Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forum Images

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    SO how did you get 2dumb and ken to pose for that picture!!!
    Oh you know, I may be a rough and tough Alaskan chick but I used to be a sweet talking, eyelash batting, southern bell. It comes in handy.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Technically, using an avatar from UP is infringement (you could always argue fair use, and that issue is so grey its hardly worth talking about), using an avatar from Willy Wonka is infringement. I'm covered by the DMCA, and it is highly unlikely someone is going to sue you personally, especially Disney. Disney, and media companies like it, generally don't want to have the news stories where they sue fans. The people that do sue are the people who sell photos (the stock photo places, corbis, gettyimages, etc), and they have software that scours the Internet looking for their work. So its like, that really nice landscape photograph. Like say the one in the forum header, that I bought from a stockphoto place. It isn't something you'd recognize as protected, just some photograph, but its owned by a big stock photo company and threatening people is their bread and butter.

I'm mostly concerned about the sexy picture issues. So we have to make sure to keep things rated G. The copyright issue, just use a little common sense. You're not going to be sued for reposting a meme that is all over the internet (and actually you're unlikely to get sued for anything you post, but it does create work for me responding to a DMCA complaint if it get it). But if you find some really nice nature photo you want to share, but you're not sure if it is protected, err on the side of caution and link to it.

Thanks Chris, If needed I have no issue changing my avatar!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    One thing I would like everyone to know and I run into this fairly often, just because a photo doesn't have © and/or a name it doesn't mean that it is not copyrighted. A photo is copyrighted the instant the photographer creates it by pushing the button on the camera. Cropping the © off the picture does not make it free for the taking.

On my blog, I can tell what pictures are looked at and where the person looking has come from and where they go when they leave my site. Some interesting things come from that information. I also regularly do an image search for my most popular photos. I've found a couple over the years.

hum, that is a scary thought, I haven't done that and wonder what exactly you type in...your name and Images?

http://thefemalesurvivalist.blogspot.com

In the end you find no one wins, and the race was only with yourself.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by thefemalesurvivalist View Post
    hum, that is a scary thought, I haven't done that and wonder what exactly you type in...your name and Images?
    My favorite way is to just click and drag my picture into the search box of google images. So easy.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Would my avatar be considered too sexy since I'm a superhero?
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    Perhaps some pasties would help tone it down a bit
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    One thing I would like everyone to know and I run into this fairly often, just because a photo doesn't have © and/or a name it doesn't mean that it is not copyrighted. A photo is copyrighted the instant the photographer creates it by pushing the button on the camera. Cropping the © off the picture does not make it free for the taking.

On my blog, I can tell what pictures are looked at and where the person looking has come from and where they go when they leave my site. Some interesting things come from that information. I also regularly do an image search for my most popular photos. I've found a couple over the years.
    A picture I had taken of my front yard garden found its way into an ad for a large fairly well known company. I told them I thought $500 was fair, and they paid.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    A picture I had taken of my front yard garden found its way into an ad for a large fairly well known company. I told them I thought $500 was fair, and they paid.
    I'm waiting until Time and G.Q. magazines steal my photo for their "Man of the Year" covers.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

holy moly....but I'm sorta scared to do a search like this....you know what "they" say, never google yourself...you won't sleep well for a LONG time

http://thefemalesurvivalist.blogspot.com

In the end you find no one wins, and the race was only with yourself.

I googled myself plenty of times and it's not that bad. They didn't have any of the serial killer convictions (overturned on appeal), stalking arrests (simple misunderstanding) or even the thingy about the SWAT standoff. All in all I thought I came out looking pretty good.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    Most definitely!
    Might consider switching the skirt for some tights.