Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice for a beginner on everything necessary for Living in the Wild.

Blog Entries

Nominations for "The Troll Hall of Fame" are now open.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

1. I wouldn't save it.
    2. Not even an honorable mention IMO.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Nessa - you have asked me to lift the ban because you are not a troll. Be that as it may - you do not have the maturity to interact with others on here. You posted a selfie holding a sign that was crude and vulgar. We have children on this forum - children younger than you.

You asked a question and got some serious replies. You also got replies that doubted that you were who you said you were. Why do you think that is? Let me help you a bit to understand.....Your post basically said I'm 16. I have no idea what I'm doing, but life sucks and I'm going to run away to the woods to live.

So you want complete strangers to give advice to a child on how to ditch life? No parents involved? Really?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Here's a real bit of advice. If you can't relate to most kids your age that you come across (I can understand that) find those who share your interests. Look at "Meet Ups", join a hiking club, volunteer for Peace Corps...there are tons of free things to take advantage of and learn some useful skills that will come in handy in reaching your goals.
    You need hands on experience and for that you have to plug in.

Holy cow. Much ado about nothin'. Keep movin' folks. Nothin' here to see.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Holy cow. Much ado about nothin'. Keep movin' folks. Nothin' here to see.
    When there's nothing to do yo make ado.

If that we my youngin' I'd be sorely concerned about her especially posting stuff like that on the internet. There are enough loons out here that would be more than happy to help her (he said sarcastically).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

If parents were more involved with their kids, they wouldn't have the need to check out like that. Notice, it's never a kid in the National Honor Society, someone who plays a team sport, or has close family ties. It makes me particularly sad because I know they aren't happy and they're looking for an escape. From a pot into a frying pan.

Every kid is susceptible I don't care where they come from. Kids have some weird brain cells until they get about 30 or so.

They say that 70 is the new 30.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Boy don't I know that. If I've managed to kill off all the bad brain cells and this is what's left I must have started out with some real duds.

"Neurons Rule!!! Let's party down dendrites."

Its the buffalo theory......
    Quote>
    Cliff expounds his "Buffalo Theory" to Norm:

“Well, you see, Norm, it’s like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it’s the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.” <Quote

http://www.davidstuff.com/humor/buffalo.htm
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I guess I missed the whole charade. I believe some of her story. I was never immunized but went to public school. Have only been to the dentist once and that was when i was around 25. Never been to the MD. I'd like to think I'm healthier than most and have perfectly capable teeth. I have a close friend who was told that it would be hard to get a girl pregnant because of something in his nether regions. It was checked when he was a child and never again since? But alas he gotten his fiance pregnant twice but they lost both of them early on. But those were because of his fiance's nether region is all messed up.

Regardless of all of this being fact or fiction, there was no need for the attitude that happened here. How much more would everyone be capable of getting more done if attitudes, name calling, and bickering were dropped and everything was discussed as adults.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

My daughter has had no vaccinations. She goes to public schools. Has only EVER been to the dr. when she broke her arm ice skating (was even born at home). She's been to the dentist once for a cleaning. Sure sounded like a 16 year old girl to me. California also has a personal belief waiver for vaccinations, but it's not too hard to get a medical waiver. There are a lot of reasons for not vaccinating.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Blog Entries

I just checked my kid's medical records.

Perhaps I'm not the average parent, but, as recommended, each of my 3 kids had regular preventive health care appointments with....

A pediatrician about 6 times between birth and their first birthday.

A pediatrician at about 18 months of age.

A pediatrician once each year between the ages of 2 to 12.

A physician once each year between the ages of 13 to 21.

A dentist once each year at ages 2, 3, 4, and every 6 months thereafter.

An optometrist at ages 1, 4, and every 2 years thereafter.

My daughter had her first gynecological visit at age 12 and every 2 years thereafter.

Hearing screens were held every 2 years at school.

Routine medical, dental, eye, hearing, and gynecological exams are conducted for a reason - preventive health care can often identify medical issues that would otherwise go untreated until they become major lifelong - and possibly fatal - medical conditions.

Those of you who are adults and choose not to schedule regular health appointments are old enough to make your own choices.

I respectfully suggest that you DO NOT have any legitimate ethical or moral right to deny your kids their recommended health exams.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Some of us do not think that way Ken. Since you do not know me, my kids, or our history, I suggest you back off with the judging.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Some of us do not think that way Ken. Since you do not know me, my kids, or our history, I suggest you back off with the judging.
    I'm not judging anything. I'm stating a fact.

Children are not old enough to make the decision on whether or not to have preventive health care exams. We are fortunate enough to live in a society where children have access to excellent and affordable or free medical care and examinations. We have a moral obligation to see that they receive it.

Unless we, as parents, have some super-human innate ability to ascertain the presence of an underlying or hidden medical condition, such as a failing kidney, scoliosis, a heart murmur, diabetes, glandular disorders, cavities or root decay below the gum line - and the list goes on and on - children should have the benefit of regular medical check-ups. We owe that to them.

We don't live in a third-world country.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

And even sometimes with routine Dr visits stuff is missed till it gets to a point it is life threatening, like with my sons celiac's diagnosis.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    Yea, if im in the wild i really dont care what my teeth look like.. so worst case scenario they rot out and im ugly. no biggy. Medical care, i could learn basic first aid and if nature kills me, at least il die natural the way nature intended, and il have a nice view while i take my last breaths I dont even use the cell phone i have now, it doesnt interest me and i dont see how id have reception anyway. what i have left of family now isnt that important to me other than my dad and he loves the wild too and whenever i ramble on about my future he says hel have a cabin miles away too. Im not a very attached person anyways, i see the temporary-ness in everybody and am pretty emotionally prepared for loss, i mean im used to it. Im not fertile so children are out of the question and i already have pessimistic views about the future so i wouldnt bring life into this world even if i could. and by furnace i meant woodstove, but made out of steel. Ive seen them before although im unsure of their proper name. And yeah poultry seems like a good idea but arent there wolves and bears? Ive heard of powdered eggs and such , so that could work until i ever found means of maintaining animals. As for transportation, id use my feet and a compass. Vehicles need gas and an open road and horses need maintenance. And i understand the financial part being a giant empty factor i havent figured out yet. It will probably kill me but i guess im gonna have to get a job and save up until im sitting on enough money to afford the only thing i really want to do. I could.. grow weed? Sell furs? i dunno.
    When you say, "no biggy" to medical and dental issues, especially if you die, all I can think is you've never been in real pain. Nature has a way of making a person Beg for help, it is indeed a biggy.

So, preventative care, and serious attitude towards this survival issue is paramount to Survival!

Camping and backpacking are both valuable ways to learn the skills you will need to pull off the dream you are talking about. And, some have found its way too hard to continue for any length of time.
    I'm a long distance backpacker and have met many with the dreams of wilderness cabins who later find out it just hurts too much. There's a reason the human species built houses and made mattresses and pillows, etc.

Well...Phooey...went through all the trouble to make a case for camping only to find out she's history. Next time I'll read the whole thread

I was off on an adventure, drove to Seward to check out the scenery!
    Last edited by thefemalesurvivalist; 09-25-2013 at 02:46 AM. Reason: oopsey.....

http://thefemalesurvivalist.blogspot.com

In the end you find no one wins, and the race was only with yourself.