Thread: Desert survival ideas.

Default Desert survival ideas.

Anyone got any scenario ideas? I was out playing around and couldn't think of any out in the flat valley areas. All I could think of is my truck broke down now what(almost became a reality when it barely started). In which case I would sit tight in the shade and stay hydrated until nightfall and hike back to civilization.

Maybe an overnighter in foot in the mountains? Idk... Didn't seem like there were many options like in other terrain.

This is a topic that i am most interested in learning. I've lived on the east coast all of my life and have no clue how to survive in the desert. From what I know it's the harshest and most difficult environment on earth. Death Valley got it's name for a reason.

I lived in Los Angeles for 36 years, and spent a fair number of days and nights out in the Mojave Desert and Death Valley. The most important thing my buddies and I did was to always have two 4x4 vehicles, plenty-- and I do mean plenty -- of water for each person, maps, food, proper clothing, and means to build shade (we used to string up old but servicable white sheets), as heat stroke is a killer. Let people know where you're going and when you'll return. Naturally, vehicle repair tools, tow straps, spare gas and good spare tires.

That said, as for a scenario, I suppose if a person went out into the California deserts alone, with little equipment, etc., and decided to go way off trail and bust around out in the middle of nowhere, had a vehicle breakdown, then what you mentioned you'd do would suffice, so long as you had plenty of water and knew where you were going. A good signal miror would come in handy to signal aircraft that patrol the desert. Of course, if you did not have your handy-dandy designated signal mirror, a side mirror broken off your vehicle would work... so long as you knew how to use a mirror to signal.

Most of the "lost in the desert" incidents with which I'm familar involved vehicles breakdowns, or wandering away from a vehicle or campsite with no clue how to return to camp, etc., running out of gas, or an accident of some kind. On occasion, in the Mojave Desert, some person would fall into a long abandoned mine shaft. That person would then be in some first rate trouble. Stay the Hell away from abandoned mine shafts, you desert travellers! And don't go out alone!

Of course, there are so many different kinds of deserts in various U.S. and world locations that no particular set of rules for one place applies to one in a distant land.

That's about all I can say about recreating in the desert. Great places... if you're prepared.

S.M.
    Last edited by Seniorman; 09-30-2013 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Correct typo
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Water Water and more water, For just a day trip into the Mojave I carry about twenty + gallons of water two 7GAL. containers a 5GAL. for the truck and a case of bottle water for each person, also shelter from the sun ( bed sheets) for shade are good and don't cost a lot. My vehicle has two batteries and I take a spare battery (every time), I carry a spare ECM, distributor, and starter plus about a 40 pound tool and spare parts box, at least 1 full size spare tire(usually two) , High Lift jack, come along, tow strap, recovery strap, ,winch 10,000 pound,5GAL. gas plus whatever EDC bag that you have, and 100 other little things I cant think of right now that always stay in the truck. The thing is I have been going into the Mojave and Sonora Deserts for more than 40 years and have never been stranded(stuck real good) a couple a times but always got out. anyway about 3 days worth of water (a gallon ) a day minimum per person. If your going out on a walkabout you should find out where the permanent water sources are, in the Mojave figure about 25-30 miles apart, and seniorman has it right watch out for the mine shafts.

Good info guys but I'm looking for some sort of scenario to practice not things to build a kit with. It sounds like maybe I should just go play around and build solar stills or something. Most scenarios here seem to be sit tight and signal.

1. Reason: You are skydiving and are blown way of course.
    2. Location: Mojave Desert - Death Valley
    3. Environment: Desert
    4. Season: October
    5. Weather: Clear
    6. Temperature: High temps in mid 90's. Low temps in low 60's.
    7. Number in party: You are alone.
    8. Health: No injuries.
    9. Equipment: You are wearing cargo pants, t-shirt and sneakers. You have your parachute, harness, helmet, gopro camera mounted to your helmet, goggles. In your pockets you have wallet, keys, mini key chain survival kit containing whistle, firesteel, small knife, pill fob with char cloth. You have no food or water.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 10-01-2013 at 06:23 AM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Stationed at Yuma for two years and not a summer went by without several SAR missions for people in the desert; some didn't make it.

I was never confronted by a survival sit... oh wait, I ran out of beer one night and I was over five miles from a bar. That WAS a disaster!
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Good one thanks crash!

I can maybe use a few sheets and a spool of para cord to simulate a parachute. I have to figure out how to so this safely, p obviously I shouldn't just go get dropped off with no water. Should I carry it and not drink unless its an emergency, or maybe cache somewhere nearby?

How far from the dz was I blown? What time of day? Having desert for miles in my backyard I could get dropped off as far away as I want, and maybe have to bed down a night.

Carry a full pack - let that be your simulated parachute harness. Have what you would need to be safe in the pack. Only use it if you need it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I use to do seismographic surveys in Nevada and New Mexico, and worked in the deserts a lot for a couple of years. Others here have covered the necessities pretty well. One of the best things I had in the back of my truck was a little Honda 125 dirt bike. When the truck got stuck or broke down, that little dirt bike would always get me out of there and back to civilization. I had a back pack I would use when riding the bike that had a small tire pump, and tube repair patches with enough tools to change a flat, and the essentials for survival.
    The little dirt bike saved me from several nights in the desert!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Carry a full pack - let that be your simulated parachute harness. Have what you would need to be safe in the pack. Only use it if you need it.
    This! , you can do your scenario with your vehicle on standby with a weeks worth of supplies , be safe and have fun.

Ok, here's a true story.
    While working in Zion National Park, we had a group of scouts on a backpacking trip in the backcountry, but on a trail. One of the guys, around 18 years old, overweight, out of shape, steps off the beaten path to dig a cat hole.

time passes, the guy doesn't return. they look for him, four days later they find his body.

Now, the scenario is, you're with a group.
    you get split from the group, you are in wind blown desert, no footprints to follow back.

eventually disoriented, you sit down, assess your situation, what you have with you

apparently this guy had a full pack and died of heat exhaustion

so, say you had a day pack, and no compass...on foot

seems easy enough, but, seriously, guess its not that easy cause people perish all the time. I think its panic driven.

Ideas?

http://thefemalesurvivalist.blogspot.com

In the end you find no one wins, and the race was only with yourself.

I picked up some sheets for this trip from goodwill today. Shortly before having a blowout with a family member and not having a place to stay. Looks like its off. If it wasn't for another member I met on here letting me stay at their place I would have been on my way back california way already. Thank god for good people...

I have no idea where I would even go now that I'm somewhere else. If I went out here it might turn a little too real. And I kind of have the screw this I'm going home attitude.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Aw sorry. That sucks.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Don't you hate that?......That sucks.
    Time to start planning another outing.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Up here its the opposite, can't walk a 1/4 mile without stepping into something. Only need to purify it. Would have a steep learning curve in a dry/desert environment
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket