Thread: Wool underwear?

Live simple-Live free

Default Wool underwear?

Winter is surely coming. time to get out the cold weather gear for cleaning, inspection and repair- Also time to update some of our gear.
    I'm interested in getting some good wool underwear or long johns, whatever you may call them.
    What I would like to have is either a 2 piece set (top & bottoms) or a complete one piece suit, like the old union suit waay back in the day.
    Question is, where can you find them? They used to be common well into the sixties (grandad had some) modern synthetics took over since then but I know somewhere in the world they still make'em. Anyone have any info or suppliers for this stuff?
    Thanks...

Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

I get mine at Duluth Trading Company. Very light weight and very warm.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/...cessor=content
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have been using this stuff for a while and really, REALLY like their products. I have two "base layer" shirts and two sets of "base layer" bottoms.

http://www.minus33.com/catalog/men

I also have some older "Smart wool" shirts that I got from REI. They are pretty nice also. but I like the Minus33 stuff much better.

Quote Originally Posted by tsitenha View Post
    This stuff looks great. I could not really find much of a product description on most of their individual product listing. You have used their stuff and you like it? It sure looks good.
    Last edited by DSJohnson; 10-04-2013 at 12:21 AM.

No yet, my last pair of wool combination are in need of replacement and I was going to get a pair, to see if the quality is as good as the adds.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Live simple-Live free

Thanks guys. checked out the links, good stuff.

Ok, i'm really curious about this... I've never had wool underwear. But EVERY wool sweater or blanket I've ever worn/used has been super super itchy!!!! How is the underwear? I imagine it would drive me insane, but like I said, I've never used them.
    I use modern synthetics but am really interested and curious about this. To those of you who have used them- are they itchy? Or are they totally different from a woolen sweater or pants?
    I hear wool and first thing I think is "itchy"
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

It depends on the type of wool. Merino wool is pretty itch free.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It depends on the type of wool. Merino wool is pretty itch free.
    Plus one on that....great stuff....
    Have some of these.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cloth...3Bcat104035680
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

NightShade,
    It really does make a huge difference what kind and what quality of wool you are talking about. I will say that no matter what, if you start sweating it may get a little itchy. I am a Civil War Reenactor and wear wool britches and wool shirts over a wool union suit some times. If it is cold it is great, but in the summer when it is 90 degrees it is sure a challenge. Merino wool is basically in class of it's own for softness and comfort, with Alpaca next I guess. If you decide to try it out please DO NOT skimp. Take your time read the product reviews and just start with like a pull over long john top to see if wool is going to be okay. You might check Ebay for a deal on a Pendleton Shirt for a start also. They are pretty nice for a good "Woods" shirt

I like Alpaca as well. The neat thing about Alpaca is it's hypoallergenic and odor resistant. So you don't smell like an Alpaca if you're in your clothes for a few days.

Lots of current brands to look at. REI is a good resource, as is Campmor, Cabelas, etc.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Icebreaker do some nice gear and not too expensive either. Most of their stuff is made from merino also so its pretty much itch-free.
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

If I had to wear underwear made out of the old style wool, I would end up in prison