Thread: Salsa Bomb

Default Salsa Bomb

A friend sent me some of her Salsa from Florida to SC. The mailman didn't leave it on Monday and it was today before could pick it up. I opened the box and saw the jar lid was swollen big time. Though it was packed to a point where it couldn't be damaged. I cracked the lid slightly and it spewed liquid for 10 minutes. There was a lot, I mean a lot of pressure in this ball jar with a canning lid. I figure it would of busted anytime had I not gotten it today! I haven't been able to find out if she water bathed it yet...Do you think it is safe to eat? Smells phenomenal!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    " ... Do you think it is safe to eat? Smells phenomenal!
    I love good, fresh salsa... but I wouldn't eat that salsa you received on a whiskey bet.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Found out it was water bathed....I am gonna add some water and boil it! Cost her 40 bucks to get it here. If I boil it is it possible anything could make me sick?
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    A friend sent me some of her Salsa from Florida to SC. The mailman didn't leave it on Monday and it was today before could pick it up. I opened the box and saw the jar lid was swollen big time. Though it was packed to a point where it couldn't be damaged. I cracked the lid slightly and it spewed liquid for 10 minutes. There was a lot, I mean a lot of pressure in this ball jar with a canning lid. I figure it would of busted anytime had I not gotten it today! I haven't been able to find out if she water bathed it yet...Do you think it is safe to eat? Smells phenomenal!
    This must be SALSA GIFT WEEK! I just got back from a couple of days of R&R on Cape Cod and found a little gift with this note from my neighbor at my door:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I would not eat it. What caused the swelling...botchulinum toxin?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You can't be serious. You know the reason it was swollen is because it was spoiled. Would a $2000 hospital bill be better than the $40 spent to ship? Cut her losses and dump the stuff.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Absolutely do not eat it. It doesn't matter if it went through the water bath process of not, the seal has broken and it is now a bacterial bomb waiting to go off.

Put the whole thing, jar and all, into a rubbish bag and put it in the bin. Preferably whilst wearing gloves, then bin them too. I can't stress enough the danger this poses.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Uh...what they said......
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Just imagine what will happen inside your gut!

All of the above. Not worth the risk.
    Hey, it was the thought that counted.

So? What'd you do with it?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    So? What'd you do with it?
    Well, if you don't receive a reply from Cowboy Survival in the next three days .... that means he ate it.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I was thinking the same thing when I posted that. Had to make sure he was still posting.

I errored to the side of caution! I dumped it.

I think even the bull was worried there for a bit.