Thread: Greetings from the Eastern Oregon High Desert

Default Greetings from the Eastern Oregon High Desert

Greetings all.... Looking forward to learning some things, sharing some knowledge, and having some new ideas to experiment with in the wilds. I live near endless miles of desert, juniper forests, and mountain terrain and I spend every chance I get out in it! Here's a little about me, and then I'm off to lurk and learn...

Male, 42 years old. Occupation: Marketing/Media. Location: dry side of oregon.

Survival Related Background: A lot of suffering my way into learning a few things the hard way through a decent amount of hunting/camping/backpacking/time spent in the wilds. I don't know very much, but most of what I know is pretty solid. I'm always learning and adjusting. I've actually been stranded unintentionally over night in the mountains a couple of times with just what was in my hunting day pack. I have some tactical firearms training (handgun, carbine, shotgun, rifle) am decently proficient with a few weapons systems including Glocks, AR15/M16 variants, REM 70O, M14/M1A, 1911's, etc. I wouldn't say I'm anything close to an expert but can shoot them decently enough and do most of the field level maintenance and repair work to keep them functioning. I really enjoy precision/long range rifle shooting.

Recently, what with the state of the world/politics/etc. I've been thinking more about the possibility that I may actually need to use some of my skills. With that my gear has started to go through a bit of an evolution... My backpacking setup has evolved into more of an INCH pack, my standard emergency pack that I carry in my vehicles has evolved into more of a bug out/get back pack, and my typical hunting/hiking day pack seems to have legitimately turned into a bug out pack...interesting...lol

I do fairly regularly spend a day (or a couple) in the woods with my bug out pack, testing it out, building shelter, fire, etc.

For the most part I've been flying solo on my quest to becoming better prepared, so I'm looking forward to interacting with and learning some stuff from some other people.

Cheers

Great introduction! Welcome to Wilderness Survival!

I hope to learn from you a lot, and I hope you'll acquire the knowledge and the skills you're needy of.

Quote Originally Posted by III World War View Post
    Great introduction! Welcome to Wilderness Survival!

I hope to learn from you a lot, and I hope you'll acquire the knowledge and the skills you're needy of.
    Thank you! I'm looking forward to it!

Juniper Shelter front.jpg

If this image uploads... It's a shot of the shelter I spent a very rainy and cold night in a few weekends ago.

Wow. It's a nice shelter!!!

Hello and welcome.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Welcome home and thank you for the intro.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hunter63, saying Hey and Welcome.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Forums! Great introduction!
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

shelter.jpg

Welcome from Alaska, Backup. I like your shelter, too. Sorta reminds me of one I built.
    Last edited by thefemalesurvivalist; 10-26-2013 at 04:57 PM.

http://thefemalesurvivalist.blogspot.com

In the end you find no one wins, and the race was only with yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by thefemalesurvivalist View Post
    shelter.jpg

Welcome from Alaska, Backup. I like your shelter, too. Sorta reminds me of one I built.
    Yes. Nice work!
    Take everything you need...nothing you don't...