Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help with hunting rifle.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Most excellent. Thanks for the laugh.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Now that funny....Thanks.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I worked in alaska for 2 years all over Ak valdez, kotzbue, deadhorse , fairbanks , anchorage, barrow,yakatak I fished them all except barrow , I saw some HUGE bears in yaky and valdez and fairbanks I would not be comfortable trying to stop a large bear charging with a 30-06 I would suggest a 338 with a muzzle brake or as suggested a 375 h and h with a muzzle brake loud but recoil reduced alot bigger bullet surface energy alot higher shock value crap load higher . Foot per pounds of energy is alot high .Just my opinion .. good luck ..

So what did you go with?
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I didn't get one yet as I bought the kids .22 for Christmas. I have the whole winter to get one. I'm going with a 30.06 though.

Gotta post pics when you do!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

If its a big game rifle. A Ruger M77 Mk2 stainless steel Hawkeye chambered in 338 Win Mag. If a 1 rifle for everything other than brown bear. . A Ruger M77 Mk2 stainless steel Hawkeye or Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor.
    They are designed and built Alaska tough . Unlike all the push feed rifles out there

Lol I did end up getting a Ruger M77. I posted about it somewhere here. Ready for my spring bear hunt on the north slope. WOOT!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    I'd like a good all around hunting rifle. Having said that though, I know that carribou (about the size of your deer), moose (about the size of a big horse), and bear (about the size of bad ***!) can all have their specialty sizes. I'm most likely to be hunting moose with this gun. These are the choices a friend who does gun sales has right now. What would you suggest?

Howa 30-06 or 308 $525 300win mag would be $550, Weatherby Vanguard in a variety of calibers for $560, Tikka T3 in 7mm or 30-06 for $600.
    Supposedly, Savage makes a fantastic rifle. I don't own one, but almost all of the gun magazines and online reviews seem to agree that they make decent little guns. Especially when you can get a scope package for less than the price of the Howa, Weatherby, of Tikka. I think that a 30-06 would do just about anything, but I'm down here where the most we have is a 250 pound deer.

Have you looked at M1's? They are expensive, but anyone who used them will tell you that they work. I never used one, but my Grandfather could tell stories all day about them when he was in Germany after WWII. If a bolt on one got stuck, plan A was to stomp on the operating handle, plan B was to hit it with the butt of another rifle! Also, the semiautomatic would give you the upper-hand when Mama Bear or a bull moose comes charging.

Another option is a .50 caliber muzzleloader. It'll stop dear well, and with certain ammo, it might stop a moose or bear.

Does anybody have any other ideas?

If you read back a bit, I already got one.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Sorry Zach but you are a year late and did not read the post just ahead of your own.

1timestar bought a Ruger 77 in 30-06 almost a year ago!

Chances are she is eating what she killed with it this winter.

edit:
    Sorry 1TS we posted at the same time.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Got a spring bear hunt planned with Susan up at Kavik River Camp for this coming spring too. Mmm, spring bear.

If you read back a bit, I already got one.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Ha! Sure enough. I'm sorry about that, I just got excited, talking about rifles and whatnot, that's right up my alley. It's a pretty rifle, thanks for posting. Merry Christmas!
    Last edited by Zack; 12-24-2014 at 07:40 PM.

Banned

Default target pattern?

Got a spring bear hunt planned with Susan up at Kavik River Camp for this coming spring too. Mmm, spring bear.
    Photo of you with your Ruger M77 looks good but what some of us really wanted to see before your first bear or moose was the target pattern (a tight cluster) at 30, 50 yards. Or whatever is appropriate depending on the forest trees and brush you are going to be hunting in.

Funny story: A long time friend that I have hunted with often uses a .264 magnum. He is an excellent shot and has been hunting all his life. He spent thousands to go to Alaska just for caribou once then few years later a brown bear which takes up way too much space in his home LOL. But the funny thing is that occasionally I have seen him shoot over the top of game that was close in at about 20-50 yards and .264 magnum was sighted for about 100 or 200 yards. Bitting tongue not to laugh. I also made a rude comment about how small his Alaskan brown bear was, should have just admired it in silence. (I never did ask what gun he used for these hunts.) I was just very jealous, looks like a lot of fun. One of my wife's clients brought back a huge polar bear had it stuffed in the lobby for years depreciating against taxes, took one of their clients on the hunt, everything a tax write off. Very Nice! Crazy Tax laws. Now owner who shot it can take it home, zero cost to him. Sweet! I assume he has a 20+ foot tall entrance at his house, P-bear was mounted in standing position. LOL
    Last edited by TXyakr; 12-30-2014 at 05:01 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    Photo of you with your Ruger M77 looks good but what some of us really wanted to see before your first bear or moose was the target pattern (a tight cluster) at 30, 50 yards. Or whatever is appropriate depending on the forest trees and brush you are going to be hunting in.

Funny story: A long time friend that I have hunted with often uses a .264 magnum. He is an excellent shot and has been hunting all his life. He spent thousands to go to Alaska just for caribou once then few years later a brown bear which takes up way too much space in his home LOL. But the funny thing is that occasionally I have seen him shoot over the top of game that was close in at about 20-50 yards and .264 magnum was sighted for about 100 or 200 yards. Bitting tongue not to laugh. I also made a rude comment about how small his Alaskan brown bear was, should have just admired it in silence. (I never did ask what gun he used for these hunts.) I was just very jealous, looks like a lot of fun. One of my wife's clients brought back a huge polar bear had it stuffed in the lobby for years depreciating against taxes, took one of their clients on the hunt, everything a tax write off. Very Nice! Crazy Tax laws. Now owner who shot it can take it home, zero cost to him. Sweet! I assume he has a 20+ foot tall entrance at his house, P-bear was mounted in standing position. LOL
    Oh I can guarantee those bear hunts were pricey. $20,000 would not be unheard of.

Anyways, I didn't take any pictures of the targets because I was distracted with my friend trying her new gun as well as my new gun out and my zeroing in my kids' new guns and helping them. I only got to shoot mine a few times. Once it warms up a bit I'll take it to the range so I know the distance. I'm really bad at determining distances...sigh. I am a pretty good shot, used to be really good. I am right handed but left eye dominant so I have to really practice with this gun/scope before actually hunting with it. Can't be perfect at everything lol.

Banned

1stimestar That sounds very good especially that your kids are also shooting. My oldest daughter shot well when she was very young. At a YMCA campout she won 1st place over 100+ girls and many dads who shot for their daughters. My theory is that many girls do better at shooting and fly fishing etc than boys their age because on average they listen to instruction better. Unfortunately my kids were allowed to watch silly movies like Bambi so after a while they refused to hunt and fish. Should have moved to Alaska and controlled the TV better. LOL That friend who went to Alaska for caribou and bear has a 14 year old daughter that shot a 15 point non-typical deer last year. He was always very anti-Disney Bambi and such. LOL

Edit: Be sure not to mix in tracer rounds when you go to the rife range like this knuckle head did in DFW, TX about a year ago. It was one of those OMG I can't believe he did that moments. Some men really are idiots… LOL
    http://www.dallasnews.com/news/commu...tches-fire.ece
    Last edited by TXyakr; 12-31-2014 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Tracer rounds at gun range

Every year a Madison Wisconsin radio station plays the sound track of "Bambi" for like 15 minutes out of evey hour during deer season....lol

That right there is funny hunter, I dont care who you are! HA HA!

Deer hunter recite along with the sound track.....like the Rocky Horror Picture Show.....Madison, WI has a lot of "Bunny huggers"....LOL