Thread: Atlatl and recurve longbow

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Atlatl and recurve longbow

Threw my first atlatl, Sunday. I was amazed at the accuracy and speed of this very simple "stabbie chucker". My knapping mentor has met a fellow who makes and sells them, and I'm not sure if he traded for his or what, but I will be making one in the near future. As I understand it, it is a legit hunting weapon in our state (double checking that!) during primitive weapons season. His darts were of rivercane with hardwood practice tips, and one that was tipped with "flint".
    I harvested a nice Hickory tree this past weekend, and will likely use part of it for the handle, and I'm going to use the old-style with finger loops. I'm going to attempt to make it with only primitive methods for cutting and sanding, and probably use animal fat for the finish.
    Now the question: Craig said that red cedar had the best qualities for the handle with the right amount of flex/rigidity. since I have about 30 feet of Hickory, does anyone know of any reason that wouldn't work? If it's flexible enough for a bow...?
    About 15 feet of the Hickory is almost perfectly straight and fairly knot-free. I harvested it with the intention of making a longbow. It will be a long project, I'm sure, and I think I have enough wood to make two pairs of matched bows. Since this is my first attempt, I need two things: A good book that isn't going to cost a fortune on the subject, and time. Suggestions on the former would be most helpful.
    The tree has been down for 4 days and hopefully I'll get to debark it in the next day or two. I'm re-reading the McPherson's book chapter on making bows, so I have a basic, albeit very primitive, outline for this project. I'm certain that it doesn't contain the detailed info that more experienced bowyers know.
    I'll try to do a video series on it, complete with beginner mistakes and all, but not sure I'll always be able to get the camcorder.
    Anywho, suggestions welcome!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

I have never made one so all I can offer is some ideas on wood. I think the hickory would be excellent for the Atl. It's a hard dense wood that will lend weight to the dart. However, for the dart I would think you would want something much lighter like river cane or bamboo. I think you have access to both down there. It would seem to me that the heavier Hickory Atl would be able to put some speed on a lighter weight dart like cane. A five or six foot dart of Hickory would be a bit heavy. Just my thoughts.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

That's interesting....I be watching for further updates.
    As a side comment......I just saw that stone tipped arrows are legal in Wisconsin ........don't know about a spear or atlatl dart.....Just thought it was interesting.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

If you like the atlatl, look into the swiss dart. Same mechanics as the atlatl, but much easier to carry, store, and make.

Also, hickory (if I recall correctly) is a good wood to make a bow with, as its more forgiving than most woods.

For books look into "The Traditional Bowyers Bible" 1-4. Google "Jim Hamm" he is out of Tx and is a great guy. He will set you up with the books or recommend the one book that meets your needs. He may even help you over the phone depending on how busy he is.

I have tried making bows and atlatl handles out of osage with some luck. My bow making skill leave a LOT to be desired but the atlatl handle is springy, strong and fast.

When I was younger I used to make simple atlatls to play with. One time, we stopped at a little lake to camp. We threw a tarp over some bent over and tied together saplings. I got up in the morning and made an atlyle as I did at times. As we were playing with it, we we surprised that a fellow stopped by to look at the lake, asked us about fishing and asked what that thing was we were playing with. I told him what it was and threw it high and far and it struck a big oak and make a loud crack. His eyes opened wide at the power it had and he stated that that thing was a powerful weapon. We just laughed and talked a while.

I used green ash saplings for both the throwing sticks and spears. I whitled the stick flat so it had flex. I whitled the spear thin with the heavier part as the tip, then just tied some ferns on for the fletch. The biggest problem was that the spline was always too weak for the force of the throw and it would flex back and forth in flight several times before it would fly straight. Of course it was green. I think that finding dry stiffer material for the spear would have improved it a great deal. You might have a similar problem if you are wanted to throw a light spear a far distance as we enjoyed doing.

Blog Entries

All these years, I've been passing river cane on the lake, and thought it was something else.. DOH!!
    So I collected a few shafts of different diameters and lengths yesterday when the wife and I went out on the boat. They were still green, so there is some cure time involved.
    Also, I had to trim a very large Red Cedar over a house I am working on, so I got my hands on some of that wood for various projects, too.
    The hickory should be cured enough to start carving in another 2-4 weeks. Every time I see them in the shop, I want to get my knives out!!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll be sure to post pics of the process whenever I can FINALLY start! (It's driving me crazy for them to just sit there!!!)

Blog Entries

I can't seem to find the bowyers bible at any of the secondhand stores around here. I'll have to save up to get it. Our library apparently did not have the book returned from the last person who checked it out... I can't imagine why lol

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I have owned an atlatal and find that your observations are right on with my experiences. As to the throwing handle, mine was about 18 inches long and had been carved from a limb ,with a small branch coming off that became the projection that engaged the back end of the dart. I think a weight forward dart would probably fly pretty well. I know that it is legal in Michigan to hunt with an atlatal.

Blog Entries

I recently found out that it's legal here, too!