Thread: Question on snare material

Default Question on snare material

I've always used light wire or steel fishing leads for snares as all have done well. But sometimes when I'm low on materials I don't feel like a run to the sportsmans store in town. A friend of mine said he had used weed-eater string. I would think prey would see this and avoid it. Had anyone ever heard or used this method? Or even your thoughts?

I've never heard of it. I'm having trouble understanding how it would work however. I don't know how you would ever fashion a noose with it. That stuff is so stiff you can't turn it on itself or tie a knot in it. Then you have the issue of how it would lock in place around the animal. Because it's so stiff I'd think it would loosen up if the animal took pressure off of it. I'd ask your friend to show you how he uses it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I thought the same thing. And told him that a noose would be next to impossible but he just went on to say it maintains a loop well. I think he is just trying to seem better than everyone else with an idea no one does. I'm all for trying new things but when I can clearly tell its not practical chances are I won't try it. I asked him to show me. But he didn't have anything string but I do and will bring it next time I see him and give an update

I can't see how it would work either......I think this is one that you just nod and say.....Right.....then don't pay attention to it.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

That's about what I did. First to tie a noose is impossible and second if the animal stops pulling the noose will ride back up the snare releasing your meal. I do give him props for thinking outside the box. No such thing as a wrong idea or bad training. All a learning experience

I use wire too but I think I could make weed whip line work. I'm going to give it a try. Not saying a slam dunk but I have a couple ideas.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

You would almost have to make a spring snare I would think to keep the animal snugged up and to keep it from chewing through the line. The knot part has me stymied. Maybe you could make a lasso.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

He showed me how and it's possible. But he failed to mention it's only for one animal. A hog. Tie big noose is the only way. It could work. But I don't want to have to tangle with a 350 pound piece off pi$$ed of muscle, so I'll leave that too him.

.....you know of course that 50-60 people are out in the shed, garage, or basement....trying to tie a knot in the trimmer line....Right?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yeah I bet but they should figure out it's not going to be very effective. The knot he tied was hug and the noose could lasso a calf.

Looks like my lasso comment was closer than I thought.