Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storing Food Long Term

Quote Originally Posted by ms1984 View Post
    Hi again, thanks so much for the information. I'm pretty excited to get everything ready although maybe I should have started earlier. Never too late though I suppose! :-) I decided I want to go with Mylar rather than other foil bags as, for the price extra, I think it's worth it. I ended up going with these bags: www . mylarshop.com/mylar-bags/heavy-duty-mylar-bag-25cm-x-35cm as I'm in the UK so the Sorbent Systems shipping is too much. They should arrive any day so I'll put up a review if / when they arrive! I haven't got a heat sealing thing but apparently an iron will do. If anyone knows of any shops in the UK other than the one I picked I'd be grateful. Anyway I'll be back with a review and maybe a video on how to store grain if I can find a video camera. Thanks everyone and thanks for your time. Mike
    I worry that they don't tell you what the bag is made of. Mylar (or PET, or polyester) is the outer coating of a three layer film. The middle layer is aluminum (or some other metal). The inside layer is generally either LDPE or Polypropylene. The metal layer is a gas barrier, and comes in varying thicknesses, the thicker, the better barrier, but the less pliable. The mylar is also a gas barrier, and it protects the metal layer. LDPE melts at a lower temp, so you don't need such a robust heat sealer to seal them. Polypro has a higher melting temp, so it needs better equipment. Also, because it needs a higher temp, you can put it in boiling water to sterilize the food inside. This is why MRE's use Polypro bags.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

What I want to know is who has the job of gluing those three bags together? That would be a crappy job. I'd just as soon be sacked. (I swear I slay myself).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    What I want to know is who has the job of gluing those three bags together? That would be a crappy job. I'd just as soon be sacked. (I swear I slay myself).
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U9c_KttvQPU

All I heard was crickets. I don't understand.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

They were all laughing at your joke It was so hi-larious. Duh.

Oooooh! My mother thanks you. My father thanks you. My sister thanks you. And I thank you.

Just want to add one thing, get the Gamma Seal lids. They cost more but since they have an O-ring seal, they are cheap insurance. If the mylar bags were to ever fail, the Gamma Seal lid may prevent spoilage because it gives you a secondary seal.

I have Gamma Seal Lids on most of my 5 gallon buckets. All of the lids that I replaced had/have a rubber gasket, but the Gamma lids are much easier to get into.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

fill the dry beans, rice, grain ETC in clean dry 2 litre pop bottles and stack them like cord wood