Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for a beginner on everything necessary for Living in the Wild.

Default Advice for a beginner on everything necessary for Living in the Wild.

Hello everybody, my name is Vanessa, im 16 and brand new to this website. I live in civilized California and I honestly hate it from the pit of my existence. Ive never fit in with these petty teenagers and their superficial interests and all ive ever wanted to do since the first time i went camping (and still had clear sight of freeways and telephone poles) was move far far out into the wild where no one would ever walk across my homestead, and id never have to hear the sound of car motors racing across the freeway. I know im young and it seems like a temporary desire, but id really like to be taken seriously because moving to the wilderness is something i genuinely plan to do as soon as legally possible. I can do without the mass produced over processed food, dirty air and cable television, shopping malls and whatever other silly commodities people automatically assume a teenage girl cant live without. I do however recognize the immense amount of manual labor and planning required when considering living independently. My "plan" , or fantasy is once i find a husband with similar aspirations , we move either to the sequoia mountains, smokey mountains, or possibly even alaska, and build a log cabin. Ive watched the swift construction of many such cabins take place and with a few helpers , which is more than the simple strong two men required, we can build one pretty easily. Sounds naive but theres not much planning required as far as ive seen and im educated enough to do whatever measurements would be needed for a successful home. After building a log cabin and purchasing a furnace and simple amenities, i figured the only work necessary would be hunting, self sufficient farming, and gathering massive amounts of firewood before winter. Work sounds perfect because what else would you do to occupy yourself in the middle of nowhere, and it sure as hell beats sitting in an office.As far as my presumtions am i mislead? I would just like to know what is to be expected, and what i could do for preparation as of now, so when the time comes, which is only a few years away, i may have the mentality and preparation skills or at least realistic expectations for it to happen. I was also thinking, (my father is pretty lenient and im only a few months away from my diploma) would it be a good idea to camp out in Big Bear once im around 17 and just reside there long term for practice as a learning experience? I just want to know suggestions, where is a good beautiful place to live forever, what is required, what do i do now if i really expect myself to survive later. Most people ive met who really live in the wild have been raised that way since birth so.. i dont know! Help please. Am i in over my friggin head?

Here is some information that may answer some of your questions.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...t-Really-Works

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ve-in-the-Wild

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ld-a-log-cabin

If this is truly a dream and not just a fling, then map out your goal. Spend your time working toward that goal. You will need to buy the land - so you will need money - unfortunately there really are no free parcels available. Learn the skills you will need.

We've got several members that are doing what you want to do (or at least something close to it). It may mean taking a job as an apprentice to learn what you need.

The key for you will be to figure out exactly what you want, have a plan to get there and work that plan.

Good luck.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.

Get permission and support from your parents.

Start slow, camping out is a good start....making fire, finding and processing water, finding or growing plants, cook some meals and making shelter.

Work on finding a place you like, .....visit to see if it meets your expatiations...in more than one season.

Check out possible jobs for making money, learn what grows there, and how to garden,..... what hunting season are open and when, learn hunting methods, processing game, and cooking it.

Plan, gather materials, and build something,...... a shed at home is a good starting project.

The way is long, hard, expensive, but do-able.

Good luck
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

welcome home.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    After building a log cabin and purchasing a furnace and simple amenities, i figured the only work necessary would be hunting, self sufficient farming, and gathering massive amounts of firewood before winter............Am i in over my friggin head?
    Ummm, have you given any thought to medical and dental care? How about communications with the outside world? Cell phone? Transportation other than horseback or similar means? Schools for any children you may have? Clothing?

You wrote "furnace." I'm not familiar with any "furnace" that doesn't require electricity to engage a thermostat or run a pump or a fan.

Are you planning on raising livestock and poultry? Think milk, eggs, butter, cheese.... If not, you better be prepared for a very limited diet and a whole lot of time preserving food. Don't most states have limits on the number of deer, moose, bear, elk, etc. that you can take in any single year?

Your "fantasy" is certainly possible, but unless you have a source for generating cash or you become an expert at bartering, life as you know it will become a distant memory.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Yea, if im in the wild i really dont care what my teeth look like.. so worst case scenario they rot out and im ugly. no biggy. Medical care, i could learn basic first aid and if nature kills me, at least il die natural the way nature intended, and il have a nice view while i take my last breaths I dont even use the cell phone i have now, it doesnt interest me and i dont see how id have reception anyway. what i have left of family now isnt that important to me other than my dad and he loves the wild too and whenever i ramble on about my future he says hel have a cabin miles away too. Im not a very attached person anyways, i see the temporary-ness in everybody and am pretty emotionally prepared for loss, i mean im used to it. Im not fertile so children are out of the question and i already have pessimistic views about the future so i wouldnt bring life into this world even if i could. and by furnace i meant woodstove, but made out of steel. Ive seen them before although im unsure of their proper name. And yeah poultry seems like a good idea but arent there wolves and bears? Ive heard of powdered eggs and such , so that could work until i ever found means of maintaining animals. As for transportation, id use my feet and a compass. Vehicles need gas and an open road and horses need maintenance. And i understand the financial part being a giant empty factor i havent figured out yet. It will probably kill me but i guess im gonna have to get a job and save up until im sitting on enough money to afford the only thing i really want to do. I could.. grow weed? Sell furs? i dunno.

Blog Entries

Yea, if im in the wild i really dont care what my teeth look like.. so worst case scenario they rot out and im ugly. no biggy. Medical care, i could learn basic first aid and if nature kills me, at least il die natural the way nature intended, and il have a nice view while i take my last breaths I dont even use the cell phone i have now, it doesnt interest me and i dont see how id have reception anyway. what i have left of family now isnt that important to me other than my dad and he loves the wild too and whenever i ramble on about my future he says hel have a cabin miles away too. Im not a very attached person anyways, i see the temporary-ness in everybody and am pretty emotionally prepared for loss, i mean im used to it. Im not fertile so children are out of the question and i already have pessimistic views about the future so i wouldnt bring life into this world even if i could. and by furnace i meant woodstove, but made out of steel. Ive seen them before although im unsure of their proper name. And yeah poultry seems like a good idea but arent there wolves and bears? Ive heard of powdered eggs and such , so that could work until i ever found means of maintaining animals. As for transportation, id use my feet and a compass. Vehicles need gas and an open road and horses need maintenance. And i understand the financial part being a giant empty factor i havent figured out yet. It will probably kill me but i guess im gonna have to get a job and save up until im sitting on enough money to afford the only thing i really want to do. I could.. grow weed? Sell furs? i dunno.

You are absolutely clueless, and I really think that you're a troll.

If not, do yourself a favor and work as hard and as long as you need to and save up enough money to buy yourself an affordable condo. Contact your local social services agency and immediately sign up for a class in basic living skills.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Blog Entries

It will probably kill me but i guess im gonna have to get a job and save up until im sitting on enough money to afford the only thing i really want to do. I could.. grow weed? Sell furs? i dunno.
    Here's a suggestion: Sell your brain for medical research. You're not using it.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Nessa, what your wanting to say is doable. I first want to challenge you with something. You are 16yo, and you stated that you want to be where no one will come across you. This tells me that you are probably going through a rough spot in your life. Typical, as all teens go through at least a bit of a wanting to withdrawl. I encourage you to go camping, learn skills, and experience all that you can in this world. Whether or not you succeed, one day you will have to look back at your life and you will wish that you repaired any relationships and/or hurt.

If it is a spat with your folks, work with them.
    If it is a bad home environment, seek help from a school counselor.
    If it is school, go to a school counselor and your parents.
    If it is a boyfriend, there are more guys out there...... unless you lose your teeth! (just kidding a bit)

Basically, whatever trials you are dealing with, there is a way through. Even if you accomplish your dream, you will not be happy unless you have fixed the issue. You can run from yourself, but you won't get far.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Ken, your pretentious attitude served me a good laugh, although im surprised you think im a troll. Through my sixteen years of living, ive been to the dentist once, before i could even remember.(my teeth are fine) And i highly doubt that occupants of rural farms really take an annual drive for their yearly check-up, so i dont know whats so odd about that. Same with doctors, I dont have health insurance and i dont have common visits ever..(im healthy) What i say is true and for someone talking so smart, itd seem you would have the common sense to look at the title of where your commenting at, i am clueless, thats why im here and the sole purpose of this post. Wood-stove? is there something funny about that? Im unsure thats kind of why im asking. So i hope downgrading a teenage girl gave you a good ego boost, hoorah for you sir, your smarter than the average civilized sixteen year old, you should get an award for that. At least i have the reassurance of superior intellect because i know thats something i would never waste my time trying to do.And the last part is a little something called subtle humor, get over it. Its clear to me your so ignorant and hollow you probably have nothing beneficial to offer me anyways considering your naive enough to draw presumptions about my life, like a lack of knowledge in basic living /You are really rude. Why are you so intolerant of a shortfall of primitive knowledge? Not everyone has the blessing of being born into undomesticated land, so why hold expectations and be so offensively critical? "move to a condo" . Pfah, hah. Whats wrong with you? Your infected with insolence. Are people not born into your acquired lifestyle unworthy of living it? get real. Do you really have nothing better to do but attempt to make other people look stupid? Thats like if i were teaching a kindergartner the alphabet and laughed at them for not knowing the correct order. That would say im an insecure arrogant bastard. just go if you dont have any credible advice to give. leave. thanks for the laugh though (: and i like your avatar.
    Last edited by Nessa; 09-23-2013 at 03:23 AM.

(: thank you all. When i get a backyard, the shed idea is going down. fantastic idea.

Nessa - rather than focus on the response that you did not like, why not focus on the others......unless of course you didn't like any of them. While at 16 you may think dental hygiene is all about appearance, you would be incorrect. Also at 16 you may not see a need for medical services, you will if you intend to grow older or receive a serious injury.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Ken, your pretentious attitude served me a good laugh, although im surprised you think im a troll. Through my sixteen years of living, ive been to the dentist once, before i could even remember.(my teeth are fine) And i highly doubt that occupants of rural farms really take an annual drive for their yearly check-up, so i dont know whats so odd about that. Same with doctors, I dont have health insurance and i dont have common visits ever..(im healthy) What i say is true and for someone talking so smart, itd seem you would have the common sense to look at the title of where your commenting at, i am clueless, thats why im here and the sole purpose of this post. Wood-stove? is there something funny about that? Im unsure thats kind of why im asking. So i hope downgrading a teenage girl gave you a good ego boost, hoorah for you sir, your smarter than the average civilized sixteen year old, you should get an award for that. At least i have the reassurance of superior intellect because i know thats something i would never waste my time trying to do.And the last part is a little something called subtle humor, get over it. Its clear to me your so ignorant and hollow you probably have nothing beneficial to offer me anyways considering your naive enough to draw presumptions about my life, like a lack of knowledge in basic living /You are really rude. Why are you so intolerant of a shortfall of primitive knowledge? Not everyone has the blessing of being born into undomesticated land, so why hold expectations and be so offensively critical? "move to a condo" . Pfah, hah. Whats wrong with you? Your infected with insolence. Are people not born into your acquired lifestyle unworthy of living it? get real. Do you really have nothing better to do but attempt to make other people look stupid? Thats like if i were teaching a kindergartner the alphabet and laughed at them for not knowing the correct order. That would say im an insecure arrogant bastard. just go if you dont have any credible advice to give. leave. thanks for the laugh though (: and i like your avatar.

I don't believe a word of your posts. There are far too many inconsistencies. Don't blow smoke up my azz, okay?
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Nessa just take your time and learn bushcraft well, get a backpack and some basic essentials, go camping and learn to use them. You have plenty of time to learn! PS, welcome to the forum!

Howdy welcome aboard!!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Now may i make a suggestion, Try using paragraphs when you post .
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

You could even go with threeagraphs or fouragraphs if necessary.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You could even go with threeagraphs or fouragraphs if necessary.
    I forgot about those, I'm still in the paragraph stage.

Ken's right. Major inconsistencies in Nessa's story. IMO, she doesn't use a language any 16yr old would use...whether she fits in her world or not. Something is amiss, and I guess, we'll find out soon enough. We always do.

Blog Entries

California, huh? I have this crazy feeling that maybe, just maybe, he, I mean she, has been on the Forums before. Did she come from the WEST, or the SOUTH, or maybe from France?
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark