Thread: outdoor WATERPROOF camera

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default outdoor WATERPROOF camera

We went down the creek again last weekend, and met a fellow who had a "GoPro" camera mounted to the front of his kayak. Has anyone else used one of these?
    It's just about time to retire that nikon.. the lens-cover has fallen off, there is propolis and honey in every nook and cranny, along with worm dirt and all sorts of other things, so it's time to invest in a camera that can take the abuse of a southern Georgia boy.
    I would like a decent megapixel count, and a high enough resolution that I can zoom in to the picture and not lose quality. Any suggestions?
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Batch posted a vid using a Go Pro.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ghlight=camera

So you can see how it looks. Several on here have them.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

YCC,

Be sure and check for the zoom feature you want.
    Last edited by sjj; 10-05-2013 at 02:01 AM.

I have the Pentax WGII, and love it. For a point and shoot it is excellent at 16 pixels, takes 25 minute movie clips, rechargeable batteries (buy extra's as the movie mode eats them up quickly) and it fits in your pocket, and doesn't need a case to protect it in the water up to 35 feet I believe. There is a gps version but mine doesn't have it.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks guys. I'll check those out. I looked at one in Best Buy that was decent price, but only had a 4x zoom and I think only 4MPx. I'd like to take better pics than that. If this nikon was waterproof (and honey, and brains, and worm goo..) it would be a most excellent outdoor cam, but I have really put that thing through the paces.
    And Thanks to Crash for that nikon. It has served me well.

Glad it's worked for you over the years.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

I know Gopros are very popular with mushers so they must be pretty tough.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

The GoPro is wide angled and so no zoom. I have had an Olympus Tough for years and we use them at work as well. Limited zoom on them like 5X I believe. Waterproof to 10' or 15', shockproof from like 5'. I subscribe to the Olympus news letter and have been able to occasionally find them for between $109 and $140. When I find them for cheap I buy 6 or 8 cameras so I have some for back up when my crews lose or break them or they stop working right. the video in the new once is comparable to most point and shoot still cameras.

I have some that the LCD screen got busted and they don't have an eye piece viewer. I am thinking of re-purposing them as action cams for the ATVs.

I have a Sony HD video camera with good zoom and I have seen similar video cameras for about $150 on some of the bargain sites like woot.com and retrevo.

Sanyo has a waterproof video camera with 30X zoom for $150 http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-VPC-WH1-.../dp/B001Q3M8IM

Have you ever contacted Olympus to see if they will repair them? I have no idea what the charge might be but it doesn't cost anything to ask. If it's work related then it should be a write off either way.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.