Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heating

Question Heating

I sure hope this is the right section as this is my first post. Hubby and I bought an old 40 year old travel trailer. It's in great shape, has a bathroom with tub and shower, kitchen with stove, oven, refrigerator it's been kept well of course we are fixing it up, paint new curtains. We have bought solar panels that work great runs a little B/W TV with a DVD player and will run lighting. We bout it because we plan on retiring here in the desert. AND if the world goes to crap and we have to bug out of here. We live in Winslow AZ now for about 4 years, love it. Hubby has a good job....what we need to know, is about heating. What's the best way to heat a travel trailer, the desert where we are gets dustings of snow or up to a couple inches, doesn't last long, we're at 5000 ft so we have weather and seasons. It would have to be a low wattage electric heater or maybe a Chimineas, with pipping for the smoke to escape? Any info on how to solve this problem would be appreciated....we have stored water and food as we know we will not be able to have running water or use the kitchen appliances, that's really not an issues...it's not freezing to death
    Thanks

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.
    There is an introduction section
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

Our small camping trailer had a 115/12v conversion boc to run a 9000 btu propane furnace....kinda pricey in cold weather, but worked fine for hunting week ends and deer season.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

If wood isn't a option then I'm partial to a kerosene heater, Aladdin blue flame to be exact. I have two plus a iranian made model. My parents owned a trailer court in southeast tenn. Even with gas available most of their tenants used kerosene heaters.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Thanks...I did go to the introductions section....trying to find some way with out using Electricity unless it can put out decent heat that doesn't use too much wattage (solar panels)

What are your thoughts on cooling?........Most campers have got much for insulation which works both ways heat and cool.
    Is this gonna be a permanent location or mobile?

I will end up being permanent...it actually has central heat and air...unusual for a 40 year old RV.....

I would go with a couple of large solar panels, 2 or 4 deep cycle batteries, with a good size dc /ac inverter. Maybe even a small windmill to charge at night. This would allow you run a small electric heater, power tools, and many other electric items. These systems are expensive but in the long run they make it very comfortable and handy having a good source of ac power. I would not install it until I lived there full time because solar collectors will get stolen in short order if someone spots them, that would be the long term solution! For short term I would take a good generator out there when just spending the weekend and take it with me when I left.

i'm under the impression that solar power is expensive at start up but cheaper in the long run... is this true?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    If wood isn't a option then I'm partial to a kerosene heater, Aladdin blue flame to be exact. I have two plus a iranian made model. My parents owned a trailer court in southeast tenn. Even with gas available most of their tenants used kerosene heaters.
    Yup, I have a couple of Aladdin Blue flame heaters as back up too. They're great. You can also use them as a slow cooker, take the lid off, and most have a pot stand under there. You can't exactly boil water, but you can heat it, and slow cook a meal.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I was poking around one of the barns and found a couple aladdin tr-5000 kerosene heaters. I knew they were there but didn't know what flavour so to speak. I fired one up a few years back to warm up the work shop for a bullet casting session. Worked good, I believe the aladdin tr-5000 is around 16000 btu and the aladdin blue flame is about 9000 btu. Don't know much about the tr-5000, would like to know more.

The last time I used the blue flame was to heat up some hog brains for brain tanning.
    Last edited by randyt; 09-29-2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: added text
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Not expensive...you can get double long panels for under $100, check out Amazon.com.....and they have marine batteries for around $70

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDancer View Post
    Not expensive...you can get double long panels for under $100, check out Amazon.com.....and they have marine batteries for around $70
    Don't forget a charge controller and inverter!

What are the wattages on those panels?
    Also need a "dump load" with the charge controller.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    What are the wattages on those panels?
    Also need a "dump load" with the charge controller.
    That can be a light or lights inside the house, but remember, you need a sound basic design based on your anticipated loads. Don't just buy a bunch of stuff, hook it up, and find out that you have not bought the right devices that suit your needs. Only you can know which loads you want to suport with this system, and how long they will be fed from the solar system, so figure out you anticipated loads, and add some safety factor to make sure the system will support your electrical demands.

You need to look at a whole system.....the couple of panels and a battery may run a 2 volt light...or with an inverter a 40or 60 watt light....not enough for heating.

Check out systems and cost ......Good magazine....I have side lined the "energy manufacturing" until I have completed my energy conversation up grades on out "Place".....This was after an energy audit , more bang for your buck that way.
    http://www.homepower.com/

I sure hope this is the right section as this is my first post. Hubby and I bought an old 40 year old travel trailer. It's in great shape, has a bathroom with tub and shower, kitchen with stove, oven, refrigerator it's been kept well of course we are fixing it up, paint new curtains. We have bought solar panels that work great runs a little B/W TV with a DVD player and will run lighting. We bout it because we plan on retiring here in the desert. AND if the world goes to crap and we have to bug out of here. We live in Winslow AZ now for about 4 years, love it. Hubby has a good job....what we need to know, is about heating. What's the best way to heat a travel trailer, the desert where we are gets dustings of snow or up to a couple inches, doesn't last long, we're at 5000 ft so we have weather and seasons. It would have to be a low wattage electric heater or maybe a Chimineas, with pipping for the smoke to escape? Any info on how to solve this problem would be appreciated....we have stored water and food as we know we will not be able to have running water or use the kitchen appliances, that's really not an issues...it's not freezing to death
    Thanks
    I have not used solar panels for heating water.. It seems like effective and efficient technique.. I will try my luck and share experience soon

And don't bother with marine batteries. While they will work there are better options. Look for Absorbed Glass Mat or AGM batteries. They are leak/spill proof, do not out gas when charging and provide a better overall performance. They are expensive but they maintain voltage better, don't self discharge as quickly and tend to last longer. Since they don't out gas you can safely keep them indoors so you maintain better temperature control over them. A step down from AGM is Gel. They are also ventless so they can be kept inside. If I had it to do over I would have gone with the AGM instead of the marine batteries. Flooded batteries of any kind would be my last choice.

Here's a link to my small setup. It starts at post 19.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...light=sunforce
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

What about using propane? If you are setting up permanently, a large propane tank could run a small heater for quite some time as well as provide cooking and hot water. Propane does not go bad ever, unlike petroleum based fuels. I am not sure of the cost and whether you could get a tank filled on location or may have to work with a smaller tank that can be transported.

Just a thought...
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

40lb tanks will last a long time.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Husband and I spent a year in a converted school bus in Colorado. We had a propane heater and a propane cook stove. We would put terra cotta pots over the burners of the cook stove to radiate more heat. Even so, we would wake up in the morning with our pillows frozen to the walls and the dog's water bowl frozen solid. Of course, a school bus has no insulation just sheet metal. But a couple of propane heat sources were not enough to keep it comfortably warm.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!