Thread: CORRECTION - DETAILS re "A Bear Ate His Food..."

Default CORRECTION - DETAILS re "A Bear Ate His Food..."

This was posted by Sturgeon on canoetripping.net. He has translated the French (Quebec?) account of what REALLY happened to the outdoorsman, Lavoie, in northen Canada. I have permission to post this, from Murat V, on Buscraft USA. Brackets are by Murat V.

"Lots of lively discussion (and more accurate facts) being discussed on the canoetripping.net thread. Seems like the english language papers are getting some of the facts wrong (eating his dog after 3 days, bear destroying his canoe). A poster by the name of Sturgeon translated a french article that seems to be a better account - the paddler was armed with 2 rifles and the bear didn't destroy his canoe - just stole his food bag. He didn't kill his dog 3 days later (source was some guy on twitter) but near the end of ordeal 3 months in. After the bear "attack" in August, he continued down river, hunted & fished for food for nearly a month. Then he got injured, couldn't portage, the weather turned, matches soaked, boots froze & he had no means of fire. Here's a repost of Sturgeon's writeup with square brackets being his personal comments...

La Frontiere - Cinq tentatives pour sauver sa peau

Five tries, to save his skin
    Injured and starving, Marco Lavoie made five attempts to make his way back to civilization and save his own life.

Having navigated two thirds of the Riviere Nottaway, between Lake Matagami and the village of Waskaganish, the adventurer injured his ankle.

On a remote river chock full of rapids that needed to be bypassed by carrying everything on foot, the injury left him in deep $£!+.

Misadventures

Mr. Lavoie left on the 17th of July on a two month trip with his dog, to descend 230 km [143 miles] on the Nottaway River to Hudson Bay.

After an uneventful month, his campsite was attacked by a bear. The bear damaged some of his equipment and stole his food bag.

But all was not lost. Armed with two rifles, he managed to hunt, trap and fish. He continued to descend the river. Two thirds of the way down the river between Lake Mattagami and the village of Waskaganish, he injured his ankle badly. [Doesn't say exactly when.] There were dozens of portages to do, and the banks of the river being steep (25-40 feet high), it was too painful to portage. So he stopped for one month to heal the ankle.

[So after a month to heal, we're talking at least late September, I guess, if not later]

The worst was yet to come

All his attempts to continue descending the river--which was starting to freeze up--failed. Finally he was forced to stop and wait for rescue, since the most difficult section of the river still lay ahead.The helicopter pilot, Claude Richard, says, "It was a good thing that he stopped at that point, because he wouldn't have been able to continue in his condition. Just below that point, there was a very rocky rapid, dropping 5 metres over 3 km [16 feet over 2 miles]. He would never have arrived at the end of that rapid on the right side of the canoe" [I like that expression]

In time, food and ammunition became scarce. Hungry and incapable of obtaining food, he was forced to kill his German Shepherd to eat it. In spite of that, for one week before his rescue he had nothing to eat. An SQ officer (provincial police officer) Benoit Coutu, says, "With the weather and storms, his tent and sleeping bag were torn and wet. He had no matches". His boots and socks were also soaked. He took them off to try and dry them, but without fire, and with nighttime temperatures around -10C (14F), they froze solid, rendering them useless.

The man was finally rescued more than three months after the beginning of his trip. While being taken out of the forest, he expressed to his rescuers his wish to get a new dog and train it for search and rescue work in the bush.

[so i'm guessing late August the bear attacks, late Septmber he hurts his ankle, mid October he kills his dog. Last week of October he has nothing at all to eat. Rescued end of October] "
    Thought this might clear up a lot of misinformation floating around.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Thanks for the up date.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

That sounds a bit more "real" than anything we've heard so far. Sort of speaks to having some backups. Those matches get wet you're in a world of hurt.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

More logical chain of events than most reports, that being said the media Quebec (french/english), Canadian and International were sadly off track and misled all.
    Glad he did indeed make it out, maybe a lesson in here somewhere.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Quote Originally Posted by tsitenha View Post
    ...maybe a lesson in here somewhere.
    Judge not?
    "everything's temporary if you give it enough time" J Kilcher

www.HoofRehab.com

Go a head, take your best shot.
    From failure always lessons to be learnt
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Ok this sounds much more reasonable then the tidbits we were getting. THIS I can understand happening to an experience person with common sense.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

This is being discussed on every woodsy forum there is! This does seem a bit more realistic. However, he still made a lot of mistakes that I like to most of us wouldn't have. First off, redundancy! Various reports said he ran out of matches or they got wet; did he really know of no other way or have any other means to make fire!? Man, fire is light! Matches are light, a lighter is very light, and a firesteel weighs nothing for the amount of fires you can get. Carry a backup to the backup, and back that up with something carried on your body! If you have matches galore in your pack, have a lighter in your pocket and firesteel on your belt. Having two guns was great! Having enough ammo to keep them running would have been better. I realize he planned on living off the food he carried but if you're alone, with no backup- in bear country! - you have to be prepared. Did he have a bear bag/cannister for his food? He should have (if he didn't).

It especially seems he could have had more with him considering he was going by canoe. Certainly having backups securely stored there in a waterproof container would have been smart. Once he hurt his ankle and couldn't portage he still could have used the cache of stuff inside it.

I don't mean to Monday morning QB the situation; he did survive, after all. But he got lucky. Hopefully we can all learn a lesson. The arrival date you leave with someone should be set in stone! I read that after he was a month overdue his family thought he was just taking his time! Imagine that extra month before anyone started looking. And I have to say he should have had a PLB.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

I second having a set in stone return date. When ever I go somewhere by myself, I leave my expected return date, my "I will be back by date and if I am not, call someone". And then I give the numbers of who to call. I leave this with my trusted friend who has the sense and resources to do something about it.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

+1 on what 1stimestar said. I think if I intended to spend a couple of weeks in the wilderness like he did a sat phone would have gone with me. You can rent the darn things these days and in this case it would have made all the difference.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I still feel bad for the dog, maybe buddy just needed a little more coureur des bois in his blood.