Nuclear world war

5 13.16%
  • Alien invasion

0 0%
  • Global warming

1 2.63%
  • Sun related apoc

1 2.63%
  • The late coming of the antichrist (sorry if you dont believe in god)

1 2.63%
  • International currency system fails

14 36.84%
  • Other

10 26.32%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Permanant bug out bag contents

Rick, this is what you need http://youtu.be/wE1pa2s6fiM the latest in GEBAW survival essentials
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

That's what Jonah said.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

2 X 4.........Gotta have a 2 X 4........jamb in door (jaws) so it don't slam shut.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout. Maybe a scuba suit. Then you could become whale **** in the ocean. Just pass right on through. Yea, that might work. How big is a whale anus anyway. I don't want to get stuck half way out.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Florida, flattest place I'd want to get away from.

So far my bugout bag is a 26 Liter daypack. I'd picked up 2 bandage kits and some medical wrap(dollar store variant, not the highest quality). Food-wise I'm considering the foil packs of tuna, they seem to have a fair storage life which would be useful until a solid means of feeding myself is found. I assume I could do with a decent knife for various purposes, maybe 2 extra sets of clothing. Given the timing it doesn't seem like a crazy idea I don't know what to expect of foreign events lately with russia being as antsy as they are right now. Better safe than sorry right? and in the case nothing happens I have a bag with supplies for hiking anyways.

Might want check out the kits bag and lists posted in several areas.
    60 pages of ideas
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ival-kits-info

Why 2 sets of clothes?

Waterproof playing cards
    Last edited by sjj; 07-03-2015 at 04:58 AM.

In the yellow house on the dead end road 20 miles from any city.

No offense to everyone, but this is kinda getting off topic. I do however, appreciate you keeping my post active-ish.
    Currently the leader of an apocalypse team. add my Skype @ levi.meyers1 or private message me here!

Quote Originally Posted by Brainsoverbrawn View Post
    APP for team:

Name:
    Amount you can carry comfortably for 2-3 miles:
    Any medications? Will I need to purchase any specifically for you?
    Any disabilities?(NOTE: This will only be taken into account if you have physical handicaps. this wont count you out, but may make you less likely to be one of us)
    Willing to travel?
    Willing to share knowledge?
    Preferred job once a town is started?
    Are you willing to "repopulate?"

I will add new content to both this and my blog soon!

Apps are now available/open! please comment them, add my Skype and message me them, or private message me them on these forums!

Serious applicants only please.

Current member list:
    Me(Levi Meyers)
    Tyler buckwalter, a friend from school.
    Nathan buckwalter, another friend from school.
    Chase nierman, a good friend, who is an even better shooter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainsoverbrawn View Post
    No offense to everyone, but this is kinda getting off topic. I do however, appreciate you keeping my post active-ish.
    Looks to me like you really got off topic of you huge list and turned it into spam for your Junior High Zombie Hunters Team.

So you won't have to worry about getting off topic any longer....from me.
    Good luck.

In the yellow house on the dead end road 20 miles from any city.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Looks to me like you really got off topic of you huge list and turned it into spam for your Junior High Zombie Hunters Team.

So you won't have to worry about getting off topic any longer....from me.
    Good luck.
    I am sorry you feel that way. Ive attempted to change the topic title, but it doesnt work apparently. If there was a better place to post something of this manner, id go there.
    Currently the leader of an apocalypse team. add my Skype @ levi.meyers1 or private message me here!

By changing your Original post completely, has made the whole 4 pages out of context......
    Called "starting a new thread"?

Florida, flattest place I'd want to get away from.

Sorry, my reaction is more from stress than anything. Honestly never had a day of work like last week where I felt like I was gonna have a break down.
    As far as my post though, I'm more of a "pack light" mentality, I try to do alot with a little which is what comes from lack of experience..

what makes you think that it would only be needed for 3-4 miles, hmm? If that's all the further you have to go, why not make several trips, or walk alongside of a bicycle with 100+ lbs of stuff on the bike, or cache the stuff (ahead of time of need) where you "know" you will be going,

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    As a long time hiker/bacpacker 75lbs is quite a load. The human body is capable of much more(our military troops carry a lot more at times). But the tools you named would go close to that themselves. Food for 1-2 years would require something more than a backpack to fit in even if its all freeze dried or dehydrated.

You have great ideas on needs but probably should do more scenario planning and assess the bulk of what you propose as well as weight.
    I know of several occasions where I have carried over 75lbs. It's not fun, and I am considerably less effective after. Even carrying 35lbs for 12 miles is a lot for some people. You do have good ideas and I would suggest reading more on this website and others to continue to learn.

Red
    Using Tapatalk

There are a lot of holes in your plan. 1 if you plan on carrying 50-75 lbs you can't do that in "an old school backpack" unless it's a big bombproof framed pack so if you want to carry that much weight invest in a good pack first before the shoulder straps rip off your school pack. Second carrying that much weight you won't get anywhere fast I don't deny that you can but I can tell you this I can get 30+ mile days in if I have to or want to backpacking but that's with my ultralight gear. You on the other hand with a 50 pound pack that's not framed and probably doesn't have a hipbelt will be huffing and puffing before the first mile marker and you best hope you don't have any steep hills nearby.

From what I've seen I'll be entirely honest I'm not a preppers type like you but if I was you couldn't pay me to join your team I could survive longer than you with just a good knife a 32oz nalgene and my snow peak cooker. The best thing you could do if you really want to write a book is go take a trip into the woods with what you plan on bringing in your bob and see how much of it you don't need. My guess would be at least 30 lbs of stuff after you try hiking with a pack that size.

I always try to keep my pack under 30 pounds, and 20 pounds is even better if you are trying to cover a lot of ground. When you are hiking long distance, you will figure out real fast how to do without a lot of stuff!

It's an important point. Weight matters. You need to know that you can actually carry what you put in your bag, and still cover the ground you have to.
    What you could carry a few years ago, doesn't matter. It's what you can carry the day you have to that matters.

When I was in the selection course for the Huntsman Corps., our final test was a 80 kilometer (50 miles) march in terrain, that had to be completed in less than 12 hours, carrying 40 kilos (88 pounds) of gear. While in the Corps were expected to be able to do that at any given moment, and I could.
    Today, there's no chance I could do it without training for it for a couple of months.

Be sure you actually test your own capacity for hauling your gear on foot, and make some pretty serious decisions about what you need and what you don't need to survive for what is most likely just a couple of days.

Sounds like very sound advice. +1
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Dane View Post
    It's an important point. Weight matters. You need to know that you can actually carry what you put in your bag, and still cover the ground you have to.
    What you could carry a few years ago, doesn't matter. It's what you can carry the day you have to that matters.

When I was in the selection course for the Huntsman Corps., our final test was a 80 kilometer (50 miles) march in terrain, that had to be completed in less than 12 hours, carrying 40 kilos (88 pounds) of gear. While in the Corps were expected to be able to do that at any given moment, and I could.
    Today, there's no chance I could do it without training for it for a couple of months.

Be sure you actually test your own capacity for hauling your gear on foot, and make some pretty serious decisions about what you need and what you don't need to survive for what is most likely just a couple of days.
    I agree. My regular hiking equipment for a two week expedition is usually less then 30 pounds excluding my firearms and ammo.

Sorry guys, but I hope to get good feedback on my understanding of a Bug Out Bag. You see, I am from Malaysia (in South East Asia- nope I am not a communist or from a fanatical Muslim group) and maybe I might have a hard time expressing myself or understand what you really meant.
    To my understanding...a Bug Out Bag or GMH (get me home bag) is an extended version of a survival pack. It should contain:-
    1. Shelter making items such as a light tarp. a light hammock.
    2. Water and water carrying utensils.
    3. Making fire items and cooking water (at least) utensils.
    4. Knives/machete.
    5. Signalling mirror.
    6. Ropes or strings (550lbs tested paracords would be good)
    7. Some food.
    8.Head covers (hats/caps) and eye protection (glasses).
    9. First aid/Medication
    10. Maybe a phone and some money.
    11. protective clothings against the cold.
    12. Light and simple stoves.???

Is my understanding on the subject correct?