Thread: Cherries in November?

Default Cherries in November?

I've just begun taking up foraging in the past year, and have successfully tried a small amount of wild edibles so far, including black cherries.

I live in Southeastern PA, and the black cherries I've collected ripen in late summer. However, I was just out today gathering some crabapples, and noticed racemes of fruit from a neighboring tree that looked just like black cherries. I opened one up and verified there was a single seed inside. However, the leaves were all completely gone from the tree, so I was unable to check them for identification and the telltale red "fuzz" that sometimes is on the underside along the midrib. It was quite a small tree, perhaps a shrub.

I suspect this is some very late-ripening relative of black cherry - I've done some Googling and checking on other sites but can't come up with a definite answer. Any thoughts? Thanks!

A picture is worth a thousand words. Helpful keys would be the bark of the tree, shape, a leaf from under the tree. Pic of the fruit whole and opened to show color of the flesh and a reference for size of fruit and leaf. These are all things i have used to identify trees and plants in general.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Definitely would need a picture.
    For winter trees, I'd suggest a key called Woody Plants in Winter by Core and Ammons.
    It'll work in PA.
    Lots of fruits on shrubs that resemble cherries but aren't. If the fruit are still on the trees in November you have to wonder. Cherries would all be gone by now.
    Plenty of haws, crabapples, hollies and viburnums keep fruit this time of year, not as palatable to the wildlife.
    Racemes or umbels?
    black? or blue?
    leaf scars alternate or opposite.
    Really need pictures and even then trying to key plants from photos online has burned me before.
    Never eat anything unless really sure.
    Last edited by LowKey; 11-08-2013 at 10:40 PM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant