Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm writing a survival film

Thanks JPGreco - It's all good. One of my best friends has the disorder, and I'm in contact with the governmental mental health organisation. So that side of it is covered!

Quote Originally Posted by piedle View Post
    " ... I think I'm going to try and find an Aussie site that's similar, but appreciate it anyway.
    Piedle, I think that is a good idea. If you've not been able to get out into the Australian boonies, or I suppose in the vernacular of "Oz," "the outback," you might go to the following site and watch the series of videos made by one of Australia's great and well known survival experts, Les Hiddins, or "Bush Tucker Man."

Although Hiddins is now retired, he was a major in the Australian Army, was a Vietnam infantry combat vet, and later was charged by the Aus. Army to travel throughout all Australia's remote country gathering all the methods of "survival" for the use of the Army members who might someday need the information. He traveled and filmed all over your country, and you might get some good ideas from some of the stuff he shows on the videos. I suggest you watch the whole series as they are very interesting and informatvie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_czeCgS4J4

You mentioned in your first post that your screenplay was already in "pretty good shape." I would suggest, however, that if you are at a point you have to start creating and cutting in a series of scenarios of how your protagonist gets in and out of dangerous survival situations, you have a major rewrite job on your hands. Believe me, I know what I am talking about.

I would also suggest if you have a chance and the time, get some camping gear and go out into some rough country there and do some camping, just to get a feel for what your characters might be doing, and experiencing.

As the old saying goes, "Writing ain't easy: the good writers just make it look that way."

Best of luck.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Thanks Seniorman, all very helpful.

And by in pretty good shape - I mean that the character journeys are pretty much nailed. And he continuously faces problems in this draft, it's just his way of solving them that are temporary. So they find creek water and he makes an improvised filter. He makes water bladders for them when they are forced to leave the creek. He knows they have to find open sky as there are a lot of light aircrafts around. He helps his ex-wife after her arm gets infected. WHAT happens in terms of survival is there. But it's his methods of helping that need work.

I know it might seem like a major rewrite is involved, and maybe down the road there will be. But my draft is due monday so any major overhauls might have to happen after then...

Quote Originally Posted by piedle View Post
    "Thanks Seniorman, all very helpful. ... I know it might seem like a major rewrite is involved, and maybe down the road there will be. But my draft is due monday so any major overhauls might have to happen after then...
    Monday. That's not much time when you're still doing research but if most of the characters, dialogue, and plot are already in line, I can see where you can finish the first draft and then later "fix it." To a writer in Hollywood the most hated words he can hear is when a producer says, "Great script. Oh, by the way, we have just a few little changes we want you to make."

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the same holds true in the Australian film business.

Good luck.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Australian film business? That's a novel idea. More like a national hobby that's largely ignored