Thread: Things that strike me funny........

Default Things that strike me funny........

DW won a gift certificate at a flea market we go to when we are at "The Place" our cabin in SW Wisconsin....had till the end of November to pick it up.

So we stopped in today, and there was an Amish couple shopping........????
    What?...are they looking for "New" appliances in the antique section?

Found a flip up stool/ironing board combo, (will post pic's in anyone is interested)...the guy says, "Yeah my brother makes "New ones" like that.

They were looking a piece of furniture....made by "The English"....what they call us......

Just struck me as kinda funny....
    ...and Yup, the buggy was parked out side.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I see them traveling on an airplane. I guess the horse was too slow.

That is funny. My brother worked with them for several years. There is a little more to the amish than most people realize. I'll leave it at that.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

There are a lot around......Built my cabin.
    But it does strike me funny on how the rules of what is allowed and what is not..... vary.

A lot of Amish aren't really Amish. There are several religious sects that dress similar but have a much different belief structure. Mennonites are one example.

We had a large group of Mennonites bought a bunch of farm land near home. They frequented a small country diner that many of us went to on coffee break. One of the guys I worked with proclaimed that only one man in the whole Mennonite group was allowed to carry the money. How would you know that we asked. Because when they come in for coffee only one guy pays. Somewhere there was a Mennonite proclaiming to his family that only one guy in the phone company carried all the money because when they come in for coffee only one guy pays. He lived hard for that observation for a while.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    I see them traveling on an airplane. I guess the horse was too slow.
    They will ride in a motor vehicle, train or airplane but they wont operate them themselves.
    Imagine opening the cockpit door and seeing a couple Amish fellas flying the plane. I will have suppress a laughing spell every time I see them now.
    Do they still shock the corn stalks out in the mid-west?
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
    They will ride in a motor vehicle, train or airplane but they wont operate them themselves.
    Imagine opening the cockpit door and seeing a couple Amish fellas flying the plane. I will have suppress a laughing spell every time I see them now.
    Do they still shock the corn stalks out in the mid-west?
    Yes they still stock up the corn...saw some today.....corn cutting is going on all over around here.

On my way to town......saw 4 guys going down the highway, in a buggy, all dressed in Blaze orange (it's deer season), with a dead deer in the back....pulling into the registration station.....
    Struck me as kinda funny.....like 4 guys in their version of a pick up truck......

Clarification for Rick......
    The buggy was being pulled by 2 horses.......
    Last edited by hunter63; 11-27-2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: calification

I'm glad you cleared that up. I had this vision of two guys riding and two guys pulling.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Just about everything Rick types strikes me
    well it just strikes.....................
    Soon the whole world will be silky smooth

The term "Amish" is a lot like saying "liberal" or "conservative", the definition varies wildly...ya know? We have an "Amish" farrier near my town that doesn't own a phone (par for the course) but will absolutely wear yours out while you are there at his business.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfishfiddler View Post
    The term "Amish" is a lot like saying "liberal" or "conservative", the definition varies wildly...ya know? We have an "Amish" farrier near my town that doesn't own a phone (par for the course) but will absolutely wear yours out while you are there at his business.
    Not to me. Amish is Amish where I live; it don't matter about how liberal( owns a cel phone) or conservative( don't use a phone at all).
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    DW won a gift certificate at a flea market we go to when we are at "The Place" our cabin in SW Wisconsin....had till the end of November to pick it up.
    Every time you mention "DW"... i think of these guys...

darkwing_duck_and_launchpad_mcquack_by_kneont-d6no12j.jpg