Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Wilderness/Survival Knife?

Bushman

Question Best Wilderness/Survival Knife?

Hello everyone. New here to the forums and though I would start out asking your opinion on knives. In your opinion what is the best reasonably priced ($60 - $100) wilderness/survival knife on the market right now? I don't want to take a $200 knife in the woods and use it as my camp knife. Right now I carry a Mora Companion MG in stainless for my camp knife. I really like it but, I think I would like something a little more stout and heavier. So what do you guys think?

Howdy and welcome to the forum. You have unwittingly opened the proverbial can of worms. Opinions will be as varied as the membership. What works for one may not work for another. I'm pretty comfortable carrying whatever knife I have handy.......and I have quite a few. Just think back to the days when most of the country was a wilderness......kitchen knives ruled the day.

Don't mind a little razzing that may occur - sometimes happens when any of us ask what is the best............
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

As Crash said it's a tool and every tool has those that like it and those that don't. Just about every manufacturer has quality blades in that price range so be prepared to see a lot of variation in responses.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.

My choice would be any knife that has to cost at least $350 bucks, has every thing you need in the handle for SAR....wakes me up in the morning, cooks breakfast....finds a good hunting spot, or the truck when lost......builds a camp...wipes my butt.....Then brags to every one what a great outdoorsman I am....yeah that's the ticket......

My choice is SAK, Mora or Buck/plus small hatchet ....Hunting and BOB's
    Primitive: Green river plus hawk......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

This question is also one of our favorite to humorously argue about.

Personally, I like a simple knife with no bells and whistles. Not even a handle. And it has to be huge. I mean gigantic.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post

Personally, I like a simple knife with no bells and whistles. Not even a handle. And it has to be huge. I mean gigantic.
    Working on another sword are you?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Bushman

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post

We talkin a Bowie knife here? Or something more like a claymore?

Either/or.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

A claymore for wood splitting. Hmmmmmm.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

This is the best ever survival knife
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

My personal favorite, Grohman # 4. The sheath is custom.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like a old hickory butcher knife or forgecraft brand butcher knife.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Blog Entries

Cool What?!

This is a joke, right? The Mora you have is just fine.....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

it should be carbon steel just in case a spark is needed.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Yeah, just rub it on the head of your strike anywhere match and violoa! spark.

zackley Rick, you're catching on LOL

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    This is the best ever survival knife
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I remember getting one of these for my 11th or 12th birthday, still have it for some reason! Gotta love the 80's!

http://youtu.be/-gj9CMvwfv4
    Last edited by Farley; 10-17-2013 at 10:56 PM.

Nothing better than 420 molecular stainless steel. That must be one tough knife.

Quote Originally Posted by NCWoodsman View Post
    Hello everyone. New here to the forums and though I would start out asking your opinion on knives. In your opinion what is the best reasonably priced ($60 - $100) wilderness/survival knife on the market right now? I don't want to take a $200 knife in the woods and use it as my camp knife. Right now I carry a Mora Companion MG in stainless for my camp knife. I really like it but, I think I would like something a little more stout and heavier. So what do you guys think?
    As far as what's best...I couldn't begin to even guess. But here are a few you might look at. You mentioned survival/bushcraft so the following are all ones that can be used for many of those types of tasks.

Short Becker Drop Point - Strong, decent edge holding about $70. There are several in the Becker line that may be interesting to you.

Ontario RAT or TAK - Thick blades, tough as nails, about $70-$80

Condor Bushlore - Surprisingly durable and useable for its $40 price tag

ESEE Knives - A bit more refined and well finished than the above ones but also a bit more expensive at $100-150 depending on the model

There are thousands out there. Ultimately you will just have to purchase and use a few of them to find the one that you like the best. Good luck on the search!
    Take everything you need...nothing you don't...

A couple more to consider,you'd be hard pressed to break a Ka-Bar Becker BK2 ( I LOVE mine)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3g0XXLYZ-4

Or for a bit less cash (both under $40 on Amazon!),Schrade's SCHF 9 and 10 (I love my 10! ) are good starters,strong as heck,well made and nice to look at too...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_B0SRsP_ag
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPFyyJTNWUE