Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guns as an investment

Default Guns as an investment

Let's face it, most of us cannot buy as many guns as we really want, and a lot of people including the government probably think we are either radical survivalists, or at least gun freaks that just can't get enough firepower. Some may even see it as an addiction, and most just do not understand.
    Actually it is my opinion that guns are a good investment, not a great investment but they do hold their value and some show appreciation depending on whats going on in the news. Look at what happened to semi auto assult rifles after Sandy Hook, they almost doubled in value. And look what happened in general when Obama decided to go after gun control. If a person could have seen that coming, a lot of money could have been made on that whole scenario.
    Well then theres SHTF. When and if an nation wide SHTF event ever strikes, there is just no telling how much gun prices will rise, in fact, in that case, some will simply pay as much as it takes to get the guns they want and need. I honestly think investing just for SHTF is not a good investment because you would be basing it on an event that may never happen, and if it does you dont have a clue when it well come.
    But generally speaking, I think guns will hold their value and if you buy them at a reasonable price, you at least will never lose money on them. Sometimes I think they will hold their value far better than the American dollar!
    There is also the investment aspect that owning guns could save you and your familys life, and no price can be placed on that.
    So, do you view your guns as an investment, or do you just look at them as a collectible that you can't get enough of?

I think they're a good investment only if you own a $hitload. Otherwise, why get rid of any? Even if it's for profit, they could be used against you during SHTF times. IMHO.

You are making the assumption that you will be selling them to make the money at some point......That rarely happens in real life.

Some one is gonna make out some how, when you croak.......but it won't be you.....LOL

Old guy told me once......
    Always invest in firearms and airplanes....you will never loose ,money......Never automobiles and women.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Although ------ If you are looking at them as bartering material ...... . I have heard some folks have ammo in calibers they don't use, strictly for barter.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Yeah, I know....just seems to show up sometimes....Ya never know.
    Generally when that happens....I just order another barrel for the H&R Handi Rifle.....LOL

So when the ammo shortage happens (ed).....it's ..."What have ya go that goes Boom?.......Yeah, I think I have a barrel for that."

I can't say that I'd be too willing to barter anything that can be used against me.

Some guy: "looking for a .357 and ammo."
    Me: "No problem. I have a couple. What do you have to trade?"
    Some guy: "How about 50 cans of sardines?"
    Me: "Sure."
    Exchange made
    Some guy pointing gun at me: "Now you can hand me the other .357 and those sardines.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You could run into a situation like here in MA where a number of guns are not sold due to regulations (notice I didn't say LAW.)
    Any type of modern Colt pistol is almost impossible to get. Colt will not sell here due to the regulations. So the only ones available are those registered in-state pre-ban. And they are expensive as all hell. Where you might pay $800, here they would try to tack on another $2000 to that. Some sucker will probably buy it. If you had em in your safe, you could make a great profit.

I've never seen guns as a monetary investment because of where I live and coming to the game late. The ones I have are meant to be used. Not be safe queens.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I'm with Rick (post #2).

Speaking of investments, another way to make money is by not spending it in the first place. Or... “The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket. Can't go wrong with that advice.

Quote Originally Posted by B
    The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.
    Very sage advice.

I have no safe queens either. Like Hunter said, someone will prosper when I'm gone. I have them to use and then pass on. Don't have any closet queens either by the way.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well it's a simple fact that guns are not good investments unless you look at them as that. Yeah most people buy them, never sell them, and some lucky relative inherits them and quickly sells the ones they don't want, so yeah, that's not an investment for sure.
    I personally buy good guns at a good price, and every year or so I sell the ones I don't want at a profit. I don't make a ton of money on them, but I do make a strong 15%, which is more than you would earn on most investments.
    It is all in how you look at it and manage it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I can't say that I'd be too willing to barter anything that can be used against me.

Exchange made
    Some guy pointing gun at me: "Now you can hand me the other .357 and those sardines.
    That reminds me of a man named Kurt Saxon, author of several "survivalist" books back in the late 1970s and early '80s. I saw him interviewed once on teevee. It was at a "self preparedness" expo in Pasadena, Calif. Saxon was sitting at table upon which was a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum.

The interviewer had been discussing with Saxon the idea that some "preparedness" people said that it was better to invest in gold and silver, rather than firearms. Those people said they could always use their gold to buy guns and ammo, should the SHTF.

Saxon looked at him and said, "Okay, the SHTF. You come to me with a sack of gold and say that you want to buy my .44 Magnum and ammo."

The interviewer said, "That's right."

Saxon put on a slight smile, tapped the Super Blackhawk and said, " Guess who's going to end up with the gold and the gun."

The interviewer seemed to get the point.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang
    It is all in how you look at it and manage it!

That, too, is sage advice.

....only problem is when you hold out a dollar bill, and say, Bang, bang, bang.......some one is just gonna take it....
    Now on the other hand.....well you get the picture.

Hunter, you know a dollar doesn't buy what it used to. Hold out a ten spot and shout... Tank!, Tank!, Tank!

Exchange made
    Rick, there are ways to sell guns to people you don't trust, the black market, gangs, mafia, and illegal arms dealers have been doing it for years. You just don't want to do it where you live, and you have a lot of backup at the trading location!

Oh, yeah, sure. There's that way. Heck, we did that in Columbia all the time back when times were tough. I thought he meant like here. Why, when I was young I was so mean I once had a black market, mafia, illegal arms gang member hold a gun on me during a trade just so I wouldn't shoot myself for being crooked.

Oh, yeah, sure. There's that way. Heck, we did that in Columbia all the time back when times were tough. I thought he meant like here. Why, when I was young I was so mean I once had a black market, mafia, illegal arms gang member hold a gun on me during a trade just so I wouldn't shoot myself for being crooked.
    Remind me to never team up with you for SHTF gun bartering

Yep - you could move guns faster than you can say furious.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah, what he said. No problemo, Wildthang. Just load em in the canoe and I'll take them into Canada for you.

Exchange made
    Seems not that challenging to do it as a two-part trade. Give them the gun, take the sardines, then tell them where the ammo is buried, somewhere relatively far from you. People did trade ammo and weapons in the Balkans Wars, it's clearly doable.
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous