Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Huge learning experience

After the first post, I was ready to post....get a bigger boat......But thinking about it, I recalled the Titanic.....so it was one of those "Never mind", moments.

Knife on PFD, now that has merit.....Thanks for the idea.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Think lesson would be " don't go in the big ocean in a little boat ". Glad ur ok!

Well I can see how an anchor for a kyak could not be a good thing, then that makes me wonder how everybody on this forum has sank perfectly good canoes full of guns in a calm lake!
    Inquiring minds want to know

I was frightfully concerned about losing everything so I piled all the guns in the back of the canoe with me. Turns out, that's not a good thing to do. I didn't want to make the same mistake with the ammo so that time I stacked everything up front with me. Turns out that didn't work either.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I was frightfully concerned about losing everything so I piled all the guns in the back of the canoe with me. Turns out, that's not a good thing to do. I didn't want to make the same mistake with the ammo so that time I stacked everything up front with me. Turns out that didn't work either.
    The whole problem was that you obviously needed a much longer canoe

Well I'm healing up, slowly, but getting there. Had to work Monday and Tuesday, hurt to walk let alone do lawn maintenance for 9 hours each day. Still hurts like hell. I've begun to improve my rigging for all my gear on my kayak for next time. Everything will be strapped down and all important electronics will be in waterproof cases. Other important items, ie. wedding ring will stay on land next time. Having several days to reflect I have been able to find the things that went right.
    First thing was I was able to flip the kayak back over while in the water and was able to get back on it, had I not been hooked in my fishing lines.
    Second I had a knife easily accessible to cut the anchor line and my fishing line.
    Third I didn't panic, too much, and was able to save what was important and get back home.
    Next time I go out I'll be better prepared and hopefully not make poor decisions again. So many ways it could have been avoided, but my inexperience caused it to happen.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

Well said....it's called experience.
    Try to only do the dumb stuff once.......the smart stuff all the time.
    Glad to hear you are on the mend.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Glad you're healing up Doug. We all learn from our experiences. Some lessons are more painful than others.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel