Thread: Winter edibles

Default Winter edibles

Was wondering what some edible winter plants are that are good to learn to identify?

We can give you a list but identifying them may be something quite different. Since you are just starting out it's a good idea to know plants in all four seasons so you can easily identify them. There are tons of books on the subject for both edible and medicinal plants. I use Edible Wild Plants of Eastern/Central North America. It's a Peterson Field Guide and you can pick it up at any book store for $20 or so. Rose Hips for jellies, wines, syrup, tea and more as well as Pine Needles for tea are two that are fairly easy to identify. Nuts, of course, if there is no snow on the ground.

Again, if you are near Lafayette check indianabow.com. They offer a class called Wild Edibles and Wildflowers.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mustards are a great place to start. Brassicaceae Family. There are many others, but that's a good place to start learning.

That's a good one, ycc.
    Also, try this book: The Forager's Harvest, by Samuel Thayer, ISBN 978-0-9766266-0-2
    And Outdoor Survival Skills, by Larry Dean Olsen, ISBN 978-1-55652-323-6

Both have a wide scope of plant foraging information and photos.

Mustard is out around here, Central Texas, as is sow thistle and hackberry. American Beauty Berry is fading away, along with goldenrod. Jerusalem Artichoke and Maximillian Sunflowers are now past the first freeze, so their tubers are ready to harvest. Unless you're already in survival mode, then take the winter and begin to learn what will be popping up next spring. Plant walk classes are a very good way to start.

Learn to absolutely identify nightshades and hemlock. Those are often fatally toxic. Very unforgiving if you mistakenly harvest them. Not all wild plants are friendly.
    Saepe veritas est dura.
    (Often the truth is harsh.)

I still do not have photo posting privileges yet naturegirl. Gimme some time. I like winter too.

Altitude.

"Post #10!" Can I post photos? Can I? Huh? Can I?? Please?

Altitude.

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

the old standby " Petersons " has some info on seasonal wild edibles depending on your location
    your best bet is to get out in the bush, grab some plants that look interesting and bring them home

GOOGLE IMAGES can be a good friend when researching wild edibles

Knowledge without experience is just information

the wild edibles arn't coming to your door, go for a walk in the woods
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

Planning on going for a foraging trip this weekend myself. I am located in Minnesota and since it's been an exceptionally cold year I am not optimistic that I will find anything but I have to get the heck out of the house before I go loony toons.
    I am planning on looking for birch branches that have broken off in past storms - I guess you can use the inner bark as a flour extender or non-rising flour substitute so I am going to give that a shot. Can also brew the twigs into a tea. Will also be looking for chaga mushroom - I am in SE Minnesota so it's probably a stretch that I would find any, but it doesn't hurt to look

Can anyone tell me what wild plant I can make tea out of here in Missouri and other plants during the winter

Pine needles for one.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Bee Balm, Mint, rose hips and most berry (blackberry, raspberry, etc) leaves. The key of course is being able to identify the plants in the winter.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The following website has some foraging teachers listed for different states and countries. Scroll down to your state.
    http://www.eattheweeds.com/foraging/...g-instructors/

You can also check:
    A local chapter of the Native Plant Society.
    State/National Park office.
    University extension office.
    4-H club.
    Forest Service.
    Local nursery (not the ones at a department store).

There are many other places you might be able to find classes or personal instruction. You just have to use your imagination.

High bush cranberries make a good winter snack. The taste is improved after freezing. The pats may beat you to them though.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Won't find those in Indiana. Well, maybe Kroger's or Piggly Wiggly.

My buddy from around fort wayne tells me he finds a few. Are you talking cranberries or pats?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

cranberries. I didn't think there were any in Indiana. They don't come that far south. If he finds them good for him but I've never seen them.