Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help with hunting rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Weatherby Vanguard has a clone Remington 700 action with the adjustable trigger.....and still is guaranteed factory groupings....
    Howa is a similar unit, ...
    I don't know if it is still true but for years, Howa made the actions for the Weatherby Vanguard rifles. They're good actions and the several people I know who have them like them.

FWIW.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

The majority of moose hunters I know go with 308 or 30-06, with 30-06 being the more popular of the two.

With the possibility of brown bear, I'd go with the .300 Win. Mag. I'd skip the short mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouthunter View Post
    With the possibility of brown bear, I'd go with the .300 Win. Mag. I'd skip the short mags.
    Actually about the same with the WSM....and the mag.....but both do the job.
    .300 win mag....165 gr (10.7 g) GMX 3,260 ft/s (990 m/s) 3,893 ft·lbf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_Winchester_Magnum

.300 wsm ....... 165 gr (11 g) HP 3,223 ft/s (982 m/s) 3,807 ft·lbf
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_Wi...r_Short_Magnum
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I liked the Howa .308 I had. I should not have traded it off. For versatility (and ability to get rounds anywhere) I would go with the 30-06.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

The 30/06 is one of the finest all around guns you can own and ammo is always available. Get a Tika, Savage, or Remington with a Limbsaver recoil pad and you won't regret it. The 06 can kick pretty hard but not as bad as the magnums!

You only feel the recoil when sighting in or practice.....never when shooting at an animal....if you do you aren't concentrating enough...LOL

30-06 hands down. It is a VERY versatile round that is easy to find. You can run anything from 555 grain to 220 grain bullets thru it for a wider variety of game the gun can take. I own 2 30-06's right now and would gladly ad more to the pile. Invest in a GOOD scope made for the winter!! You can spend 500$ on a gun but the good glass will cost around 1000$. HOWEVER I am finding that Vortex optics make a fine scope for less money.

How far away are you thinking of being from game when you shoot?

OH, a rubber stockpad helps a LOT on my 30-06's. worth the extra 10-20$ for it.

A friend who has a home in Fairbanks go's up there yearly to hunt. Last year his boy got his black bear, moose, caribou with his Marlin 25-06. No matter what rifle you pick, some people will knock the caliber. Just remember shot placement is what counts... Also have a good backup side arm...
    Last edited by Woodmaster750; 10-23-2013 at 01:30 PM.
    The Great Spirit and Country. Semper Fi.

The .30-06 would by my hands down choice Even if I didn't reload the chances of locating a factory load the rifle would shoot accurately are extremely likely. on the plus side is the .30-06 ability to handle bullets 200 grains and above. As for a rifle , I would check out the Marlin X7 line there is a lot of gun there for the price.

Ed

You might be interested in the .50 Beowulf. I'm sure it will stop anything in your part of the country.

http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/.50...lf-Rifles.html

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Correct me if I am wrong but the .50 Beowulf is a 150 yard round?

If you are primarily hunting moose, which she said she was, you aren't doing so at long distances are you? I could understand the concern with elk perhaps.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Nope, wouldn't be very far away Rick.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You might be interested in the .50 Beowulf. I'm sure it will stop anything in your part of the country.

http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/.50...lf-Rifles.html

Gas station some where in Alaska....

"Hey buddy, I looking for some more ammo....?
    "Whatcha looking for?"

Yeah, I looking for some .50 Beowulf....?

"What the heck is THAT?"

"You know, moose stuff...saw it on the interweb."

"Hey Clem, some idiot is looking for some....What did you say it was? ...Oh yeah, .50 cal wolf something.....Nope, don't got that.
    Got some -06 if you are needing it........"

Quote Originally Posted by DOGMAN View Post
    .375 H&H mag...more versatile than people think
    Rare I ever hear that but it's true. I've hunted all over with a .375 H&H for all sizes of game. 260 gr ballistic tips to 300+ gr. partitions depending on the animal I'm hunting.
    Take everything you need...nothing you don't...

Hevijunk Marlin Has some fine rifles in the XL7 class. 243, 308, 30-06, 25-06, 223 and bigger calibers. No matter what rifle she gets there will always be a butthead out there who will knock it.
    The Great Spirit and Country. Semper Fi.

True that Woodsmaster , true that !

Ed

I use a Browning A Bolt 30-06.. So, that would be my recommendation.albeit biased.
    That being said- .308 or 7mm would be fine too... Personally , I think a 300 win mag is too much gun, at least for where I'm hunting. I have friends who shoot 300 win and swear by it- they hunt in areas where they take MUCH longer shots than any area I ever hunt in though.
    30-06 is a pretty versatile round that would be my recommendation.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Yeah I think you'd be fine with the .308, 30-06, or 7mm mag. Any of those calibers will do the job it sounds like you're looking for. I would handle each of those three and pick the one that fits you best, you like the action, weight, etc. Heck even though the .300 win mag is probably a bit more than you need, It would work fine too. And you can certainly shoot some of the lighter loads through it and it can perform exactly like the .308, or 30-06. I tend to favor the 30 calibers so if it was me I would pick one of them over the 7mm but that's just my personal preference. Again, any of those calibers will do the job for you. I would pick based on which rifle you like the best.
    Take everything you need...nothing you don't...