Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stone knife

Default Stone knife

Hello people, I want to make a stone knife. I have never tried before. I read the how to, but still have a bunch of questions. What kind of stones work the best or what ones should be avoided? I live in WI so that will determine what my materials will be. Otherwise I could order a "blank" somewhere if someone knows where to get something like that. I'm open to any advice, pointers, or comments. Thank you.
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Do you know how to knap flint? If not, I suggest that you either get someone to teach you before you even get to the making of the knife or read and teach yourself.

Al
    Last edited by GI Jeaux; 10-15-2013 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GI Jeaux View Post
    Do you know how to knap flint? If not, I suggest that you either get someone to teach you before you even get to the making of the knife.

Al
    Good advice, ...and you need a pretty good sized piece if chert/flint/quartz for making a blade.

There is a type of rock from Hixton, WI that is famous for workability, called Hixton sugar quartz....and has been found all over the country.....traded by the Native Americans.

http://www.lithiccastinglab.com/gall...mberhixton.htm
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Jessthebuilder View Post
    Hello people, I want to make a stone knife. I have never tried before. I read the how to, but still have a bunch of questions. What kind of stones work the best or what ones should be avoided? I live in WI so that will determine what my materials will be. Otherwise I could order a "blank" somewhere if someone knows where to get something like that. I'm open to any advice, pointers, or comments. Thank you.
    I would post a link but, I guess that I am too new and it won't let me. So, google Sparrowcreek.biz.
    “They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
    Ben Franklin

I would post a link but, I guess that I am too new and it won't let me. So, google Sparrowcreek.biz.
    That's a heck of a site, thanks for posting.
    Few more posts and you can post links......I think it's like 10.

Here are a couple of pic's of one I picked up at a Rendezvous........Guy made and sold them for gas money to get there and back.
    Most likely the most expensive knife I own......Funny what one spend their money on.....LOL

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Holy crap Crash those are awesome. I'll take your advise as well. Gotta start somewhere right?

Here are some that have I made. Obsidian, flint, window glass, jar bottoms and even some fiber optics glass.

Al
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GI Jeaux; 10-15-2013 at 02:32 PM.
    “They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
    Ben Franklin

Very cool, nice work.......Thanks for giving us a look.

GI - Once you have 10 posts you should be able to post links. It's an anti-spam feature we have on the forum.

Jess - You can also work with the bottoms of broken bottles and porcelain from toilets. I'm no knapper (although I am a napper) but that's what everyone says anyway and that's all I know about that.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hunter, if you were talking to me, thank you.

Rick, I figured that I needed more posts, I just didn't know how many.
    One of the points I posted above is the bottom of a broken whiskey bottle. (the brown one) I also use broken TV picture tubes for material. In fact, I was just working on a monster point made from picture tube.

Al
    Last edited by GI Jeaux; 10-15-2013 at 09:17 PM.
    Ben Franklin

Hunter, if you were talking to me, thank you.

Rick, I figured that I needed more posts, I just didn't know how many.
    One of the points I posted above is the bottom of a broken whiskey bottle. (the brown one) I also use broken TV picture tubes for material. In fact, I was just working on a monster point made from picture tube.

Al
    Yeah, I was......nice.

Sorry Al, I was busy looking at your pic and didn't even see the jar bottom reference. Nice points!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

gremlinssss
    Last edited by randyt; 10-15-2013 at 08:48 PM. Reason: gremlins
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

you could make a hoko knife which is a appropriate stone flake in a handle.

http://www.primitiveways.com/pt-hoko.html
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Here is a pic of the one I am working on. It is TV picture tube glass.
    Also, a picture of an Obsidian Knife that I bought from Sparrowcreek for a study piece.

Al
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ben Franklin

Hey guys, I took your advice. I ordered a tool kit and 20lbs of material. It should be here tomorrow. I'm so excited!! I got an assortment of tools. Boppers, antlers, pressure flakers and a leg and hand pad. I got some flint and obsidian chunks. So I'll keep you posted on my progress. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction fellas.

Glad to hear it, looking forward to seeing how you do.
    Do not get frustrated. You will have failures, we all do. Just don't give up.

Al
    Ben Franklin

Just remember this.......the rock always knows what it wants to be. It is up to us to figure out what that is.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

My first arrowhead! I've tried a couple of different materials and some different tools. Ive broken several. All part of the game right? It's been a lot of fun to see a "chunk" turn into something else. Thanks again guys for pointing me in the right direction.

image.jpgimage.jpg