Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting a New Garden

Well I have some mushroom compost and screened top soil coming tomorrow. Once I got out on the property, I discovered it was all fill dirt. So I am several days into getting it tilled and changed some of my garden plans because of it. I am planning to amend the soil and then send off a sample for testing.

I did get a nice visit by a red-shouldered hawk, but was unable to find my good camera in time to get close-ups. He took off from my trees and flew into the neighbor's place.

IMG_9142 - Copy.jpgIMG_91421.jpgIMG_91441.jpgIMG_91481.jpgIMG_91491.jpg
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

You might want to send off a sample first so you know what needs to be amended.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I thought about that, but the soil is really rough and mostly clay and rocks. I probably have a couple more days of raking and tilling to get all the junk out of it. Then I am going to till in compost and soil in equal parts until I have nice loose dirt mounded up. Of course the rain today did not help anything.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

Blog Entries

Good to know you're making progress. I have heavy clay too. After one of the chaps at the allotment field rotovated it for me I went from concrete blocks to clay pebbles and that's about as good as it's going to get without many more years of hard graft. We'll have to compare notes at the end of the season.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I love the mushroom mulch.....The stuff I used to get was a bag about the size of a 55 gal drum....about 1/2 full...they said a yard?....but was only $25 cents a bag...to get rid of it.

Wad 1/3 composted cow manure, 1/3 sandy dirt and 1/3 grounds up straw........You couldn't ask for a better amendment for clay.
    I would drive out to the mushroom farm and load up my little Toyota pick up.....for like $5 bucks....LOL.

Even got some mushrooms out of the garden.

Then came the fateful day....I drove out there to find a semi trailer, hammer mill and a bagging machine......some one had bought all of the used, was kinda grinding it up, and re-bagging it for sale......The end of a good thing.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Good to know you're making progress. I have heavy clay too. After one of the chaps at the allotment field rotovated it for me I went from concrete blocks to clay pebbles and that's about as good as it's going to get without many more years of hard graft. We'll have to compare notes at the end of the season.
    Tilling has been great fun...my thighs are thoroughly bruised from riding it like a bull. I am using the same tiller my father rebuilt over 20 years ago for my mother's garden, so no modern comforts but it gets the job done. The delivery came, so now it is just a matter of mixing and spreading it out. I still have not nailed down a list of what I am going to plant.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I love the mushroom mulch.....The stuff I used to get was a bag about the size of a 55 gal drum....about 1/2 full...they said a yard?....but was only $25 cents a bag...to get rid of it.

Wad 1/3 composted cow manure, 1/3 sandy dirt and 1/3 grounds up straw........You couldn't ask for a better amendment for clay.
    I would drive out to the mushroom farm and load up my little Toyota pick up.....for like $5 bucks....LOL.

Even got some mushrooms out of the garden.

Then came the fateful day....I drove out there to find a semi trailer, hammer mill and a bagging machine......some one had bought all of the used, was kinda grinding it up, and re-bagging it for sale......The end of a good thing.
    It has killed me to buy compost and dirt for the first time. Unfortunately everyone that advertises cheap stuff around here doesn't advertise they don't know how to answer a phone or return a call. I ended up going with one of the retail places and it cost me about 4x as much but at least it is all nicely screened and clean. I read a lot of good stuff about mushroom compost, a little bit goes a long way they say. I live amongst about a dozen horse farms, so I plan to have some manure dropped off to compost for next year. Finding it fresh for a small delivery fee is easy but not what I needed to get started this year.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

First, I will make an effort to take some pictures and upload them tomorrow. We are in the regular 70s-80s now, so I got some seeds in the ground. I have two row prepared so far. The first one I used some giant bamboo from the property as stakes and ran wires across them to hold tomatoes and peas. I saw a youtube video where a guy did this instead of cages and seemed to work well for tomatoes. So I have a mix of large heirloom, large hybrid, cherry tomatoes, and peas planted. The second bed I planted corn, watermelon, cantaloupe, and pumpkins. I covered it with plastic to keep it nice and warm, so hopefully there will be some sprouts in a few days.

When I get the next bed prepared, I plan to add another set of poles for beans. I also have radish and beets in the plan. I have yet to decide what else to plant and will still have another bed to prepare.

On the edge of the property I have grapes, blackberries, raspberries, an apple, peach, and plum tree all planted. They seem to be doing well and there is already some noticeable growth.

I will update when there is some new progress.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

Blog Entries

That's great! My garden is ahead of you in preparation, but our temps are not high enough to plant out the more tender veg. I hope to update with a few pics myself in a day or so.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I got a late start this year due to the cooler temps, but everything is blooming now.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

I am planting some tulips in my garden. But I would like to ask where to place them.I am thinking about placing them near the pond.

Are you folks going into fall down there? Tulip bulbs do best planted in the fall in well drained soil. Ours are nearing the end of their blooming season. The blooms are just starting to wilt and will probably fall off in another week. You will be okay near a pond, if that's where you want to plant them, as long as the ground isn't wet. Tulip bulbs will simply rot in wet ground.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well, I got a bit of ambition and ended up double digging my next bed. It was not the most fun I have had, but was really pleased with the results. I will probably do it to my next bed as well. I wanted to have very loosed and debris free soil for my root vegetables. I also managed to get away with burning the eyesore left by the previous owners. I was happy to find a mound of composted logs underneath the burned burned brush. My little guy was there to help me all day when he wasn't chasing butterflies. I took a picture of a cutaway of the original soils, the sifted layer, and finally the sifted compost/topsoil just to show what I am trying.

I do have corn and pumpkins sprouting, just waiting on watermelons and catelopes to reveal themselves. I also got my sweet and hot peppers in the ground yesterday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

I would say you are doing well......good looking dirt after the double dig.

I agree. By the way, I think the newer child labor laws forbid children under 4 operating machinery. Just one more example of governmental interference. I could be wrong of course.

You are gonna need ROP and belts.....LOL

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Oh I am so jealous of you all with your gardening weather. I can hardly wait! But we rarely dare to put anything in the ground before June 1. I'm waiting on a warm weekend to even start the garden and finagle my grey water sand filter. I hope it works!
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

If you want to gain a few precious weeks then you can either build a frame and cover it with plastic. You can use just about anything that will bend into a half moon shape so you can drape the plastic over it. Just make it about six inches from top to ground so you have a small place to warm and make sure it's where the sun can hit it. You'll be surprised what you can do with a mini me greenhouse.

Thanks fellas. The 2yo needs a lap but does help driving, the 6yo has it on his own now in 1st gear. He helps when not in school and is more than happy to pick up sticks when he gets to drive

I saw Walmart use the same concept with bent pvc pipe on their plants when we were still having the in between weather. I may try something like that next year when I am more prepared.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

Here is my recent update...I also have lettuce and beet sprouts since taking these pictures.

Made sure to add a picture of my garden warriors
    Attached Images Attached Images

VISIT MY EBAY STORE