Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chiggers and such.

Bike shorts, Bermuda Shorts, Cargo Short.......eventually I pull them all off or the flies get bad.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Seriously, I let that line go and nobody but nobody ran with it. [/COLOR]

What happens in Florida, stays in Florida....and from a guy with underwear on his head(?)....Not going there......LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

as a kid, once we had chiggers in our legs, Mom would cover the bites with nail polish. It cuts off their oxygen and they die, or that was how I was told? Havent had any bites since then, just ticks, flies, skeeters.

Have them all over in the first coupe of months of summer....June and July....grass and even in the gravel.
    When the welts show up....they are already gone...nail polish won't really do any good.

Best luck I've had is 2 % ammonia stick, (skeeter stick) to stop itch....then Preparation H Cool Gel.....

the polish stopped the itch, is all I remember. we moved to CO and it was no longer an issue for me. No ticks and not much in the way of skeeters where we lived back then. Too cold at night and too dry.

This is a survival forum and none of you have mentioned a way to naturally control chiggers and bug bites...WHAT???
    What will you all do if/when you can not go buy OFF, Deet, Permetherin, etc...?
    Not to mention all the chemicals that your body is absorbing from those sprays.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    Ever heard of the Beauty Berry Bush?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0703091932.htm

This is the only insect repellent that I use now...it works a whole lot better than any thing you can buy at a store.
    NOW..Here's a priceless tip about stopping the itching of chigger bites or any other itching for that matter..you can thank me later.

Green black walnuts....grate the green walnut hulls up (use a cheap cheese grater) and rub on bites and no more itching, it will stain your skin for a few days though but I will take stained skin over the torture of chigger bites any day.
    I make a tincture with the grated green walnut hulls and 91% rubbing alcohol or everclear but you can use just the grated hulls or just slice off a piece of the hull and rub on the bites.
    Green walnut juice will also cure ringworm too.

Hunte63 saying Hey and Welcome.....

This it?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callicarpa

Read that article and found no mention of chiggers.

Quote Originally Posted by paletowodi View Post
    This is a survival forum and none of you have mentioned a way to naturally control chiggers and bug bites...WHAT???
    What will you all do if/when you can not go buy OFF, Deet, Permetherin, etc...?
    Not to mention all the chemicals that your body is absorbing from those sprays.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    Ever heard of the Beauty Berry Bush?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0703091932.htm

This is the only insect repellent that I use now...it works a whole lot better than any thing you can buy at a store.
    NOW..Here's a priceless tip about stopping the itching of chigger bites or any other itching for that matter..you can thank me later.

Green black walnuts....grate the green walnut hulls up (use a cheap cheese grater) and rub on bites and no more itching, it will stain your skin for a few days though but I will take stained skin over the torture of chigger bites any day.
    I make a tincture with the grated green walnut hulls and 91% rubbing alcohol or everclear but you can use just the grated hulls or just slice off a piece of the hull and rub on the bites.
    Green walnut juice will also cure ringworm too.
    I don't know where you are. But, I have used most plants in my area. Including beauty berry, wax myrtle, dog fennel and others I can't remember right now. My brother and dad were purests, that though insect spray was for puXXies and gave you away to game. They did buy into thermacells.

I can promise you that beauty berry isn't even close to the ability of deet. If you don't have anything better. If you can make and essential oil mix between a few plants. But, all of that is old knowledge and the old timers didn't use any of that when it really came to skeeter's peak activity.

Smudge pots during peak days and EVERYBODY got inside or under a skeeter bar before sunset. Deet was the game changer.

I use DEET. I have camped in sworms of Gallinippers in uncut grass. I have camped in mangroves with those godforsaken creatures alternating between buzzing my ears and draining my blood. But, my daily existence is with two of the most deadly mosquitoes on earth.

I use DEET!

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    I don't know where you are. But, I have used most plants in my area. Including beauty berry, wax myrtle, dog fennel and others I can't remember right now. My brother and dad were purests, that though insect spray was for puXXies and gave you away to game. They did buy into thermacells.

I can promise you that beauty berry isn't even close to the ability of deet. If you don't have anything better. If you can make and essential oil mix between a few plants. But, all of that is old knowledge and the old timers didn't use any of that when it really came to skeeter's peak activity.

Smudge pots during peak days and EVERYBODY got inside or under a skeeter bar before sunset. Deet was the game changer.

I use DEET. I have camped in sworms of Gallinippers in uncut grass. I have camped in mangroves with those godforsaken creatures alternating between buzzing my ears and draining my blood. But, my daily existence is with two of the most deadly mosquitoes on earth.

I use DEET!

I live on the edge of the delta of Mississippi and have for almost 50 years now, so I can tell you for sure that the Beauty Berry works better than deet. If I rub down with beauty berry leaves or the tincture that I make from the plant, I can pick blackberries in my pasture and not get chiggers on me, I walk through my almost waist high hay fields and may get 1-3 ticks off of my clothes. I can enjoy sitting outside in my backyard in the summer evenings and nights and not be "eaten alive" by the no-see-ums and skeeters and I use only the Beauty berry bush for protection. I even camp in a hammock with no bug net and do not get bites thru the night on my hands and face.

You should read the article that I posted the link to in my prior post and if it's not working for you...well then it may be user error.

I read your posted link.....

Gotta say I haven't used Beauty Berry nor even heard of it....So I'm gonna just take your word for it.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by paletowodi View Post

You should read the article that I posted the link to in my prior post and if it's not working for you...well then it may be user error.
    Post number 3 and you are telling us we don't know how to click on a link?

You get the congeniality award for the week.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

We have American Beautyberry (Callicarpa americana) where I am. I can't comment on its effectiveness against chiggers, but I can say with 100% certainty that the crushed leaves do not work as well (on me) for repelling mosquitoes as DEET does.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Post number 3 and you are telling us we don't know how to click on a link?

You get the congeniality award for the week.
    And you get the award for not being able to understand..LOL

If the beauty berry is not working for him then it may be user error...kinda like your misreading my statement.

There have been several scientific test ran on the Beauty Berry Bush that confirm it's effectiveness as an insect repellent, the military is even using it. I know that in all my years of living on a farm, working outside, hunting, fishing, camping, etc. it's one of the best repellents that I have found and yes, I have used deet, permetherin and others even used to use sulfur when I was coon hunting.

Well it's like this....
    Not even sure if it grows in Wisconsin....Would have to research it farther.
    If was so effective, why haven't I heard of it before this?

If it does, not sure if it could be prepared for use in the bush.....
    Not sure if "I could use it properly".....

None of the references (yes, I'm old but have mastered "link clicking"....swiping still hard for me).. mention chiggers, subject of this thread,.....

I'll stick to the tried and true "Deet" and commercial preparations for mosquitoes......

I will however, run your plant by Andy....the across the street neighbor, a scientist, that currently is working for Johnson Wax insect repellent group, on the Zika Virus........but happens to be in Rio at the moment.

Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I read your posted link.....

Gotta say I haven't used Beauty Berry nor even heard of it....So I'm gonna just take your word for it.
    Hunter, that's what you said 4 years ago in this thread.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...t=beauty+berry

And I posted about using it for a repellent around the same time.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...t=beauty+berry

EPA on DEET safety and effectiveness.

https://www.epa.gov/insect-repellents/deet

Here is a Popular Science article that argues both sides.

http://www.popsci.com/article/science/deet-safe-use

American Beauty Berry grows very well in the everglades region. It is often listed as an insect repellent. But, it is not one of the botanical alternatives that people are offering as natural alternatives.

The OP stated he crushed the leaves and that was how he utilized it. I have tried this on multiple occasions. I have also introduced people to that plant as a possible use if nothing better was available. I have a friend who makes a mix from his backyard, which is very heavily planted with lush tropical plants. He uses it and says it works ok. But, not as good as DEET.

In fact, every article I have read from credible sources say DEET is by far the best repellent.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Hunter have you not learned?

Never mess with a man who is obsessed with his berries!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Just like most other forums like this....my post was deleted.
    My post gets deleted because I did not refute with facts and sources...????? and attacked a member..LOL

Where are hunter63's facts and sources?? OH yeah..He does not need any, he's in the little clique....

Now I remember why I never try to share any known knowledge with people like those here..they already know everything and would rather destroy the eco-system, their own bodies, pollute the water we have to drink , etc. than really survive.

I've been living off the land for many years and do not use any modern medicines not even an aspirin, no chemicals, etc., I raise a garden organically, etc too. I have not had a cold even in over 7 years, not had to go to the doctor in that many years also for any kind of health problems ( yes I do have annual check ups). I have no health problems.
    Now you all keep using the man made things you can buy and enjoy your cancer, heart disease and high blood pressure, etc.
    I will take the things that I would share with you all move on with my life and continue to survive. I see that there is no room for real life help or survival knowledge here.

Have a nice life.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Hunter have you not learned?

Never mess with a man who is obsessed with his berries!
    I guess you are correct......still doesn't do me any good way up nort, here , don'tchano.

Anyway, didn't think in need state references....when just taking someone word for it.

Not going to waste any more time with this......

Aw geez....tick tock tick tock....
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness