Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bear ate his food so he just sat and starved?

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Default A bear ate his food so he just sat and starved?

Talk about ill prepared!

A Quebec man is in serious condition in a hospital in the Abitibi region after being found alive by provincial police three months after he embarked on a canoe trip in northern Quebec.

The 44-year-old left July 16 for a solitary, two-month canoe trip on the Nottaway River, north of Matagami, said Sergeant Claude Denis of the Sûreté du Québec.
    The rest of the story here:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/trave...458/story.html
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Well at least he came back alive.......
    No body we know, is it?.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Dem Quebecors are generally weirdos.

I'm interested in finding out the details once he can talk.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    I'm interested in finding out the details once he can talk.
    So am I.

That story is sadly lacking in details of what happened to bring the man to that state of near-death. In addition to eating all the guy's food, did the bear eat his tent, sleeping bag, pack, equipment, etc.? Or did the man go out into the boonies for a few weeks with nothing but a canoe, paddle, and some food??

Did the man have either a shotgun or rifle for meat procurement and bear protection??

After the bear ate all his food, why didn't he just jump in his canoe and paddle back to civilization? Was he severely injured that he couldn't paddle home? Etc., etc., etc.

Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts.

S.M.
    Last edited by Seniorman; 11-01-2013 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Correct typo.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Exactly! But the article says he was still too weak to talk so we'll see if the details come out soon.

I've heard (and used) "the dog ate my homework" but never the bear ate my food. Has he never heard of a bear canister?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

This is a weird story. I am thinking there is more to it. If the bear eats your food you have lots of choices. One is going back to civilization early. Another is finding other sources of food. I did a 58 mile, week long back packing trip as a boy scout. We had one patrol that didn't heed the warnings to put their food in the bear box. Well the bear ate their food and tore up their packs. The packs were prepared but it was day 3 of the trip. Because of their stupidity the entire troop was going to have to go back. Except....that several of use were prepared with fishing gear. We went to work catching trout. Between the fishing, snacks scouts brought, and sharing of rations from the other patrols we were able to make it through the trip. Even if it took us a couple days to get back and all our food had been eaten by bears, with fishing we could have had enough to survive and get back. If we had canoes it would have been even faster as we could have just jumped on the river and floated down to the next point of civilization. Going with the river flow doesn't burn too many calories. That's why I'm thinking this guy got hurt or was too sick to float down the river.

It is good lesson though in letting someone back home know exactly where you will be and when you will be back. Also, for those longer trips one of those emergency beacons would probably be a good investment. Especially if a person plans on going by themselves. Too many things can go wrong not to have a plan B and probably even a plan C.
    If you can keep your head when all about you, are losing their's and blaming it on you. -Kipling

I don't know about just paddling back to civilization. It's a really remote areas. He very well could have been a month or so of paddling from any town.

The gentleman in question had the attack happen in August, so there was the first part of the trip that was done with food and equipment, so much is being withheld I do not know if the truth will ever be made public. Not good for tourism, I will ask some friends in that area that canoe trek to see if they know more, could take a while if it is told.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Cool, thanks.

Well he had a german shepard dog with him, used a rock to brain dog and ate it after a wile, it tells me that he even had no knife on him. The river system that he was on is very demanding even treacherous, he had been warned by local Cree not to travel it. I would consider that he lost his gear in the river, makes more sense to me. Blame the bear for destroying canoe and other equipment, just makes for a better story. As far as the bear eating his food I'm ok with that. But canoe trekking, in troubled waters with no personal items on you, pockets, belt etc.. makes no sense to me, especially from a point of view that he was experienced
    So far bits and pieces are coming out, none seem to follow a logical trend of events, just my .02c
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,

Ohhh bush gossip and speculation. I love it! Yea this story has more holes in it then a strainer. Ok that wasn't very creative but hey, it's early. I think that just because he survived the first time, didn't make him experienced, just lucky.

Okay, I won't equate the life of the dog with a human life, but man- supposedly the dog saved him from the bear, and the reward was bashing his brains in and eating him?! On one level I guess you could say the dog saved him twice but I love animals...that's a pretty sh!tty way to treat a companion animal. It sounds like he was extraordinarily foolish and ill equipped. It's a miracle he survived.

Now the story progresses, he brained his dog on the second day after the bear ate his food and gear. He wasn't even starting to go hungry yet, in my opinion.
    This story keeps changing with every new report, that as I said before it follows no logic.
    He is in a water environment, hence the canoe; a simple E fishing kit, (fish hit lures like crazy up there in the wilds), would have made quite a difference, unless you accept that the bear ate it all?????
    Was found dehydrated??? in a water environment? Northern Ontario/Quebec, you can't go far without stepping into some sort of water.
    As far as eating his dog, well after a while I would but that would take some time, as I conveniently carry survival rations around my waist
    I just have a hard time trying tom wrap my mind around the list(s) of "events". It just doesn't make sense.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,

Quote Originally Posted by Oddmott View Post
    Dem Quebecors are generally weirdos.
    Yeah, we tend to be sometimes

Wow on the 2nd day? That's crazy. I mean, as sad as I would be to eat my dog, if I were starving I would. But I don't see me starving in that environment, not ever starving enough to eat my pet.

I'm sorry, but I would starve with my dog.........and this dude just went down to Mr. Dumas in my book.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Wow on the 2nd day? That's crazy. I mean, as sad as I would be to eat my dog, if I were starving I would. But I don't see me starving in that environment, not ever starving enough to eat my pet.
    I love my dog so much, I don't think i'd be able to go to that level. Furthermore, I think I'd be on the hunt for enough food for the both of us !! lolll

I would be having my dog hunt food for both of us hahaha.