Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine_Sapper View Post
    Do you raise rabbits for pets, food, or resale ( or some reason I'm not seeing?)
    Main purpose was food,have raised them for that purpose since I was a child,my kids showed them in 4-h until last year,we have sold them to the Amish and others for meat,never advertised them,they stop and ask,have also sold them for breeding,and I have raised a few breeds mainly for show.Never as pets.
    Bragg,dressing weight was 5lbs.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by BraggSurvivor View Post
    nell, I always (use to) butchered at 6-7 weeks old, just before weaning. I liked the meat better and the texture was more like veal. Their weight was about 2-3 lbs dressed. Cant remember the breed.....i'll post when my wife gets home.
    What color were they? For meat breeds,I prefer,Californians,and New Zealand Whites and Reds.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Banned

Ya know nell, it was years ago, it was my wifes venture but I think they started out brown. If I remember correctly they ended up all sots of colors when she ended it.

We let a few loose and they did well for a year or two but I think the cougars got 99% of them. I still see the odd one running around.

Default to the original question

I'd drop that deer in a heartbeat before I'd accept foodstamps and I believe, that's the moral choice. I'm feeding family versus accepting handouts to feed my family. Sometimes illegal only means you got caught.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

I think that poaching is morally wrong. But, I really don't need to worry about it. Why, because in Georgia, you have small game which includes hogs from August 15 to the end of Feb., Deer is also in from mid Sept. to Dec. 21., Turkey starts mid March as does hog again till the end of May, which also incorp. trout fishing.

Let's see, then you have the Hooch, the Etawoh which holds large qtys of snapping turtles along with many other edible fish.

You can hunt coyotes, hogs, and beavers year round. I'll eat dog and rats if hungry.

I do not buy into poaching to feed the family.

If they are that bad off, there are many social programs that are made available not to mention clubs like coupon mom and others that help you get the most for your buck.

I would not shoot a deer out of season for any reason, now, I would however take out an old truck, speed a little on the back road, and if I see a deer, I just may accelerate.

I can put my ego to the side if I need to feed my family. It would be hard, but it's not about me, it's about the kids and wife.

Oh yeh, if SHTF scenario, all bets off.

That fluffy 30lb lazy arse cat that belongs to the neighbors, hmmmmm.....skin'm, stick an apple in it's mouth, and can you say Kitty on the Barby?
    Last edited by FVR; 04-02-2008 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    I would not shoot a deer out of season for any reason, now, I would however take out an old truck, speed a little on the back road, and if I see a deer, I just may accelerate.
    Reminds me of a Ron White joke where he talks about his brother who goes deer hunting, getting up early in the cold, pouring deer p*ss on himself, shooting it with some high velocity rifle. Ron responds that deer are "such elusive critters! " I hit one in a van going 50 mph. Try slowing your bullet down, putting a horn on it, and the deer will practically throw itself in its path.

Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Reminds me of a Ron White joke where he talks about his brother who goes deer hunting, getting up early in the cold, pouring deer p*ss on himself, shooting it with some high velocity rifle. Ron responds that deer are "such elusive critters! " I hit one in a van going 50 mph. Try slowing your bullet down, putting a horn on it, and the deer will practically throw itself in its path.
    Made me roar with laughter too. As to the original post I would rather try and fish first then to poach a deer. I would only do it in a SHTF scenario myself. If you got into such a poor situation that your family's next meal was in jeopardy there is always government programs. Swallowing your pride and feeding your family is better than going to jail and not being able to provide for them in the worst of times.
    “Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security”. Ben Franklin

Loser: When you can't do anything right and really don't care to

Quote Originally Posted by vagrant View Post
    Made me roar with laughter too. As to the original post I would rather try and fish first then to poach a deer. I would only do it in a SHTF scenario myself. If you got into such a poor situation that your family's next meal was in jeopardy there is always government programs. Swallowing your pride and feeding your family is better than going to jail and not being able to provide for them in the worst of times.
    Ah, but the question is, is it still poaching if you're on public land, next to the posted land? The main issue, as far as I can see it, would be that you are hunting in the middle of the city. Sure, the landowner may get mad that you killed one of the deer that frequent his land, but, technically, unless there is a law against taking game in the city, you wouldn't be doing anything wrong, right?
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

I'm not sure where you are from but from my little experience there are gaming laws in most areas. There are defined hunting seasons for specific weapons and methods. I would find any other method of supplying food to my family and consider poaching as a last resort. My state is incredibly strict on taking any game out of season and most hunters in this state would report signs of poaching. They would rather give someone the meat out of their freezer than to see them poach to feed a family. So, in essence, poaching imho is unethical.
    “Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security”. Ben Franklin

Loser: When you can't do anything right and really don't care to

Quote Originally Posted by vagrant View Post
    I'm not sure where you are from but from my little experience there are gaming laws in most areas. There are defined hunting seasons for specific weapons and methods. I would find any other method of supplying food to my family and consider poaching as a last resort. My state is incredibly strict on taking any game out of season and most hunters in this state would report signs of poaching. They would rather give someone the meat out of their freezer than to see them poach to feed a family. So, in essence, poaching imho is unethical.
    *shrugs* Call me immoral if you want considering I could care less what time of year it is, it's a moot point. I found this today;

Sec. 21-13. Missiles.

It shall be unlawful for any person within the city to throw stones or other missiles, or to shoot with a bow and arrow, or to shoot or discharge any stone or other missile with or from a sling or from an elastic spring.

So even if you were "in season", it would still be illegal.

Thanks for playing, everybody!
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams

See. At one of those city council meeting the conversation went like this....
    Councilman: "You know. That Alpine has been eyeing those deer in that vacant lot."
    2nd Councilman: "And he's just the type to try and poach 'em."
    3rd Councilman: "Probably with a bow and arrow. He's sneaky like that."
    Mayor: "All in favor of passing a law...."
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    See. At one of those city council meeting the conversation went like this....
    Councilman: "You know. That Alpine has been eyeing those deer in that vacant lot."
    2nd Councilman: "And he's just the type to try and poach 'em."
    3rd Councilman: "Probably with a bow and arrow. He's sneaky like that."
    Mayor: "All in favor of passing a law...."
    rofl. Yep, you got it.
    Samuel Adams

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

To eat or not to eat. I really don't see any reason to debate ethics since you can't eat them. I learned to hunt for meat. Before I was old enough for a gun I would go with another kid and set rabbit boxes in a few holes, check them them next morning, clean our catch and hope we didn't miss the school bus. Same with fish, a bunch of us without a license over 16 would fish out in the open. Usually one or two DID have a license so when the game warden came to check they ran like crazy, he chased them and we got away. Never felt any guilt about that either.

Coot - I don't think anyone has a problem if hunting and fishing is the ONLY option. You just do it. All I was saying is if there are other options available to get food then I wouldn't poach.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I would. Back in the days game wardens looked the other way when people poached for meat.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    - Greek Proverb

LOL!

I'd do it if it meant having the ability to not support a company who cares nothing of it's employees.

I'd also do it before I took food stamps, or at least before I asked for them.

If I had kids and a wife I'd have to ask myself and her and weigh the options. Is it better to have food and be self sufficient not supporting a truly corrupt system, or is it better to be safe and meek and not risk going to jail?

I don't believe poaching is right, nor do I believe hunting in illegal areas is right, but I also don't believe hunting for food is poaching. Poaching to me is hunting for $$.

Hey there FallenGun21. Quick! While them wardens aren't looking - head on over to the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Your OP doesn't specify what the hunting season and bag limit are, nor whether you have proper license, tags, etc.
    If you have proper license and tags, and hunting season is open for deer, then yes, go for it. If not, then don't, there are too many other, legal, options.
    Nearly all state game and fish agencies have a list you can get on to recover and salvage road-killed deer and other animals. Often this is free, but some agencies charge a nominal fee for a "tag". Lots of good meat, available year-round for the taking, even if the phone calls do come at odd hours. In an area where the deer have overpopulated in or near a suburban or urban area, there will be frequent deer/car accidents and plenty of meat.
    Wherefore, let us be thankful that there are still thousands of cool, green nooks beside crystal springs, where the weary soul may hide for a time, away from debts, duns and deviltries, and a while commune with nature in her undress. ~ George W. “Nessmuk” Sears ~

Well when I was homeless if a raccoon came into my camp or around it, If it could be got it was had. I think they knew it too, they gave us a wide berth... usually, Only one was ever foolish enough to come into camp, I missed him...3 times. Yes there were soup kitchens and such, but mostly any "assistance" was null and void without a valid address. Funny thing too, Never saw a single Game Warden, in over a years time. Police, yes; Game Warden, no.

I'll say this.... I'll be ethical,moral and legal as long as I've had food in the last couple of days.... on Day 3, don't count on it. An empty belly will change your mind more than most would believe. The more time that passes, the less ethical and law abiding you will become if no other source is available. At the very least you will think long and hard about it. The law of Survival is stronger than the law of any man.