Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huge learning experience

Default Huge learning experience

Took the day off of work to fish today. Decided to head out to the Destin Pass. Paddled out to the West Jetty. Current was a bit strong pushing me further out towards the Gulf so I made the worst mistake ever. I threw out my anchor. It immediately caught in the rocks and I capsized. Lost my rods, most of my equipment, my Iphone was in my pocket (ruined), camera floated away too. Luckily my pelican case with wallet and keys floated near me so I could save it. I couldn't get the anchor line loose to unhook it so I couldn't flip the kayak back over. Eventually I was able to get my knife and cut it loose. Once I flipped the kayak back over I attempted to get back on, only to find out I was tangled in my sunken fishing rods and hooked in the leg. I cut the line and realized I was very close to the rocks. So I swam over and to make it easier to get back on my yak. In the process I managed to slice both hands and feet. Once I was back on board I then had to paddle 400 yards against the current to get back to Jeep. Ended up in the ER and lost hundreds of dollars worth of equipment, my feet and hands are shreded but it could have been worse. So what did I learn? Never drop anchor in current. Strap everything to the yak. Don't get near those rocks, they're sharp. The most important thing I realized was my thought process for this trip was the same I have for fishing the lake. The Bay is totally different than the lake. Much safer fishing in the lake. I learned my lesson today. Bay 1 Doug 0
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

Glad you're ok. How did the yak capsize? Only way I can see that is if you had the anchor on the sides.

Yeah clip it beside me because I can't reach the front or back.

Glad you made it out! and a good reminder for those of us 10 ft. tall and bulletproof types.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Can you not put a loop on your now and run it through then clip it to the side?

I probably could just never needed to. Might need to know.

So...other than that how'd the day go?

Actually, I'm glad you came out alive. Getting tangled in current can be the end of you. Hopefully, you can go back out there and recover some of your gear.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well never got to fish. But I did spend the rest of the day with my family. Great day!
    Pretty sure my gear is in the Gulf now.

Maybe a sea anchor would work better in that situation?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You might be surprised about the gear. I snagged 6 rod and reels with a treble hook once in strong current. They were still there the following day.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Swim down and get them.

Around here they recommend placing a float a bit out on your line to help prevent problems, or allow you time to cut the line if needed.
    Glad you are OK.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Dang! Sorry about your lost gear and shredded skin. That's going to really hurt tomorrow.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I did something similar to this on my canoe:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wptmmir5sQ
    I needed to drop an anchor or weight from each end of my canoe while fishing to minimize wind spinning. I put the cleat next to where I sit and made and attached a Dyneema loop with a carabiner on the end farthest from me so I could raise and lower the anchor without having to move from my sitting position. I just pull the rope and tie it off on the cleat to adjust or raise and secure the anchor when I'm ready to move to another spot.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Sorry to hear about your gear. Glad you could tell the story.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Quote Originally Posted by gryffynklm View Post
    Sorry to hear about your gear. Glad you could tell the story.
    Plus one on that......gear can be replaced....Wearing a PFD, right?

Put this one down in the "Well, I never do THAT again".....sometimes experience is expensive.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    .....sometimes experience is expensive.
    And that, ladies and gentlemen is why "experienced guides" cost as much as they do.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

....and when some says 'don't do this because.....here is why, and these are the pic's.....they paid the price, or at least the easy price....
    The ones you don't hear "from", .....just "about" paid the ultimate price.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Glad you made it out of there Doug. The ocean is a large and unforgiving element. I have nothing but respect for it when I go out there.

I sunk a rubber raft once in current. Tried to launch from a box chute on the side of a small dam. Threw the raft in the channel. It just fit. Threw in my gear and jumped in. The raft acted like a cork. It jammed against the sides of the box chute and the water had nowhere to go but into the raft. Washed my gear a ways down the river but since I was soaked anyway, I just went in and got it back. It was one of those America's Funniest Videos moments. Glad no one else was there!
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

There was a similar thread on Michigan Sportsman blog a few weeks ago. A gust of high wind flipped the guys kayak and he got tangled in his fishing lines and anchor rope. Almost drowned before he managed to dig a knife out of his pocket and cut himself free. Another poster suggested a dive type knife, attached to the life vest. I promptly ordered two knives ( one for me & one for the SIL ) and securely attached the knife to my life vest.