Thread: Ruck Sack Packing 101

Banned
    Blog Entries

That is some great information. I always provided my soldiers a packing list and we had a unit standard operating procedure for how to pack a ruck. This served to both prevent overpacking and that you always knew where something was in your buddies pack in case of an emergency. Thanks for posting.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

I agree. It was a well thought out article. The one thing I didn't see and is a must have for me is a first aid kid. Mine is carried on the outside of the pack and sometimes on a drop rig just to make it accessible in an emergency.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Good article. I have a few things to shuffle around and some dejunking to consider.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

That's a pretty good article, I like the logic.....
    Thanks.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

I wish I'd seen that last year. I nearly killed myself loaded up with my camping gear waiting for a train. A gust of wind caught me and the uneven weight of my backpack nearly put me headlong into the tracks. There's nothing like a near death experience to teach you how to pack properly.
    +1 on the FAK I always put mine in the same pocket.
    Good post.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

wm86 is absolutely right including critical items in your pockets as well. One of the first things we were taught in SF training was ruck packing for both contents and weight distribution (taught an old dog new tricks like the video does).
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Over the years, I have looked upon occasion for a military load out list, understanding they tend to be intended for fight, (heavy on ammo/water) and move, not camp......I have never seen a general description in any manual.

I'm a pocket guy my self, and would like to think that in a real pinch, the basics are "on my person" at all times.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27