Thread: Python Crushed 60-Pound Pet Siberian Husky to Death

Blog Entries

Default Python Crushed 60-Pound Pet Siberian Husky to Death

Here's another one for your list, Rick. This happened in Florida.

Python Crushed 60-Pound Pet Siberian Husky to Death

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz2eteuQTnj
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

A Florida family watched in horror as a gigantic snake slithered through their back yard and crushed their pet Siberian Husky to death
    I do believe a machete would have come in handy.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That was my first thought crash... Actually, I thought axe, then read on to the part with the sheers and wondered why the son didn't hack the head off with those. Then thought well, I would definitely own several machetes and have them around the house just in case.

The problem I have with the article is it said they watched the snake approach their dog. Why would they simply watch it approach their dog?

A .38 loaded with snake shot would have worked wonders, held about six inches from the snake's head.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Killing the snake might have saved the dog. It might as well have caused muscle spasm involving far stronger muscular contraction that a live snake would cause.

I suppose I would have certainly tried though. A large snake is a magnificent animal, but one's dog is family.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I got the impression from the article that the snake was observed before it grabbed the dog, but it could just be the way the article was worded.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I read another article that said they discovered the snake already wrapped around the dog. Also, the dog had bitten the snake several times near the head. The dog likely provoked the attack and was most likely dead before it was discovered. Also that snake could not have eaten that dog.

The snake was captured alive and was euthanized.

If you live in South Florida this is your reality. You have to watch your pets. Predation on pets by alligators is well documented, crocodiles jump 4' out of the water to take dogs that size off of docks, panther predation on pets is on the rise, smaller animals fall victim to coyotes and now pythons and large monitor lizards have come to the buffet.

Watch your pets...

Blog Entries

Gotta' put them on leashes.

The Gators, I mean.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark