Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ethanol fuel

Default Ethanol fuel

Anyone know much about it, what it takes to convert generators or small appliances to be able to run on it? I'm not talking about every day use, but SHTF. I would like to be able to have a way to get power from ethanol fuel in the event of a disaster.

Here is an article from an old Mother Earth News.....they did a lot of work with it back in the 80's.
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/renew...#axzz2iUjGcv3y

They also talked about it use as fuel, and the need to "dry it".....or remove the moister so it would burn.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

By dry You mean create a vacuum to break azeotrope and get 100%?

Basically want to know if its worth looking into. Or if its too expensive and time consuming to make worth while.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
    By dry You mean create a vacuum to break azeotrope and get 100%?

Basically want to know if its worth looking into. Or if its too expensive and time consuming to make worth while.
    Not real sure.........I did have a chance to see that 6" still working at the Mother Earth News ECO-Village back when 1984, and they were concerned about "drying".

Gonna need to do some research......and be aware some one might think you are making "moon"......

Gee that's an odd assumption to make. ��

I'm not very technically savvy on ethanol. I know that Brazil is one of the largest producers and they still use a blend. I've read a lot of anecdotal stories about ethanol ruining smaller engines. I do know it burns hotter and provides less horsepower so you consume more alcohol to do the same amount of work as compared to gasoline. Of course, your concern is when things go bad. It's been used a long time as a fuel for internal combustion engines going all the way back the 1800s. I have to agree with Hunter, you need to do some serious research before getting involved.

The moonshine issue is very valid. You know LEO would claim drinking alcohol no matter what your true intentions are. The Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) under The Department of the Treasury classifies ethanol as "spirits" and requires you to file an application for an alcohol producer permit. Even though the form refers to "plants" read the wording. It specifically looks at stills and individual owners.

http://www.ttb.gov/forms/f511074.pdf
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm well aware of the need for permits. And I'd have both sides of permits if they didn't make it cost thousands of dollars and allow them to come in your house at any moment like and FFL

I'm sorry my views may seem weird. I try to respect the law but how the hell can you say I can't cook some corn heat it and collect what comes off to use for personal things. It's a different story if some dude is trying to strike it rich selling illegal stuff.

The choice is yours. Just remember that a felony conviction stays with you forever.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
    I'm well aware of the need for permits. And I'd have both sides of permits if they didn't make it cost thousands of dollars and allow them to come in your house at any moment like and FFL

I'm sorry my views may seem weird. I try to respect the law but how the hell can you say I can't cook some corn heat it and collect what comes off to use for personal things. It's a different story if some dude is trying to strike it rich selling illegal stuff.
    There are a whole lot of activities that are considered illegal, so what you believe doesn't really matter....To "THEM"....you make your choice, and live with it.
    Sucks, but that the way it is.

Randy have you ever looked into wood gas? It's the fumes that are given off when making charcoal. You put wood in a sealed container, and start a fire around it. A hose from the top leads to the carb on your engine. I've seen videos of engines running off of that. If you have wood, you could have water and a way to run an engine in an emergency.
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Here again I am gonna reference the MEN...that had a pick up, and a stationary generator running off of wood gas.
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/shopp...itemnumber=762

http://www.motherearthnews.com/green...#axzz2iZD5ftrf

Quote Originally Posted by Jessthebuilder View Post
    Randy have you ever looked into wood gas? It's the fumes that are given off when making charcoal. You put wood in a sealed container, and start a fire around it. A hose from the top leads to the carb on your engine. I've seen videos of engines running off of that. If you have wood, you could have water and a way to run an engine in an emergency.
    Check out Mr. Tesslonian on you tube, has a bunch of videos on using wood gas, even runs a generator on it. Very interesting stuff.

I worked at an ethanol plant for a year, I think diesel or bio diesel would be a better option for home use. It's not hard to distill alcohol but it really burns hot. I don't think an engine will run for long on straight alcohol.

4 sheriff cars swarmed my house out in the stick and 1 helocopter with its spotlight down circled. All I could think of was on **** they're serious about this they saw my post here hahaha

Turned out some crazy was out in the country hanging on door with a rifle.

Think I need a new pair of shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy
    Turned out some crazy was out in the country banging on door with a rifle.

So naturally they thought of you, right? (I slay myself).

Bahahaha. Actually had a med standby for swat a week ago while they removed my neighbor barricaded in my uncles house. As soon as the call when out I got calls from other firefighters asking if I was ok or if i finally snapped... A holes ...

So how exactly does one get into a stand off.......?
    Does it very form state to state?

Seems you are in an interesting neighborhood......... LOL

I live far removed from city in a town of 8 houses. I have no idea why it's more event filled than the city especially lately.

The guy threw a seal bomb in the water off a dock. Neighbor for pissed and called the cops. They came he ran into the house and refused to come our. Their were guns in the house and because it involves explosives they were granted a warrant and k9 swat to remove him.

Hummmmm, and Mr. Dumas no doubt.

I'm not the brainiest guy in the world but if cops show up at my door with a dog and they ask me to come out the chances are pretty good that's what I'm going to do. The way I figure it if I don't I'm going to wind up getting dog bit, a new set of bracelets and I'm going outside anyway. I turn my dome light on when I get stopped at night too. I don't want LEO to mistake anything I'm doing for something bad.